New Mexico 16A first bow season

4IDARCHER

WKR
So I was lucky enough to draw a 1st bow (1 Sept) tag for elk in unit 16A in New Mexico (one of the Gila units).
Outside of a few hog hunts down south in the summer months, and maybe one hot day in the AZ winter I am not sure I have ever stalked in that heat.

Was hoping someone that lived in that part of the state or who has hunted the unit before could tell me about the temp and weather for that part of Sept. I have done some research on the average temps for the areas by month but was hoping someone who actually lives there or has hunted it could help me out on what to expect.

I haven't hunted 16A but I've hunted a couple of the other 16 units. Expect monsoons and a large range in temps. It's not uncommon for it to be in the high 80's low 90's, even in the higher altitudes. I wear nylon pants with a breathable synthetic top. If i backpack I'll wear merino but be prepared to sweat.

We've had great moisture so far and I hope it continues. If it does it can be a great year with a lot of large NM bulls!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
Like NMbackcountry said it can be extreme in either direction, be ready with a good layering system and some good boots, I have often started out with merino on and about 9 am shed them, don't wait till you've sweat your ass off and stay very hydrated or you will burn out.
Also, if it is hot and you are in a ways don't kill unless you can get the meat out without it spoiling, I would also suggest to not leave an animal without breaking it down, work through the night, it is cooler and the bugs won't eat you and your meat.

You have a great hunt ahead of you, congrats! I will be south of you on the same dates doing the back packing death march! I am hoping for cool weather........lol

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Man I can't wait. Giant Gila bulls with decent rains and hopefully not crazy hot!!! Can't picture a better hunt! I am looking hard for a 340 class bull!

JPD350

WKR
Man I can't wait. Giant Gila bulls with decent rains and hopefully not crazy hot!!! Can't picture a better hunt! I am looking hard for a 340 class bull!

340+ bulls are there but I can tell you from experience that when a bad ass 300+ bull walks up to you it is hard not to shoot!! Sometimes the situation of how a bull goes down is what really matters and not so much the size, at least that is the way it is for me.

Unless you don't mind taking home a tag over the experience of killing a solid 300 bull then do what you must, I understand that your tag is possibly a OIL opportunity but I have been hunting elk here for 38 years and my biggest bull is a 319, I know all kinds of local hunters that have never got a 340+ bull, that size of bull gets killed all the time down here but you will have to be very lucky to kill one.