Rise of popularity in elk hunting

Bigsteak

FNG
Thought I would chime in because I am absolutely one of the newcomers to western hunting. I am 36 years old and grew up in the southeast. My father was a bird hunter from ND but not a big game hunter. I had several friends that did whitetail and I tried it a few times but sitting in a tree stand hoping a deer walked by quickly became uninteresting. Animals like elk seemed unobtainable. I knew no one going out west. I had no father or grandfather to show me how. I thought it required thousands of dollars for a guide and a private ranch to hunt. Like several have posted here, the internet, podcasts, and social media have absolutely shown guys like me that it doesn't have to be a complete pipedream. Someone mentioned Joe Rogan. I know two people that have bought a bow specifically because of him. For me it was Rinella and his focus on the meat and public lands that got my wheels churning. I will admit that as I was looking at harvest statistics for a certain state last night I was pretty shocked at the significant uptick in archery hunter numbers from 2016 to 2017 and felt a little disheartened and at the same time guilty that I might be contributing to one more hunter on the landscape. I get that those of you who have been hunting since before it was cool would be upset by all of us dummies out there in your spot but I also agree there's a good chance this fad will pass. This "wilderness athlete" nonsense is absurd. It's great you're in shape but we don't need to hear about how many squats you did or miles you hiked with x number of lbs in your pack.
I do think we'd all be wise to foster newcomers such as myself though to protect our interests for many years. While the western hunting may be becoming more popular, hunting numbers in general are dropping and frankly the leftists are getting more and more radical and brazen in their efforts to control activities that they disagree with. I am a member of the BHA, NWTF, DU, and pheasants forever and likely will be a RMEF member before my first archery elk hunt next year. I also pay an absurd amount in federal taxes. The idea that I should be limited in my western hunting any more than I already am I think is unfair. Had there been work for me in Colorado or otherwise when I finished training I would be living out there too. Doesn't make me any less of an American that I live in Florida. I am glad the Colorado DOW agrees with me.
I am not trying to be antagonistic. I wish we could all hunt more than we could stand. I am happy to wait my turn for an opportunity but if every state simply made sure that every citizen in that state that wanted one had an elk tag every single year before opening up to the tens of thousands of NR hunters, that opportunity may never come. By the same token, I don't think my state of Florida owes me an Osceola turkey or a huge snook or 100 lbs of scallops before a guy from Wyoming. Come on down. I will show you the spots.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Ha ha. I got Easterns. But the Osceolas are a different story! I'll keep that in mind though. Hit me up if you ever find yourself in Missouri during the spring.

Bigsteak

FNG
Ha ha. I got Easterns. But the Osceolas are a different story! I'll keep that in mind though. Hit me up if you ever find yourself in Missouri during the spring.

Thanks buddy. Working on buying a little land further south in the state in the next couple years. I will make you a promise you can come get your limit of Osceolas when that happens.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
With whitetail numbers the way they are it has become fairly easy to kill a whitetail. Not a record but a whitetail. Also, at least in PA, 40 years ago you had to travel to hunt whitetails. Now they are all over the suburbs so people can hunt them after work, before work, every weekend etc. leaving time open for travel hunting.
Those hunters looking for more are traveling west, and the internet has made it possible. When I was growing up in the 80's if you didn't know someone that left PA and hunted the western states for elk, all you had was a few magazine articles. Now, you have a whole 'how to' and 'what to expect' at your fingertips in a few minutes. So while overall hunter numbers are dropping, the west is receiving more and more of the people looking for challenges.

