8 ways to die in elk country!

Bar

Banned
That's not the point. The article said bears are no more dangerous than deer. That's just bad advice to anybody new to hiking, hunting. You can't just throw caution to the wind and think all bears are Yogi.

I've hunted for bears since I was a kid and i've seen lots of them. They aren't all scared of man and some will hold their ground. I may be dumb because nothing has scared me all my life. That doesn't mean I won't give respect to animals that deserve it. Black bears are not like deer and it was a stupid comment in that article.

Felix40

WKR
That would be considered baiting, and illegal in Colorado.

I'm a numbers, analytical, and logic guy. I'll stick with the probabilities. Considering I've seen less than 5 bears in 35+ years of hunting in CO, my odds are greater of getting attacked by a squirrel.

No place for logic here. Seems like we have had this discussion before. Some people are afraid of bears and some aren't. The odds of being killed by one are very low either way (lower than being killed by a deer). Im surprised you can go that long with only seeing 5 bears though.

I think slips, trips, and falls have got to be the biggest threat out there just like in the workplace. Aside from horses and mules.

Bar

Banned
Here's some info I ran across and explains one bear I ran into. I could have sworn it was hunting me. Fortunately, I had a bear tag and killed it.

"Our findings raise some important new insights that can be used to better understand the cause of attacks and how they can be avoided in both the front and backcountry," Herrero said.

The study results undercut several assumptions about what poses risks in black bear country.

"In particular, the common belief that surprising a mother bear with cubs is the most dangerous kind of black bear encounter is inaccurate," Herrero said. "Instead, lone male black bears hunting people as a potential source of food are a greater cause of deadly maulings and related predatory attempts."

The authors did find that the incremental increase in human population correlated with the increase in fatal attacks -- some 86 percent of the fatalities have occurred since 1960.

"We suspect it is because there are more people pursuing recreational and commercial activities in black bear habitat," Herrero said in the story. "Similarly, we don't know exactly why there have been more attacks in Canada and Alaska, but we speculate that it could be because bears in those areas are living in less productive habitat with periodic food stress, which may predispose some bears to consider people as prey."

Other insights:

No fatal attacks involved more than one bear, and almost all were adult males.
Bears that have previously killed are most likely to act aggressively again.
People traveling or camping alone were the mostly likely victims — almost 70 percent of the fatalities involved single person. Only 9 percent of attacks occurred with more than 2 people present.
Human food and garbage tended to attract aggressive black bears and might increase the likelihood of a serious bear attack.
The victims were ranged from small children to old people. No single activity or region correlated with the fatal attacks. “The widespread geographic distribution of fatal attacks suggests that they may occur in a variety of bear habitats and bear population conditions,” the authors wrote. “Fatal attacks do not appear to be associated only with a specific black bear population, geographic area, or habitat.”
Fatal attacks were most numerous in August — when black bears are shifting into overdrive to put on weight for the winter. Most attacks occurred during the day, with about 60 percent in the backcountry and 40 percent closer to communities.
None of the victims used bear spray. “Nor was bear spray available for other party members to deter the attacking bear,” the authors wrote, adding: “Two studies of the effectiveness of bear spray that had capsaicin as its active ingredient demonstrated its effectiveness but noted possible interference with wind.”
Beware the bear that stalks in silence

Recognizing the difference between a predatory attack and defensive, fearful activity -- and possibly wielding a fresh can of bear spray -- may be the crux of protecting oneself against a fatal attack by a determined blackie. The authors wrote:

Potentially predatory approaches are typically silent, and may include stalking or other following, followed by a fast rush leading to contact. We know of incidents where a black bear behaved as if it were considering or carrying out a predatory attack and was deterred by people’s aggressive actions such as shouting, or hitting with rocks, fists, or sticks. Once predatory behavior is initiated it may persist for hours unless it is deterred.

Faced with this chilling, single-minded tableau, people should use "all possible deterrents such as bear spray, loud noises, fists, firearms, rocks, knives, or clubs," the authors wrote.

