Rise of popularity in elk hunting

Bfcayson

FNG
Been tracking NM applications in a few of the units we have gone in the past. Year over year increases, in some cases double and triple the amount of applicants year over year. Montana had the first year without leftover. Know the point creep is a real problem in other states.

On one hand it's great for the future generations because with more people interested the more funds/interest go into conservation. But on the othe hand, being selfish, some of the middle of road units are getting harder and harder to draw.

What's everyone's opinion on this year over year increase interest in elk hunting? Improved economy/more people with disposable income? Media promotion? The cross fit movement that carries over to mountain hunting? Farm to table?

Just throwing it out for discussion, passing the time until September.

oldgoat

WKR
Internet! Forums like this and podcasts like the Gritty Bowmen etc. Help people that otherwise wouldn't even know where to start to come out to elk hunt. I was stationed in Western Washington, never went elk hunting because I didn't have a clue how to hunt them or what to do if I got one. With the online resources available these days I could easily get an idea on how to do it. Mid nineties it was a different story!

Bar

Banned
Colorado is way ahead of you with the same problem. Hunting would be so much better if hunters would just hunt their own state, but that's a pipe dream.

TV and the internet are the curse to good hunting.

AdamW

WKR
Colorado is way ahead of you with the same problem. Hunting would be so much better if hunters would just hunt their own state, but that's a pipe dream.

TV and the internet are the curse to good hunting.

You'd also have a fraction of the revenue dollars.

Bar

Banned
They're whining about that now. Maybe they'd have to use the money more wisely.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You'd also have a fraction of the revenue dollars.

They had a fraction three decades ago and managed things just fine. Just like our school system and local, state, and federal governments.......it seems the more money they get the worse they manage it. More money isn't the answer, better financial management is the answer.

Elk hunting has always been popular in Colorado, but the number of bowhunters in CO has tripled in the last 20-25 years. I grew up fly fishing, yet I don't even go out much anymore because of the crowds. Can't find much open river waters these days to fish. If it isn't the fishing crowds, it's the rafters. Hunting will end up the same way........there are places I don't even go anymore because I can't find a parking spot.:rolleyes: And I don't even use TH's.

But it's like everything else.........you live in a place because it's a great place to live, then everybody and their brother moves there because of that, and now it's not that great a place to live because of that.

So these days I just try to hunt smarter, not harder.

Last edited:

Guff

FNG
I will use myself as an example in two cases; and there are a few reasons that I will add social media, internet, and lack of hunting in a persons home state. The first being coyote hunting. Years ago my cousin and I were the only ones around that coyote hunted and had multiple locations. Once yote hunting got big on tv, internet, and social media we lost a lot of our spots because now everyone is trying it.

I only have one spot left where I live to deer hunt, and it is not all that good. In order to get a pretty good spot you have to lease ground and I can't afford what people are giving to lease land. The way I have started looking at it is instead of spending money all year to kill a 90" whitetail why not save my money and head out west. I know I probably won't kill an elk but I get to see some beautiful country and hopefully hear some elk bugle in the mountains.

Good topic!!

Bar

Banned
They had a fraction three decades ago and managed things just fine. Just like our school system and local, state, and federal governments.......it seems the more money they get the worse they manage it. More money isn't the answer, better financial management is the answer.

Elk hunting has always been popular in Colorado, but the number of bowhunters in CO has tripled in the last 20-25 years. I grew up fly fishing, yet I don't even go out much anymore because of the crowds. Can't find much open river waters these days to fish. If it isn't the fishing crowds, it's the rafters. Hunting will end up the same way........there are places I don't even go anymore because I can't find a parking spot.:rolleyes: And I don't even use TH's.

But it's like everything else.........you live in a place because it's a great place to live, then everybody and their brother moves there because of that, and now it's not that great a place to live because of that.

So these days I just try to hunt smarter, not harder.

So true about fly fishing. I pretty much just fish the mountain creeks now, because it's the only way to find solitude. I live right on the Arkansas River and hardly ever fish it. Have you been to the Frying Pan lately? It's comical it's so crowded.

