Elk down... pack antlers first or last

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
When you have an elk down, In what order do you pack it out? I have heard in some states antlers must be packed out last, I will be hunting the state of Colorado for the first time and didn't find anything specific on packing antlers first/last. What's your packout routine?

Bar

Banned
I always want the meat out as fast as possible. It goes first. If a warden wants to see the antlers he'll just have to wait until I bring them out. That, or follow me back to the kill.

muddydogs

WKR
If I'm packing out to my truck parked along a road the antlers are last since you never know about people these days and what they will take that don't belong to them. I usually hope it's not to warm out to leave the meat secured under my tonneau cover but if it is I stash the meat short of the truck or around the truck where it can't be seen from where I park. Sucks that we have to worry about thieves but we do and I try not to make it to easy for them.

When I had a horse packing out my last kill, I packed out the head on my back the day before the packer came to make it easier for the horses to navigate with loads off trail.

If I'm bringing it out on my back, antlers would go last.

fishslap

WKR
I camp at the trailhead and pack out all of the loose meat on my first trip back and I'll strap the antlers on top. I only shoot little bulls anyway. I come back with a frame pack for the quarters. I've packed out five bulls and never lost an ounce of meat to spoilage, or lost sleep at night because I brought antlers out with the first load. I do bring the hide out last if I'm keeping it. I wonder how many guys who pack out the antlers last leave the rib meat, heart, or liver.

cnelk

WKR
There isnt a specific law in Colorado about antlers and WHEN to pack them out, but its a good bet that you will have a lot less questions from the warden if if you have a pile of meat and no antlers than an elk rack and little bit of meat.

The organs - liver/heart and even rib meat are not considered part of the required meat to take.

The EoS [Evidence of Sex] attached to a quarter is MUCH more important

oldgoat

WKR
Meat first and in Colorado you have to have proof of sex naturally attached and antlers don't count for that. So first load out will be quarter with proof of sex attached. That way it can be secured and I don't have to worry about a critter at the kill sight absconding with the quarter that has the proof of sex attached to it!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most the time I'm hunting with a daypack. I'm not hauling much meat at all with that thing, so it's much easier to haul the rack and head/cape out first on my shoulders and then take the frame pack in for the meat. If I was "required" to bring the rack out last, that first trip out would be a wasted trip. If it's a raghorn it doesn't really matter either way, but since I don't generally carry a saw......those horns might just stay at the kill sight so I can saw them off later.

otcWill

FNG
Meat first. I often go back the following day for the rack. In CO there is nothing fishy about not having the antlers as long as you have EOS naturally attached to a quarter. There is no law requiring you to take the antlers. A C.O. might have questions about why you have the rack but no meat if we want to get picky but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are abiding by all the laws.

cnelk

WKR
Hey otcwill
Ask Aaron J how much his fine was when he had all his deer meat back in camp and no antlers when he got checked...

otcWill

FNG
Hey otcwill
Ask Aaron J how much his fine was when he had all his deer meat back in camp and no antlers when he got checked...

I'm aware. I'd have contested it. Having worked and talked with the C.O.s in the areas I hunt, I do as I've been instructed. I have had them check for EOS many times but never asked to see any antlers as we almost always stash them out of sight so that hunters won't notice.

cnelk

WKR
FWIW
The law doesnt state you have to retrieve the antlers, but if you're hunting in a 4 pt area, the C.O. wont know the size of the bull by just the scrotum attached to the hind quarter - it could be a spike for instance.

Or for deer, with no point restrictions, even with the scrotum attached, it could be a buck deer with less than 5 inch antlers, which is considered an anterless animal

Its definitely a gray area, and some C.O. wont hesitate to issue violations

Bar

Banned
Meat first. I often go back the following day for the rack. In CO there is nothing fishy about not having the antlers as long as you have EOS naturally attached to a quarter. There is no law requiring you to take the antlers. A C.O. might have questions about why you have the rack but no meat if we want to get picky but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are abiding by all the laws.

As Brad said. Some units have point restrictions. It's the only reason i'd bring antlers out at all. I have no use for them and leave them on the ground for others to have.

otcWill

FNG
Good point Brad. I hadn't considered point restrictions

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
Also, I always bring evidence of sex out last with the hind quarter its attached to, which also has the carcass tag. This is just my method and has worked with the cpw officers in my area.

Cnelk, my point with the rib meat/organs was that if guys were placing a higher value ethically on meat vs antlers they would bring out the rib meat & traditionally edible organs, required or not.

I say do what makes the most sense for how you want to load up and pack out as long as it's legal. it's usually cooler where I kill them than where my truck is, so it makes sense to leave the four quarters there the first night to cool and get everything else out on that first trip.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yep, use whatever method works best for a particular situation. Distance, terrain & weather can play a big part as to what comes out first or last! I generally haul the antlers out on the first trip, not always but in most cases. The last 10 years or so we do our best to haul whole elk out in one trip, it's generally boned out & split between two of us with the rack secured to back of pack. It calls for lots of rest stops but at least we do not have to make a 2nd trip!

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
I hunt the muzzleloader season which can get quite hot in mid-Sept. I also hunt alone and i'm 74. Getting the meat cool is a big priority for me. I only hunt the morning so I have time to get it all done in one day.

ericF

WKR
As Brad said. Some units have point restrictions. It's the only reason i'd bring antlers out at all. I have no use for them and leave them on the ground for others to have.

Take it for what its worth, but I emailed Cdow about the gray area of an Antlerless tag a couple years ago. For an Antlered tag with 4 point restrictions, it makes sense that the officer will want to see the points and will write you a ticket if you don't have them. For an Antlerless tag it is a little less clear since the only restriction is less than 5 inches. I asked Cdow about this and they said that the only way to ensure you meet the requirement is to haul the head out for an inspection. If you don't have the head, the officer can write you a ticket.