At the same time, if a black bear acts stressed or shows "defensive threat" behaviors -- swatting the ground, mounting short charges, clacking teeth, making huffing or growling noises -- it's much less likely to attack.

LaGriz

WKR
Great thread,

We all should use some caution while in the backcountry. Not to be overly paranoid, but just think how the trip will be ruined for others and the loved ones at home. As a flatlander I have had my share of educational moments.

1998 Montana rifle hunt: Zero degrees at 10:30 AM when my brother and I parted ways at his truck. I got on an elk track late in the afternoon that led me farther out than I should have wandered. Now dark,temps were dropping, and the winds increased while I made my way towards the rig only to find a frozen swamp in my path. While trying to circumvent the bog I stumbled into a 2-track with fresh tire tracks. I made the choice to follow the tire tracks into the timber and away from general direction of the truck. My plan got me to a FS road, but did not find anyone that could give me lift. Ended up walking out to the HWY. My brother was scared I had gotten hurt and was pissed I didn't forge on by dead reckoning (map was in the truck) and make a greater effort to meet him as planned. This caused a riff between us that still exists.

Fell once and slid about 30 feet with out injury on another Montana hunt back 1995. I safely cradled my rifle with one leg tucked underneath my body, dodging rocks, spinning, and finished with a slow-motion tumble at the end. Lots of winter clothes and a day pack insulated me from any major bruises.

Had a close call nearly getting horse kicked while in the Frank Church on another mid 90's hunt. 16 miles from the trail head, this would have been a rough place to get injured.

Took another fall with my recurve in hand while bow hunting Colorado one year. The bow quiver shed a couple arrows during the spill while I somehow avoided the razor sharp broad heads.

Have often worried about getting a deep cut or bad slice while breaking down a harvested animal. If your buddy is also skinning or butchering it can be twice as dangerous. My skills are fair, but I'm blessed to have some friends that do incredible knife work. It helps to be in good communication and careful with your had placement and follow through. If in doubt, back off and work one at a time.

When things go wrong, it happens fast. After a rain event in New Mexico in 2015 I nearly slid of the mountain in my Tacoma 4X4. The "caliche mud" was treacherous and I made a poor choice getting out of the deep ruts that kept me on the FS road. In a heart beat, the truck suddenly broke traction and I hung a rear wheel of the edge. I backed off in time or I would have slid backwards down the steep embankment. Some local hounds-men/black bear hunters winched me out of danger. Thanks again guys!

Have a safe hunting season everyone! LaGriz

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Im surprised you can go that long with only seeing 5 bears though.

Me too. And I saw three of those 5 all at the same time......a sow with two cubs. So three bear sightings in 35+ years of hunting......and silly me, I keep picking up a bear tag when I can get one. THAT's certainly not playing the odds.

I have so little experience with seeing them, that maybe I don't even know to be afraid of them. Apparently we have a mountain lion in the neighborhood here now too, that doesn't scare me either. But then again, I've only ever seen one of those in 35+ years of hunting. Maybe I should be scared of elk........I see a bunch of them every year. I rarely see many deer either.

Bar

Banned
I can understand not seeing cats. They're pretty sneaky. I'll bet anything a lot of them have seen you. :)

Had our camper catch fire in the middle of the night. AC/DC converter shorted out behind the fridge, scary stuff! Campers burn fast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
OK, so I just read the article....another good Chuck Adams piece....funny how so many are horse or mule related.

I was thinking there is another one that I'm sure many can relate to. You are up high on a steep mtn and you only need to make it 20yds across that gravel slide.How bad can it be right? hose dang slide go out from under you so fast it leaves you churning for solid ground...thankfully I haven't gone over a cliff yet...but I can easily see that happening on some of those.

I have a buddy in Canada that used to guide for sheep and he survived a fall off a cliff....fell about 40'. He says, its not like in the movies where the fall is in slo mo...he says once you slip ....you're gone, he didn't have time to reach out and grab a handhold.