Selway Zone Idaho units 16A,17,19 and 20 for Elk

Griz

FNG
Does anyone have anything nice to say or helpful information about Hunting Elk in any of Selway Zone Units 16a,17,19,20?

Looking for any help or guidance. Trails, campsites, lakes, any info or shared experience would be appreciated.

Now lets bring on all the replies about wolves and how its steep!

Still plenty of elk. I love wilderness units and the success rates for 19 and 20 are usually pretty decent. You would want to hunt around Sept 18-28ish to get the peak rut. Late season can be okay and the bucks are in rut.

I hunted over there for the late hunt (early November). Saw a ton of elk and lots of good mule deer bucks. Ended up taking a 5x4 whitetail. Didn't see any big bulls, but definitely saw quite a few.

I'm planning on heading over there this September and hunting the early Season with the B Tag. When I hunted November, I focused mainly on the Salmon River breaks. Will those areas still hold elk come September or will the elk be holed up in the thick stuff above and beyond the breaks?

Thanks,

gumbl3

WKR
The gravy turned me inside out at the Lumberjack Steakhouse in Elk City but it was dang tasty and bring plenty of quarters for hot showers at the laundromat

Couldn't tell you about the elk, didn't see any chasing mulies

Still plenty of elk. I love wilderness units and the success rates for 19 and 20 are usually pretty decent. You would want to hunt around Sept 18-28ish to get the peak rut. Late season can be okay and the bucks are in rut.

How is the grass near the Swet cabin area? Need to know how much horse feed to take.

jetsled

FNG
Gets nasty. Probably chains and a ATV if you got the balls. Depends on the year but bouncing up Lemon Saddle gets harry most years.