Rise of popularity in elk hunting

Colorado is way ahead of you with the same problem. Hunting would be so much better if hunters would just hunt their own state, but that's a pipe dream.

TV and the internet are the curse to good hunting.

So I guess you don't buy into that whole public land thing...

Guff

FNG
It is not just out west either though. In Kentucky we have quota hunts on WMA's each year, 10-15 years ago the hunt we put in for we could get drawn every other year easy. It got to where we just quit applying because of number of applicants rose so much. Ky is a very appealing state also because of lots of public land and very cheap NR tags.

Btaylor

WKR
Baby boomer generation started hitting retirement age a few years ago and they both outnumber and in general out resource the next couple of generations. Just a guess but I would imagine that has had an impact on the increase.

Bar

Banned
So I guess you don't buy into that whole public land thing...

You can hunt the land all you want, but the game belongs to Colorado.

I have no hard feelings towards non-residents, but when I can't get a tag where I live and somebody from out of state can. Something is wrong. Let the residents have their tags first, and then what's left give to non-residents. This will never happen, but most residents feel this way. The crowds don't bother me. Not being able to hunt bothers me.

You can hunt the land all you want, but the game belongs to Colorado.

I have no hard feelings towards non-residents, but when I can't get a tag where I live and somebody from out of state can. Something is wrong. Let the residents have their tags first, and then what's left give to non-residents. This will never happen, but most residents feel this way. The crowds don't bother me. Not being able to hunt bothers me.
I can't get an elk tag in KY where I live either. But yet they still give 10% to nonresidents. So I guess by your way of thinking, you have no desire to hunt caribou, grizzly, dall sheep or desert bighorn. So if it's a game animal that lives out of state you would move to that state and become a resident to hunt those animals and then move back to CO?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
No, i'm content to hunt what's in Colorado. I don't hunt out of state.

What's the main game in your state? Whitetails? How about all the Colorado hunters come to your state and hunt whitetails so you can't get a tag. How would you feel?

btw Non residents get 35% of the tags here. That's a lot of tags. Not just elk, but all game. Game i'm sure they have in their state too.

Bar

Banned
Before you all get your panties in a knot. I'm not blaming the hunters. They're going where they can. I blame the DOW.

HookUp

WKR
Rapidly rising population, internet and social media and hunting based companies popping up.

I did my first OTC elk in Idaho after listening to the Gritty Bowman. I was wanting to learn about rifle hunting and got right into archery.
In Idaho there was a few other hunters and about half were out of state. I wouldn't consider it crowded.

I really like the organic athletic movement in hunting. I was brought up in a rifle hunting, only in the woods during season and never exercise hunting family and appreciate the hard work guys are putting in to be successful and sharing to make others better.

OP
Bfcayson

Bfcayson

FNG
Baby boomer generation started hitting retirement age a few years ago and they both outnumber and in general out resource the next couple of generations. Just a guess but I would imagine that has had an impact on the increase.

Good thought, millennials are now outnumbering baby boomers but like you said the concentration of wealth is in the boomers. Do you think a larger millennial hunting population is good or bad for hunting?

OP
Bfcayson

Bfcayson

FNG
No, i'm content to hunt what's in Colorado. I don't hunt out of state.

What's the main game in your state? Whitetails? How about all the Colorado hunters come to your state and hunt whitetails so you can't get a tag. How would you feel?

btw Non residents get 35% of the tags here. That's a lot of tags. Not just elk, but all game. Game i'm sure they have in their state too.

I see your point and trying to keep it hunting related, but I guess going to a public beach with your kids in Florida or California would be limited to residents only, unless there was room for residents ..........I gues if that's the line of thinking then where does it stop?

Bar

Banned
Not a good example. if I go to a beach in Cal i'm not preventing someone who lives there from going too.

I just want to hunt. I don't have much time left to do it.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I really like the organic athletic movement in hunting

Funny... that's the part about hunting I'm beginning to dislike. I equate that to matching Kuiu suites and flat billed hats. Everybody's a " wilderness athlete" now. Or so they think :D

Getting back on topic... I personally don't think there are anymore hunters in the woods then 20 years ago. Maybe I'm not old enough to really see a difference? The face of hunting has sure changed in those years though!

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
My fascination with elk hunting is the beautiful mountains that challenge me what I've got. The crisp thin air and obviously the screaming bulls that will always pull at me. Fresh elk steaks are another reason. The other reason is I can do an elk hunt for just over 1000 bucks. I can't do very many really awesome things in another state for that kind of money. I suppose it's the same for a lot of other hunters as well.

Bar

Banned
You bet it is. I live for the mountains and elk hunting. There's nothing about it that I don't like. Enjoy it for as long as you can.

Not a good example. if I go to a beach in Cal i'm not preventing someone who lives there from going too.

I just want to hunt. I don't have much time left to do it.
So let's say Colorado stopped selling elk tags to nonresidents. The state would have to make up the difference some how. This would come from increased prices on tags sold to residents. Based on 2016 CPW stats, 99,636 NR bought tags for a total revenue of $64,165,584. While 235,823 residents bought tags for a total of $11,555,327. If they quit selling to NR Colorado would have to get there $75.7 million from its residents at a cost of $321 per tag. Next thing you know, not everyone could afford the tag and they'd have to raise the cost even more. And then people would be coming onto forums complaining about the cost of tags. Let's face it NR keep the costs of your tags at a reasonable amount and the boost in dollars to the local economy is a tremendous amount. I'm sure all those little town scattered across the western slopes don't share your same desire to outlaw NR tags, or the money they dump into their little towns.

As for coming to KY to hunt whitetails. Come on. You can set in the tree within sight of 2 other people on the very limited amount of public land we have. What we need is more NR to buy expensive tags to help fund some public land purchases.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk