DIY Backpacking Hunt

I am starting to plan for my first DIY Elk hunt and I am confused at how one is supposed to carry enough water.

How do you backpack hunters do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
where? water purifier is the main way. get ready to spend some money on backpack hunting gear! :cool:

dont rely on 1 type of purifier either. most of us carry a backup. i carry a gravity filter system that i leave at camp, a steripen and enough tablets in my bino harness for a few gallons. the tablets weigh nothing so theres no good reason not to have them.

• Banned
OP
K
Can y'all provide the name of the equipment you use? Will help me a lot

gabenzeke

WKR
Steripen, katadyn pump, and Sawyer squeeze have all worked for me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Keaton,
Elk need water....if you are hunting in an area with no water....you are in the wrong spot.

I use the Pur pump, tablets, Sawyer gravity dep on the hunt.

Tsnider

WKR
i use MSR tablets in the individual packets, a rapidpure filter and msr Dromedary (made my own gravity filter), and steripen classic.

Shrek

WKR
Sawyer filter and tablets for backup. I'm adding a nylon cloth filter this year to get the larger stuff before it hits the sawyer filter or for when I use tablets. As was stated earlier , if there's elk there's water but what an elk will drink from may take a lot of confidence in your filter for you to drink from :) !

OP
K
Awesome. Thanks guys. Keep em coming. All good suggestions

Brendan

WKR
Katadyn Pump or Steripen Classic, Tablets as a backup.

Make sure you practice with whatever you decide on well in advance of your trip...

oldgoat

WKR
Wow, you got a lot of ground to make up and a short time to do it. My suggesting is start binge watching the Gear Episodes of Gritty Bowmen on YouTube! Gritty Bowmen Pick and choose episodes that are applicable!

Platypus filter system, tablets as backup.

I also use the Platypus Gravity 2.0 filter system and love it. I bought an extra filter incase the first one gets clogged. They can get clogged and then you have a useless filter.

I also agree, bring water purification tablets. They also work well, just taste like crap.. at least you won't crap a river later.

Good luck OP!!

Katadyn Hiker Pro pump with Aqua Mira drops as a back up. Always have a 3L bladder in my pack and a 32oz Nalgene on my belt when I leave camp.