Semi guided versus DIY OTC elk hunts

ROJO23

FNG
Last year was my first time hunting elk/mule deer in Colorado. I was on a fully guided hunt, and we hunted out of a lodge. it was a very comfortable hunt, 3 meals, hot showers, and tv. I have planned another elk only hunt in SW Colorado for 2018. After that hunt, i will need to look for different options so that I can come out every year. There is no way I could afford a fully guided hunt every year.

I have been doing tons of research about DIY hunts, and semi guided (drop camp style) hunts. I have never did a drop camp style hunt, so any input would be appreciated. Seems like the pro with the drop camp style is hopefully the guides have an idea where the elk will be located. The pro with the DIY would be saving on a money for a guide.

Coming from VA and mostly deer hunting it seem very overwhelming trying to pick a unit to focus on and then narrowing that down to a hunting area. I have watch multiple youtube videos with suggestions on how to get started. it still seems like a tough decision on what areas to focus.

Any tips would be great, I also will be applying for addition points in 2018. I currently have 1 elk, and 1 deer. I will be using the elk point in 2018.

Also I have been looking at Idaho for a OTC tag.

thanks

LostArra

WKR
I'm unclear on the term "semi guided". The only drop camp outfit I'm familiar with is J Bar H out of Meeker (which is a top shelf operation in every way). Their drop camps are setup wall tents with cots and a stove. They pack in your gear and your food. You are hunting on your own from the camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
some places call drop camps semi guided. Most are like you you said.

I am really more interested in a DIY hunt, for several reasons. Mainly the DIY for the reason of doing everything on your own. The issue is the planning and knowing where to get started.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For most guys starting out it is a matter of having the right gear and equipment to be able to do it all on your own. You've already got a guided season under your belt, so you should have an idea on the actual hunting aspect. As long as you can set up a camp and survive on your own, you're golden. There isn't much terrain in CO that doesn't hold elk, so it's hard to go wrong.

Tejasbow

FNG
Very much non professional opinion here.

If it was me I would do DIY. But I am also aware that everyone has different goals and different definitions of a good time. But if you are going to go every year you can find your own way.When asked about elk hunting by friends etc I ask them one question. DO you want to go once and have a head on the wall or do you want to go every year or every other year and learn to elk hunt. If the answer is learn to elk hunt. I say start saving money for gear and don't be cheap. If they want to go shoot an elk. Start saving money for an outfitter.... And don't be cheap. I went into the mountains chasing elk 3 years ago for the 1st time. I did not know chit from sugar. I worked my butt off and everything on me hurt. 0 success not even close to an opportunity. But I was hooked. We found them as we were about done. Last year I went back and looked them in the eye every day. Saw them smelled them talked to them and there was nobody else on my mountain.
It may take you a few trips to find the elk to find the right trail the right trail head etc etc etc. But if you are going into a drop camp set up by an outfitter you will not be hunting fresh elk.

Now I do know you can pay an outfitter to set you up a camp at a location specified by you. I priced it last year as it would extend my hunting a bit not having to worry about that and or hauling elk out. His price was obsurd and I will not be using him. But he might get used to pack an elk out if we shoot one on the last day or two. I have a friend that used a camp in this form in New Mexico a few years ago and split it 4 ways and it was more affordable. Maybe that is your happy medium.

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
I get much me satisfaction from the hunt versus the kill. I am into learning to elk hunt, so I know I will work toward the DIY side of hunting. even the guided hunt was pretty tough hiking, but it was worth every step. I have some pretty decent gear moving toward the diy side of hunts. We have been camping for a while, and I know I can survive in the wild without a lodge. Hopefully in the next few years I will be on the diy hunt. thanks

If you want a "semi guided" hunt in SW Colorado, check out Great Divide Outfitters, I think it'll have what you are looking for.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Last year was my first time hunting elk/mule deer in Colorado. I was on a fully guided hunt, and we hunted out of a lodge. it was a very comfortable hunt, 3 meals, hot showers, and tv. I have planned another elk only hunt in SW Colorado for 2018. After that hunt, i will need to look for different options so that I can come out every year. There is no way I could afford a fully guided hunt every year.

I have been doing tons of research about DIY hunts, and semi guided (drop camp style) hunts. I have never did a drop camp style hunt, so any input would be appreciated. Seems like the pro with the drop camp style is hopefully the guides have an idea where the elk will be located. The pro with the DIY would be saving on a money for a guide.

Coming from VA and mostly deer hunting it seem very overwhelming trying to pick a unit to focus on and then narrowing that down to a hunting area. I have watch multiple youtube videos with suggestions on how to get started. it still seems like a tough decision on what areas to focus.

Any tips would be great, I also will be applying for addition points in 2018. I currently have 1 elk, and 1 deer. I will be using the elk point in 2018.

Also I have been looking at Idaho for a OTC tag.

thanks

What did you end up doing?

sargent

WKR
I have done a drop camp hunt in Idaho and a DIY hunt in Colorado. I preferred the freedom of the DIY hunt. As far as where to start, Colorado Fish and Game has some pretty nice tools on their website available for free and GoHunt.com is very helpful with a paid membership. Watch Randy Newberg's videos on how to plan your hunt. That way you have a plan for every day and you don't get discouraged if you don't find elk (or do find tons of hunters) at your first chosen location. If you start planning now, you should definitely have enough time to pick out a few good spots. Good luck and have fun.

T28w

WKR
Any idea of what the diff in cost is between a drop camp that isn’t a “guided” hunt and a fully guided hunt?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with a guide in 2018. Probably going once more with a guide and then going to attempt a diy hunt. I feel more comfortable with what sign to look for now
Thanks. If you don't mind, would you share your guide's name and/or state? PM if you prefer.

aion2come

WKR
I've considered both and always opted for the DIY. It is tougher in some ways. But I can't justify shelling out the money and then having a limited number of days ... when with a DIY I can stay for nearly 10 days and spend less money.

Pghhunter

FNG
As some have mentioned above. If you are between Drop Camp and DIY. Go DIY if you have the gear.

Did the drop camp last year and we got hit with a big storm. If we could have relocated I think we would have had better success.