I just don’t understand the negativity why should anyone that dreams of elk hunting in a certain spot be dissuaded because it’s bringing more attention to a place and more pressure like oh well it sucks butbthats public land hunting..... what Randy Newberg and BRO have done is find a way to live that life and sustain financially...they capitalized on the social media boom to make a living that’s just adapting... I mean hats off to them that’s like the dream goal.... and then they choose to share what has worked for them to raise awareness to have more people hunting so that if hunting is ever threatened then we have this mass group defending our way of life....some of us grow up in places that don’t have elk but dream of hunting them one day so we bust our ass to get somewhere so that we can hunt them like I literally reenlisted just so I could go somewhere to maybe get an opportunity just to go try to hunt elk.... why the hell should any of us that don’t grow up where elk live have a second thought of applying somewhere simply because someone is salty that more out of state hunters are applying.....oh well that’s public land hunting for you.... as far as the “bowhunting athlete” being nonsense.... why is that nonsense? Anything that gets people up off the couch and inspires them to live a more active healthy lifestyle... I say good for them ..maybe identifying with being a “bowhunting athlete” saves their life from heart attack or diabetes or who knows any ailment maybe it keeps their life from falling apart or keeps them sane...,,....... I believe in our culture like thank god we have this backcountry hunting group to at least keep a small group of people strong and fit and want to adventure and strive to be harder.... some form of warrioresque people is better than none......... I just don’t understand how negative these forums get sometimes.. we should be praising and damn thankful that there is even a small group of people in our country that want to be in wild areas pursuing game, people that actually still want to do what we have done since we were apes... the original form of bonding, teamwork, survival....especially in a time like ours

KHNC

WKR
Well, you dont have to ever worry about me hunting OTC elk ever again. Last year in Idaho was my last time. It will be limited entry or i just wont go. OTC units are just too crowded for me. If i am coming from NC to hunt elk, then i at least want a decent area to go to. I dont have the luxury of scouting OTC in advance. So, at 49, i just decided i wont hunt that way again. Still see hunters on draw areas, but at least i have an idea of what the pressure could be. Nobody can show up the night before and buy their tag and go.

TexasCub

WKR
I just don’t understand the logic behind Colorado’s tag #’s. A guy draws a hard to get muzzleloader tag and then he has to compete with unlimited #’s of OTC Archery Hunters in the same unit. What’s the sense in that? Or you draw a deer tag and you have to compete with unlimited #’s of OTC rifle elk hunters? It’s just too much chit overlapping creating even more pressure and reduced success and enjoyment. It just seems like they really don’t give a chit what the experience is for anyone , they just want the money from as many tags as they can sell!

mproberts

WKR
I just don’t understand the logic behind Colorado’s tag #’s. A guy draws a hard to get muzzleloader tag and then he has to compete with unlimited #’s of OTC Archery Hunters in the same unit. What’s the sense in that? Or you draw a deer tag and you have to compete with unlimited #’s of OTC rifle elk hunters? It’s just too much chit overlapping creating even more pressure and reduced success and enjoyment. It just seems like they really don’t give a chit what the experience is for anyone , they just want the money from as many tags as they can sell!

I guess they figure someone has to fund CPW and keep your resident tags incredibly cheap.

LWC

FNG
Well, you dont have to ever worry about me hunting OTC elk ever again. Last year in Idaho was my last time. It will be limited entry or i just wont go. OTC units are just too crowded for me. If i am coming from NC to hunt elk, then i at least want a decent area to go to. I dont have the luxury of scouting OTC in advance. So, at 49, i just decided i wont hunt that way again. Still see hunters on draw areas, but at least i have an idea of what the pressure could be. Nobody can show up the night before and buy their tag and go.

Just curious, rifle or archery. I have similar feelings about rifle. Still on the fence with otc archery.

CX5Ranch

WKR
The reason for the western hunting boom is because of people who started making videos 30 years ago. We all got hooked as kids and now have the money to go. See you out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rcairney

FNG
Colorado is way ahead of you with the same problem. Hunting would be so much better if hunters would just hunt their own state, but that's a pipe dream.

TV and the internet are the curse to good hunting.

I agree with you... I grew up in Florida, if all you yankees would keep out of my state and off my beaches life would be better... sounds a little like your elk argument.