Advice on elk season dilemma

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually hunt Colorado archery elk and deer together however I won't have any vacation time until rifle season. According to the backdoor check I drew my deer tag. Deer tag cost me zero points, elk would be otc. I'm resident so minimal tag costs. Prefer to hunt archery but would rather eat elk. Rifle elk area is more honey hole than my archery area.

Option 1. Weekend hunt during archery for deer and elk. (Only have time for labor day weekend and one other weekend, not all weekends in the season)

Option 2. Turn in deer tag and only hunt rifle elk. Reasons for turning in deer tag are I can put that trip money towards a new rifle scope which I currently don't have one at all and more time at the range.

Option 3. Turn in deer tag so I focus only on elk during archery. Con to this is I don't like the odds of five non consecutive days to get it done.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How much do you like your job?

In all honesty, I've turned down a couple job offers in the past because during September they had their "all hands on deck" policy.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much do you like your job?

In all honesty, I've turned down a couple job offers in the past because during September they had their "all hands on deck" policy.
Normally time off isn't a problem. With the hail storm that hit Denver they limited everyone to 5 days through sept. Already have 5 approved so can't add anymore.

bz_711

WKR
You can't go wrong as long as you're hunting elk this fall - Best of Luck!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep in mind you loose $15 turning in your tag so realistically you're gaining <$20 to turn in the deer tag... I say keep it even if you only spend a weekend on it, better than nothing. Otherwise you'll be pacing the house till rifle season. ;)