Colorado Scouting Trip

mkelley12

FNG
So a buddy and I drew First rifle for unit 71 in Colorado. We really want to do a scouting trip but it looks like we can only go labor day weekend. We were hesitant since its archery season but its the only time we can go, but will keep an eye out for hunters and stay out of there way.

But i am trying to get some advise on what to look for. Is there a chance the elk with be in the same area a month and a half later? What kind of sign should we look for?

Any other advise about lizard head would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First rifle is usually pretty hot (weather wise). Look for water and wallows. There is a good chance the bulls will still be bugling when your season opens. Look for bedding areas that are heavily used by the cows and calves. The bulls will hang somewhere around there, maybe in a bit darker timber or higher altitude, but they will be keeping an eye on the ladies.

Mark spots on your GPS. It seems dumb, but a lot of things can look different when the leaves change or fall.

ericF

WKR
For a scouting trip like that, I wouldn't be so concerned about where the elk are so much as figuring out the area. It may be archery season and there will be hunters out there, but the shear number of hunters come rifle season is always amazing. Figure out the trailheads, the easy hikes and think about what is going to happen when all the hunters start pushing the elk. There might be some great areas 1/2 a mile from the road, but the chances are that somebody already knows about it and is planning on being there opening morning. Find a few spots that you might like to camp, and then plan on having those already taken so find a few more backups. The same goes for your opening morning spot.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Nothing like a bunch of guys tromping around the woods when it's not their season. How would you like it if you kept running into people scouting during your hunting season that had 2/3/4th season tags. I think it's bad etiquette. You're looking for elk and if you find some it's probably messing with someone's hunt. The more people in the woods the more smells and the more it messes with the elk and their normal routine.

Yeah, I would be glassing from afar and stay out of any wooded areas. Stay on the main trails and around normal backpackers. That way you'll disturb things the least.

hobbes

WKR
I never noticed First Rifle being any more crowded than Archery, maybe even less at least in OTC Archery units. Second Rifle is another story.

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
First rifle for that unit only has a couple hundred tags figured it should not be to crowded compared to the OTC rifle hunts. Coming from Michigan i am used to seeing orange on public land. Put in the work and you can get away from them. The trip will be to get an idea of the land so that we are not starting fresh the day before our season opens. We will be sticking to the main trails and will be very considerate of others, as well as help if we do see something.

If anyone has hunted that unit and could suggest places to stay away from that would be a great help. We were thinking about Lizard head just north of Dunton or just south of it.

topher89

WKR
Bring a 22 or a shotgun if you are scouting in September. That is prime dusky grouse season.

Even if I can scout earlier in the summer, I always get out scouting in September and do some glassing, grouse hunting and fly fishing. Scouting is a convenient excuse to get out there and spend some time out there.

Poser

WKR
Nothing like a bunch of guys tromping around the woods when it's not their season. How would you like it if you kept running into people scouting during your hunting season that had 2/3/4th season tags. I think it's bad etiquette. You're looking for elk and if you find some it's probably messing with someone's hunt. The more people in the woods the more smells and the more it messes with the elk and their normal routine.

It's still early in the year, but but this post gets Nominated for Rockslide "Little Bitch" award 2017.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ah the internet tough guy comes out to play. If a scouter is tromping around in the area you're hunting checking out a wallow, not paying attention to the wind and leaving his scent all over it's going to mess up the hunting for someone else. I try to be considerate when I'm in the field. Some guys are assholes, especially on the internet.

BTW...great name...

Bulldawg

WKR
Ah the internet tough guy comes out to play. If a scouter is tromping around in the area you're hunting checking out a wallow, not paying attention to the wind and leaving his scent all over it's going to mess up the hunting for someone else. I try to be considerate when I'm in the field. Some guys are assholes, especially on the internet.

BTW...great name...

You're right, nobody should be allowed to go scouting until the day before their season starts so that they won't "screw up" anybody else's hunt.

Go home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR

BTW...great name...
What about grouse hunters? Or guys with a once in a lifetime moose tags? Or a guy trying to scout out a great hunt for his kid's first hunt?

Scouting can and should be pretty low impact. A little bit of hiking and a lot of glassing.

bwlacy

WKR
I've hunted 70 and 71 one season. Labor day weekend there will be a lot of hikers and horse riders anyway. There are some very popular trails in the area. I don't think you will mess anyone up if you scout from the main trails as much as you can, but there isn't a lot of glassing opportunities in parts of that area. Lot's of timber that you can't see into. Get the lay of the land and have some ideas on where to go during rifle season. We will probably be heading back there next year for archery. Good luck on your trip.