72 early elk

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a 72 early rifle tag and haven't stopped smiling since. I am basically a wilderness backpack hunter and will be packing into the wilderness. I am in process of ordering maps and will talk to the bio. I will be taking a 4 day backpacking trip in July to get the lay of the land and locate some areas of interest. Thanks and happy hunting. We will take plenty of pics and share after the hunt. Good luck

BagNTagM

FNG
Congrats on the tag! I hunted the Jarbidge for my wifes cow tag a few years back. It was truly an awesome experience being out there with all the bulls bugling. Are you planning on hiring someone to pack your bull out if you are successful? Good luck with your scouting and hunt this fall.

OP
M

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I believe we are going to hike and maybe have a packet lines up in case we kill one deep we will be carrying camp with us and keep on the move. Really looking forward to the hunt. What type of bull quality were you seeing in there thanks

BagNTagM

FNG
Im not the best at judging bulls, but we saw 2 6x6 around 330 and 1 7x7 that was bigger..maybe around 350. Saw a few spikes and a couple smaller framed 4x and 5x's. We went in from the north, made it about 5-6 miles in, the amount of cow hunters there took me by surprise. Still it was a great experience, Jarbidge is beautiful country.

lif

WKR
Yu guys have any info on finding a hrd outside of the wilderness in 72. My wife drew a cow tag for the rut season and we want to get in and out without too much disruption to the bull hunters and the herds in general? Any info would be appreciated.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
I believe we are going to hike and maybe have a packet lines up in case we kill one deep we will be carrying camp with us and keep on the move. Really looking forward to the hunt. What type of bull quality were you seeing in there thanks
I hunted it with my wife last year late season and it was tough but while scouting in July and September we did see one 7x7 about 340-350 but saw lots of 280 - 320 6x6's and 5x5's. My sister in law killed a good 6x6 in the early season and then it got unseasonably hot during the second season and had a full moon which seemed to make it really tough. I drew this tag this year but for early season this time. I will be scouting it at least twice this year before my hunt.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
Yu guys have any info on finding a hrd outside of the wilderness in 72. My wife drew a cow tag for the rut season and we want to get in and out without too much disruption to the bull hunters and the herds in general? Any info would be appreciated.

I did not see alot of cows during the hunt but on labor day weekend I saw a big herd of at least 75 cows with about 12 bulls around and they were on the northeast tip of the wilderness with a few cows and bulls over towards elk mountain but I was surprised that we didnt see more cows.

InPursuit

FNG
I'll be in there on the 16th with the archery tag. Does anyone have any good leads for someone to pack our bull out should we knock one down?

InPursuit

FNG
Thanks NVGoose... I'll give them a call and go over the details on their service.... Any experience on how vocal if at all these elk will be in Mid August?, and the likely hood of finding them in velvet a the beginning of the archery hunt?

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
I scouted them over the 4th last year and then not again until Labor Day - they were vocal then but I don't know about velvet in mid-August.

530Chukar

WKR
+1 for Cottonwood Ranch. They've had a base camp in the area forever. I hunted with them a hand full of years ago. Top notch.

InPursuit

FNG
Packing up and heading out in 9 days for this hunt. Looking forward to a wilderness back pack adventure! A solar eclipse in the Jarbidge is icing on the cake!

lif

WKR
I'll be there with my wife in September for cow hunt. Can't wait. Eclipse is a nice icing.

InPursuit

FNG
If anyone knows a packer in 72, besides the two guides that have permits there, or a local that would be interested in making some extra money, please let me know.

Rangerz

FNG
Might try in Jarbidge and see if there any locals who might be interested.

Good luck on the hunt, I have a muzzleloader tag for Sept.1 to the 16th and will be interested to hear how you did.

InPursuit

FNG
Thanks... I seen there was a flash flood warning in Elko yesterday on The Weather Channel. You guys getting pounded over there? My bother and my dad got packed into the Rubies with two deer tags this afternoon.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone knows a packer in 72, besides the two guides that have permits there, or a local that would be interested in making some extra money, please let me know.

Might be worth a call to gun world and archery in Elko, the boys there are very helpful, and knowledgeable, even ran into one of their bow tech's up in the hills hunting.
Mike

InPursuit

FNG
Great idea Mike, I'll call Gun World in Elko. Picked up a sweet hat last time I was there.