Rise of popularity in elk hunting

njdoxie

WKR
I'm curious why success rates haven't changed even with so called increased popularity, 1000yd rifle shots, $1000 compounds etc

Good question, seems there's more education available to make hunters better.

njdoxie

WKR
Seems like everyone's wife and girlfriend is putting in for tags and hunting, never used to be like that.

Bar

Banned
I think we have more elk hunters now who aren't prepared to be successful. They watch hunting shows and think it's that easy. I'm just guessing, but it seems to be true.

njdoxie

WKR
Before you all get your panties in a knot. I'm not blaming the hunters. They're going where they can. I blame the DOW.
I hope my elk hunting days are behind me before the CDOW makes all elk licenses limited, I'm 53, factoring in my current shape, ailments, constitution, and drive, I hope to have 10 -15 years left.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 31 now. I've been applying for Oklahoma Elk since I was 18. I'll be lucky if I ever draw that tag. So what do I do? Drive to Colorado every year go to walmart and buy my non res tag and go hunt. Very rarely do we ever see other people on the mountain. Hopefully if every thing goes right all be able to bring home another Colorado Elk this September.

Pro953

WKR
I am sorry but this doesn't hold any weight with me, I would gladly pay NR prices as a resident if it meant having a quarter to half of the pressure. But yes I am sure you wouldn't mind us bombarding Kentucky for white tails as you may have your own little chunk of no trespassing area. NR vs Residents is a different topic. Point is I grew up hunting and fishing, it was an "organic" interest if you will, now we've got adult onset hunters who go out and dump $1100 on a new bow because they heard a podcast about being fit to hunt, where hunting has always been passed down from father to son/daughter or grandfather to grandson/granddaughter. So I feel that's where the increase has happened, I mean look at all the little hunting companies they all market to that 25 to 35 age group. While I agree that it's not all bad, it's not all good either.

Yeah, it's a real shame that anyone that did not grow up hunting decided to take up the sport. Never heard a group of hunters sound like such elitists. We don't want anyone to be anti hunting, we just don't want them to actually hunt either... just don't get it. What to hunt alone, buy land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I hope my elk hunting days are behind me before the CDOW makes all elk licenses limited, I'm 53, factoring in my current shape, ailments, constitution, and drive, I hope to have 10 -15 years left.

You have a lot more days left than I do unless I really surprise myself. I'm not quitting as long as I can walk.

Bar

Banned
Yeah, it's a real shame that anyone that did not grow up hunting decided to take up the sport. Never heard a group of hunters sound like such elitists. We don't want anyone to be anti hunting, we just don't want them to actually hunt either... just don't get it. What to hunt alone, buy land.

Quick question. Do you hunt for elk in Calif?

Pro953

WKR
Quick question. Do you hunt for elk in Calif?

Pretty much a once in a lifetime tag here if you are lucky, along with Antelope and sheep. Black tail, mule deer, pigs are the species we can hunt regularly.

I love agree with your point that 35% of tags going to out of state is excessive, we run 10% here in CA. What I do not agree with is the mindset that others should not start hunting and it should be kept to the group that has inherited the right and skills from ones father and grandfather.

Bar

Banned
Pretty much a once in a lifetime tag here if you are lucky, along with Antelope and sheep. Black tail, mule deer, pigs are the species we can hunt regularly.

I love agree with your point that 35% of tags going to out of state is excessive, we run 10% here in CA. What I do not agree with is the mindset that others should not start hunting and it should be kept to the group that has inherited the right and skills from ones father and grandfather.

Did someone say that? I don't agree with that. Everybody has a right to hunt. Although I think a hunter should put in alot of time getting ready for a western hunt if it's new to them. Plus...........don't take my tag!! :)

Gobbler36

WKR

Never said it was wrong, never said they don't have the right but the question of the thread was why the the increase in popularity of elk hunting so I stated my reason and along with that I gave my opinion that it is good and it is also bad, I am not afraid to admit that I am a little selfish, and I bet most hunters would agree that hunter recruitment and it becoming mainstream can be a bit of a double edged sword. Which is exactly what I stated in my earlier post

Bar

Banned
Adam.....I never hunted Idaho. What's it like there?. Are tags easy or hard to get? Crowds? Elk numbers?

