Cow elk

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I drew my second choice in Colorado and have a cow tag on the way with a muzzle loader. I have never specifically hunted for a cow. should I still plan on bugling or should I just stick to cow calls and spot/stalk hunting. We will be hunting the Gunnison region. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't draw my bull tag but I'm looking at as a great opportunity to learn the unit as I will have 5 PP next year which should be an easy draw.

ElkNut1

WKR
In the more open to semi open terrain I would get elevation & rely on glassing for location then stalk them! In more Dark Timber country I would rely heavily on calling if in Sept or Oct. Bugling is a great way to hunt elkwoods you cannot see into, once a bull responds you know other elk are generally nearby. Use your bugling for locating purposes & you will be aided in their location. With a MZ you don't really need to call cows too close, find them & hunt them! Won't hurt to have a cow call if needed but the bugle is further reaching!

ElkNut1

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
My experience is anyone with a cow should hunt with someone with a bull tag - thats because it always seems you see bulls when you have a cow tag :)

Seriously, cows can sometimes be harder to kill during the rut than bulls, but they can be called in.
If you set up and do a whiny calling session with 2-3 different sounding cow calls, that seems to peak their interest and will come to check out the 'party'

Like this :)

Calling elk tree stand - YouTube

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm pretty much a bugler only and could shoot dozens of cows every season if I was hunting cows. You've got to wade through dozens of cows just to get to one herd bull.

Bar

Banned
Try a lost calf call. You'll have cows coming out your ears in that area.

Try a lost calf call. You'll have cows coming out your ears in that area.

I like this idea. I'm new to calling and I was wondering if there any special calls needed to do a lost calf call? Any suggestions or resources on what to use and how to make this type of call are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bar

Banned
I like this idea. I'm new to calling and I was wondering if there any special calls needed to do a lost calf call? Any suggestions or resources on what to use and how to make this type of call are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I use two different calf calls. A call made by Dillion called The Rookie. It's an open reed call and very easy to use. The other one is the Baby Hoochie Mama. It's a push bulb call. It's a no brainer to use.

I need to say i'm no caller and in my style of hunting for elk I don't call at all. I use the above calls to call in bears, but I call in way more cow elk than bears. So, even though experienced callers will sneer at the above calls. They do bring in a lot of cows.

ElkNut1

WKR
If into calling for cows in addition to glassing larger openings you may want to consider this DVD? It's called Calling All Cows! It has the lost/separated cow/calf sounds in it to imitate along with many other methods & techniques we've used with bringing cows in over the years! Here's a link to it here!
Calling All Cows Video, Bugling Bulls & Beyond Vol 3

ElkNut1

If into calling for cows in addition to glassing larger openings you may want to consider this DVD? It's called Calling All Cows! It has the lost/separated cow/calf sounds in it to imitate along with many other methods & techniques we've used with bringing cows in over the years! Here's a link to it here!
Calling All Cows Video, Bugling Bulls & Beyond Vol 3

ElkNut1

Sweet, thanks. I'll probably pick that up.