Hall256

WKR
I will use myself as an example in two cases; and there are a few reasons that I will add social media, internet, and lack of hunting in a persons home state. The first being coyote hunting. Years ago my cousin and I were the only ones around that coyote hunted and had multiple locations. Once yote hunting got big on tv, internet, and social media we lost a lot of our spots because now everyone is trying it.

I only have one spot left where I live to deer hunt, and it is not all that good. In order to get a pretty good spot you have to lease ground and I can't afford what people are giving to lease land. The way I have started looking at it is instead of spending money all year to kill a 90" whitetail why not save my money and head out west. I know I probably won't kill an elk but I get to see some beautiful country and hopefully hear some elk bugle in the mountains.

Good topic!!

The leased land to hunting was a new thing to me when I moved out East...I hope this doesnt ever become a trend else where. In North Carolina it seemed like all the good land (at least on the Eastern side of the state) was owned by some hunting club or hunting lease. Luckily i have found a few spots in Virginia that I can go and get away from people.

Hall256

WKR
Also, not to state the obvious but the US has oh about 100,000,000 (thats 100 Million) more people today than in 1980...I didnt believe that at first, had to actually look up two sources....and one could argue that public land available to hunting is decreasing. That coupled with the increase in popularity already mentioned by others, it is probably only going to get worse as time goes on.

My hope, is like all things, the popularity of hunting will ebb and flow...and after awhile some will stop hunting, or stick to only hunting opening weekend, but their love for hunting will keep them on our side for purposes of voting and conservation.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see more rigs but not a big increase in the number of bodies in difficult uphill country with no roads on top👍 Funny a large population of hunters don't want to hike uphill for an extended period of time😎

cnelk

WKR
I'm curious why success rates haven't changed even with so called increased popularity, 1000yd rifle shots, $1000 compounds etc

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I see more rigs but not a big increase in the number of bodies in difficult uphill country with no roads on top👍 Funny a large population of hunters don't want to hike uphill for an extended period of time😎

Boom.

KurtR

WKR
We had 81,000 non resident pheasant hunters in South Dakota last year. Still find public land to hunt that is not crowded. Last year was my first time in elk hunting went to Idaho in an otc unit and I did not see one other person up on the mountain a few at a trail head . It was totally not what I was expecting after reading about how every hill during rifle season is covered with people on here.

Jimss

WKR
Small towns in Western Colo figured out years ago that hunters bring big "bucks" to their communities. The CPW has also figured out they can make a boat-load of $ from nonres license sales. There have been complaints for years in regard to crowded hunting conditions for OTC elk in Colo. Colo switched over to all limited deer tags/units years ago. The quality of bucks and hunting experience throughout Colo has gained national attention. Unfortunately in recent years winters have been harsh and tags cut in many units. This obviously leads to point creep in high demand deer units but there are some great muley units that aren't too terribly tough to draw. When Colo switched over to all limited deer units it spread all hunters applying for tags over the entire state rather than only a few limited units (like it is for elk). Demand for the few great elk units in Colo is outrageous....and getting worse by the year. Not only is the resident human population growing in Colo but there are more nonres vying for tags every year...with only so many elk available!

Western Colo communities have always opposed switching over to limited elk hunts so the saga continues in Colo with crowded hunting conditions and lesser quality experience for bulls on heavy pressured OTC public land. There are a gob of Colo res and nonres hunters that enjoy hunting Colo elk every year. If you enjoy hunting elk every year...come to Colo!

Last edited:

Hall256

WKR
We had 81,000 non resident pheasant hunters in South Dakota last year. Still find public land to hunt that is not crowded. Last year was my first time in elk hunting went to Idaho in an otc unit and I did not see one other person up on the mountain a few at a trail head . It was totally not what I was expecting after reading about how every hill during rifle season is covered with people on here.
That's what I'm looking for...where is that area at? J/K, glad you found some solitude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Instead of trying to find isolation, I'm trying to work on using people to my advantage by having them push animals to me.

cnelk

WKR
Yep.
Do you want isolation or kill elk?

Anymore my goal is to see how close to my truck I can kill elk.
So far it's 200yds :)

And that's on otc public land
Rarely do I go much further than a mile.
That's where it starts to get crowded

Bar

Banned
Others hunters near me doesn't work with my style of hunting. It doesn't mean I need to hunt miles in. It just means i'm never near a road or trailhead.