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Never said it was wrong, never said they don't have the right but the question of the thread was why the the increase in popularity of elk hunting so I stated my reason and along with that I gave my opinion that it is good and it is also bad, I am not afraid to admit that I am a little selfish, and I bet most hunters would agree that hunter recruitment and it becoming mainstream can be a bit of a double edged sword. Which is exactly what I stated in my earlier post
Pretty much the way I think of it as well. We all need more hunters, to help fight the anti's and keep our sport alive. But we cringe when we see somebody else in "our spot" on the public land. As others have said, the increase in hunter's I believe it's a combination of the things mentioned, all the hunting shows, you tube, social media, show what it can be like. You boy's got to admit, there is few sounds in this world, that will reach down to your soul as when a Bull fires off a bugle on his way in, or add new life to a pair of tired legs and lungs when he lets one go from the timber across the canyon.
Mike

brewer427

WKR
Point is I grew up hunting and fishing, it was an "organic" interest if you will, now we've got adult onset hunters who go out and dump $1100 on a new bow because they heard a podcast about being fit to hunt, where hunting has always been passed down from father to son/daughter or grandfather to grandson/granddaughter. So I feel that's where the increase has happened, I mean look at all the little hunting companies they all market to that 25 to 35 age group. While I agree that it's not all bad, it's not all good either.
Not sure what your talking about here? What's wrong with podcasts getting people motivated to get into shape and enjoy the crisp fresh air and experiences we all enjoy while we're in the woods.

People who grew up in non-hunting family's are not lucky enough to have that "ORGANIC INTEREST" like so many of us have had the privilege of receiving from our elders who hunt. As far as the $1100 bow thing, non hunters don't have any hunting gear and haven't been able to accumulate weapons and gear like many of us have been able to since we started from a young age, so ya many might spend that much on a bow but then they'll be able to have a quality piece of gear for years to come.

Also don't understand your irritation with companies marketing to people in the 20-35 age group, companies have to pay the bills and that's most likely who as a whole is going to purchasing new hunting gear. If people have money to blow on hunting gear every year, good on em that's more revenue for the economy...

A few thoughts on the matter.

Technology has turned a huge amount of professionals into office drones who try to reclaim their human instincts on the weekends. I work with a number of professional engineers who came to hunting/fishing as a way to prove to themselves that they aren't living in the MATRIX. Regain the manly feeling they don't get in normal day to day life. It's good for the soul to be able to find and harvest your own food. Is there a more accessible adventure than elk hunting? Nothing that allows for destinations, payout, and anticipation that an elk hunt provides.

The next is the rise of clean meat hunters. In Pennsylvania I saw a blurb about a study looking into hunter's motivation. Most are hunting for the meat, after that its for the recreation. As it should be, in my opinion.

Disposable income is a huge issue with elk hunting for NR. It is an expensive activity to get into if you have never hunted before. Our group this year will be hunting from a spike camp. We waited several years because we knew we would need to save up to do this trip right and we have all hunted the east coast for decades. The boomers are getting older, but there is a millennial generation of professionals who have the money and are willing to spend it.

I believe backpacking has grown independently from hunting which has made backpack hunting that much more appealing. I don't have data to support it but trickle down across the industry has made equipment better for hunter who wish to save weight while staying comfortable.

Access is something that will require a strong hunting population. It might be easy to say you wish there were fewer hunters, but if the numbers would drop to far the other way you would be begging people to start hunting.

I would be upset if I was a resident and wasn't given preference. Keep in mind how much money the NR hunters are bringing into your state that goes directly into the pockets of your residents. When we arrive we will spend the first night in a hotel and eat at the local restaurants. We will get food from the grocery stores and fill our gas tanks at the convenience store. If we were to hire a guide, he would get his. If we were successful early in the week we would probably pay a local butcher shop to store or process the elk for us. That effect time the many thousands is a big influx of cash into your state.

Bar

Banned
A few thoughts on the matter.

I would be upset if I was a resident and wasn't given preference. Keep in mind how much money the NR hunters are bringing into your state that goes directly into the pockets of your residents. When we arrive we will spend the first night in a hotel and eat at the local restaurants. We will get food from the grocery stores and fill our gas tanks at the convenience store. If we were to hire a guide, he would get his. If we were successful early in the week we would probably pay a local butcher shop to store or process the elk for us. That effect time the many thousands is a big influx of cash into your state.

Yes, the NR spends some money when they come here. Keep in mind we spend that money year around. If you're judging by who spends the most most in the state. Who do you think deserves the tags first? I won't even bring up taxes.

NR really have nothing to worry about. You're only listening to a few of us residents. Nothing is going to change. The DOW is greedy and can't manage money. They'll always want more and more and the residents will get the crap end of the stick. Money talks. Loyalty isn't worth squat to the DOW.

Bar

Banned
I'd be happy with that too. It's not always the case. Especially, for mule deer.