5 Pin Yardage for Elk

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd see what y'alls thoughts are on adjusting my pin yardage.

I've hunted elk 15+ years, 8 of which have been archery. I've always used a 5 pin set at 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60. I'm considering changing the yardage for each pin because they are so stacked. I'm thinking of going 25, 40, 50, 60 & 70. I should have plenty of time to get used to their new location.

I'd like to have the 70 yard pin and honestly the difference between 20 & 30 on an elk is negligible. I know I could just go to a single pin adjustable site but I'd rather spend that money somewhere less.

Do you think it's a bad idea to adjust my pins after all these years?

Thanks guys and good luck out there this year!

packer58

WKR
30, 40, 50 ,60, 70 yards for me. Iv'e never been at a disadvantage without a 20 yrd pin. Shoot your 30 at 20 and note the difference......make the adjustment.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm not a big fan. In all those years of archery how many elk have you had within 35 yards? Either elk you shot at or elk that were "almost" shot. Personally most of my encounters have been closer, not farther. So why would you put an emphasis on the longer pins? Or you could solve all issues and go single pin! Set it for 25 and shoot out to 35 easily. After that if I don't have time to range the shot and adjust my slider I shouldn't be shooting anyway.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a big fan. In all those years of archery how many elk have you had within 35 yards? Either elk you shot at or elk that were "almost" shot. Personally most of my encounters have been closer, not farther. So why would you put an emphasis on the longer pins? Or you could solve all issues and go single pin! Set it for 25 and shoot out to 35 easily. After that if I don't have time to range the shot and adjust my slider I shouldn't be shooting anyway.

I hear ya on the single pin. I just don't want to spend the money on one yet. Maybe next year.

Every elk I've killed has been roughly 15 yards... so there's that. But I've had countless encounters in the 50-80 yard range. In 2014 Wyoming, I had 6 separate bulls in the 300+ class that I could have take a shot at in the 70-80 yard range. I'm not one of those guys who just flings arrows and long distances with my fingers crossed. There's to much at stake to make a bad shot, if I'm going to take a long shot, conditions have to be perfect. After last season I said I would go back out with a 70 yard pin again.

I think I might got with a 25-40-50-60-70. I have enough time to change it back if I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would skip the 25 and make it 30 or your true trick pin distance.

My reasoning... I shoot a 500 grain arrow at 260 fps and my arrow is 2.5" to 3" high at 20 yards when using my 30 yard pin. Holding for lower third of kill zone 30 and in and you will be just fine.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would skip the 25 and make it 30 or your true trick pin distance.

My reasoning... I shoot a 500 grain arrow at 260 fps and my arrow is 2.5" to 3" high at 20 yards when using my 30 yard pin. Holding for lower third of kill zone 30 and in and you will be just fine.

I need to study up on the trick pin. I'm right there with you on weight and speed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm right there with you on weight and speed.

You're right there with him near 500gr and 260fps?? Yet in post one you stated
I'm considering changing the yardage for each pin because they are so stacked.

At 500gr and 260fps the pins are nowhere near "stacked". I shoot 532gr at 289fps and I have lots of room between each pin.....even my 20 and 30. I have 7 pins out to 80, and as much as I consider myself a LR shooter, I have yet to need to use any pin past my 60 for elk.

So, if you want to change things up to shoot farther that's fine. You can also stack pins to shoot beyond your furthest pin.

Not that I am the expert as I am still "0" fer. (4 yrs total) However I tend to agree, that of the 4 elk I have had a bead on that for some reason didn't happen, all were within 35 yards, the big 6 x 6 was 23 (dang wind switching). My 20 and 30 are pretty tight (450 gr, approx 280 fps), but I still have a bit of adjustment left. My pin gaps have been set forever, so now everything is gang adjust anyway.

Can you replace your 20 with a finer pin, so they don't "look" so tight? I don't know, I am so used to every 10 yards that I might screw up in the heat of the moment.

Do what is easiest for you. Personally, I shoot a double pin slider and absolutely love it. At 20 yards, the second pin is good for about 35, so there is no need to make any adjustments if the animal is within 40 yards.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Not that I am the expert as I am still "0" fer. (4 yrs total) However I tend to agree, that of the 4 elk I have had a bead on that for some reason didn't happen, all were within 35 yards, the big 6 x 6 was 23 (dang wind switching). My 20 and 30 are pretty tight (450 gr, approx 280 fps), but I still have a bit of adjustment left. My pin gaps have been set forever, so now everything is gang adjust anyway.

Can you replace your 20 with a finer pin, so they don't "look" so tight? I don't know, I am so used to every 10 yards that I might screw up in the heat of the moment.

