Hiking style Elk Hunting Boot decision: KEEN vs Salomon vs Merrell

cvbot

FNG
Debating between ordering Salomon X Ultra Mid 2GTX, KEEN's Oakridge Mid WP, Salomon Authentic LTR GTX, and Merrill Capra Mid waterproof. All of these are on Amazon. I'm looking for a lightweight hiking style boot that is lighter than my 11" dinner high country boots. Does anyone have experience with any of these boots?

I've heard the "go to the store and try everything on" advice before but I live a long ways from an REI. Hoping to order 2 of these and keep the best pair...just trying to narrow it down to the top 2.

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
I love my X Ultra Mid 2's.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience to share with the other pairs.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I have been trying to find the same type of boot. I will throw one more into the mix that feels great on my foot but not sure how they will do in the mountains/hill of NM. They are the Oboz Wind River II. Can't find out a lot on the company (besides being headquartered in Montana).

Find a place with a good return policy.

Can't comment on specific boots, but wore Keens for three years. 1st two were great, last year, destroyed my feet. I was happy with them to that point. The waterproofing held up and they were comfortable. I could feel every rock though.

I have some Salomon 4d's now. Still feel good, a bit stiffer sole and seem to be breaking in nicely.

Good luck in your search.

Btaylor

WKR
Never see mention of them hardly but I really like my Irish setter vapor treks. Light and easy on my feet. 1st day to wear them did 14 miles with 10 yards shy of 3900' of gain and had no issues at all. Feet were tired but so was the rest of the body. That hike was in CO not here at home.

Fitzwho

WKR
I've got my eye on a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GT's. Not many of this type of boot available in 14E's. So thinking I'll be biting the bullet on these in the next week or so.

pdxcoug

FNG
I would recommend avoiding Merrell at all cost. In my experience nothing they make is "waterproof" or will last longer than a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend avoiding Merrell at all cost. In my experience nothing they make is "waterproof" or will last longer than a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second that. I called Merrell about the waterproof failure on my boots. They said it was a coating, like a DWR coating that would wear off. It's definitely not a liner. I wear Merrell boots 90% of the time in town. But on the trail, I wear my Lowa Tech lite hunters.

My brother bought the Salomon 4D and loves them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

otcWill

FNG
Of those brands, Salomon is the most durable. For a light weight hiker, take a look at the Lowa Innox. You won't be dissappointed

ElkNut1

WKR
Wish I could help! Still in search of myself! (grin) As we get older & especially if we've had any ankle issues in the past or present then we need at least a 9" top, 8" is very borderline for us! When I was younger those exonerated boots/really tennis shoes would suffice for me, but not any longer. I need ankle support for day after day of elk hunting rugged terrain & hauling loads of meat off the mountain. I'm looking pretty hard at the Crispi Idaho sport boot at present, it looks like it's got everything, support & rigidity! It just may be the one! (grin)

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
Meindl Perfekt. Going on 11 years of hard hunting, scouting, and hiking. One resole job. Still perfect construction and still 100% waterproof.

Never see mention of them hardly but I really like my Irish setter vapor treks. Light and easy on my feet. 1st day to wear them did 14 miles with 10 yards shy of 3900' of gain and had no issues at all. Feet were tired but so was the rest of the body. That hike was in CO not here at home.

I looked at them and was really pleased by the weight and feel. I looked them up when I got home from the store and the reviews all stated that the tread doesn't last very long. One guy was saying that he used them for one 2 week desert hunt and by the end the tread was almost worn off. That's the price you pay for a good gripping rubber I suppose. I hope they last a long time for you.

Btaylor

WKR
I looked at them and was really pleased by the weight and feel. I looked them up when I got home from the store and the reviews all stated that the tread doesn't last very long. One guy was saying that he used them for one 2 week desert hunt and by the end the tread was almost worn off. That's the price you pay for a good gripping rubber I suppose. I hope they last a long time for you.

Not sure if the sole is a different material but my IS snake boots are 6-7 years old and have covered a lot of ground and no issues with them at all other than the water resistance is poor now. Just re-spray them once a year now and boogie on. If it's real wet I am wearing alpha bulrlys anyway. Like is seen often in boot discussions, gotta find what works best for you. If I did more mountain hunting, I would probably be looking to upgrade to something like a lowa or comparable but for a week a year what I have works just fine.

IdahoElk

WKR
I've tried all three mentioned,presently I'm wearing Keens to work(construction) and they are not holding up so well,same with the other two brands but I'm hard on boots. If you're going to be in the backcountry for a short period of time any of the three would work.I'd bit the bullet and go with a more expensive brand like Crispi and get much better ankle support in addition to being water proof.My friend wore brand new Keens last year to Elk camp and his feet were soaked after one day of rain,not good!

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl Perfekt. Going on 11 years of hard hunting, scouting, and hiking. One resole job. Still perfect construction and still 100% waterproof.

Bar - didn't want to sidetrack this thread so I tried to send you a PM on this, but your inbox is full Sir!

anyhow - I too enjoy my Meindl Perfekt hikers - any lessons learned on the resole job? Destroyed one pair after 3 years hunting rocks/hills in Arizona. wearing my 3rd pair now. I am needing my old (second) pair resoled and getting ready to talk to some folks to see who can do what. Just curious if you have any info on your experience getting them resoled.

I never thought to resole them! I have a pair that are about 7 years old. Not my favorite for elk hunting, but still a good boot. Where did you get them resoled?

Bar

Banned
I went 9 years before resoling them. I wasn't sure where to have it done myself and took a chance on a small shop in Salida. The only one in my area. He did a good job, but the sole is a bit stiffer than the original. I wish I could give you a shop that specializes in Meindl's, but I couldn't find anyone.
I do treat mine every 6 mo with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

btw Mine aren't the Hiker model, but the Hunter. I believe they're a heavier construction.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the info

yes, hunter is a little more robust than the hiker,,,both good boots. I also have their Alaskan Hunters (they are 6 years old) but only use them sporadically as they are better insulated and I don't need that very often

take care