My pins being stacked isn't as big of deal for me as not having a 70 yard pin. The pins have been stacked for years so I'm used to it. I think if it was two weeks before the season, I'd be really hesitant to change my set up. But with this much time I'm confident I can adjust and have it built into my shooting "muscle memory" before I go.

My pins being stacked isn't as big of deal for me as not having a 70 yard pin. The pins have been stacked for years so I'm used to it. I think if it was two weeks before the season, I'd be really hesitant to change my set up. But with this much time I'm confident I can adjust and have it built into my shooting "muscle memory" before I go.

Well I got you beat there.... I have 7 pins in the housing. Can't go to 80 as I am at the bottom. My bottom pin is 76...lol.

Honestly have only had one chance at a bull at that yardage, but was running an entirely different setup (in 2003). He was at 65 and at that time wouldn't have considered shooting that far(only had a 50 yard pin at the time)

What sight are you running? Any way to add pins? I have an Axcel armortech pro with 7 pins, all .010. Have been running it for 5 years plus on two different bows. I love that sight. It is pricey though. All that being said, the long pins are there for fun/target shooting. I tend to freak out a bit so I try and keep the yardages pretty close.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
It's a Hoyt 5 pin. I think I might drop pin size, I'm .015 I believe. I'll probably upgrade my sight next year. I have to much other gear to upgrade this year.

You're right there with him near 500gr and 260fps?? Yet in post one you stated

At 500gr and 260fps the pins are nowhere near "stacked". I shoot 532gr at 289fps and I have lots of room between each pin.....even my 20 and 30. I have 7 pins out to 80, and as much as I consider myself a LR shooter, I have yet to need to use any pin past my 60 for elk.

So, if you want to change things up to shoot farther that's fine. You can also stack pins to shoot beyond your furthest pin.
Depends on the definition of "stacked" and how close his sight housing is to the riser. With bright sun and .019 pins a guy could easily have the pins to close together to see the gap in-between 20 and 30 with some pin flare.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Have archery hunted elk for 30+ years. Current setup flings a VAP 425 grain at 280 FPS. Calculated kinetic energy at the muzzle is around 68-70 foot pounds. My effective range is right at 60 yards...I can put 5 arrows in a 6" pie plate at 60 and feel good about the group. I have a five-pin setup, with .010 bottom pin set at 60. The rest are .019' pins set at ten yard intervals down to 20. At 60 yards, that calculated kinetic energy is probably no more than half of that 70 at the muzzle, maybe 40 lbs. Fear of inadequate penetration at 60 yards always keeps me from making an attempt at that shot, even though I had a 300" plus six-point at a measured 67 yards a couple of years ago. Had him broadside, just didn't take the shot. Have taken 7 bulls over the years and my longest kill shot was a measured 37 yards. Why anyone has to fling at 70-80 yards is beyond my comprehension. Your just gonna wound them out there. My advice about your sight...keep it as simple as possible. If what you have works, or has worked...don't fix it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Depends on the definition of "stacked" and how close his sight housing is to the riser. With bright sun and .019 pins a guy could easily have the pins to close together to see the gap in-between 20 and 30 with some pin flare.

I'll agree that someone could have a different perception of "stacked"........but I have both .019" and even .029" sights and both have plenty of gap between 20 and 30 at almost 30fps faster than he's shooting. But I also agree that a guy could easily start with a 30 pin for hunting.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Well I went and adjusted everything today, got new arrows and did some tuning. Then sighted in a zero at 26 yards which gave me 4" high at 10 yards, 2" high at 20 and 1" low at 30 yards. I figured anything 35 and under is dead. Then I set my second pin at 40, third pin at 50, fourth pin at 60 but ran out of room in my sight.... I didn't have enough room to move my 5th pin any lower and it was touching my 4th pin / 60 yard pin....

All this for nothing!!! At that point I was shot out and didn't feel motivated to change everything back. Guess I'll readjust everything back to 20-30-40-50-60 next time I shoot.

Only positive thing I can say that came from this, I'll definitely be moving to a single pin next year....

Good luck out there guys!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hell, if nothing else you got a lot of shooting in! See what your drop is at 70 using 60 yard pin. Is it possible to aim at the top of the back? Not ideal and not something I would shoot at an animal but if you have 20" of drop and are confident you know where that arrow lands, it would be handy on a wounded animal.

I shoot the Montana Black gold. 3 pins on a slider. 20, 30, 40 are my fixed with the dial all the way up. Past 40 im not making quick adjustments without having to let down first.

cnelk

WKR
Ive shot a 5 pin [20-60] MBG sight for so long, the pins are probably related by now.

The only thing I have changed recently is the pin color to alternating green & amber, because as you age, green is easier to see.