Elk Hunting in Open Terrain

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I've scoured over the internet and there isn't much out there for this area other than a lot of private land, and that it is open/desert country. I've talked with a Warden, and he confirmed my thoughts so far but says there are elk to be killed there and that it may be tough with a bow. Should be fun for a first elk hunt regardless, but loads of questions so far in planning.

Who all has hunted this type of terrain for elk?
Thoughts, opinions, tips for getting close?
How will they respond to calling with it being so open?
Absolutely anything else that you think may pertain to my hunt.

I'm only a few days in, but as of now I'll be arriving a day before the season starts and then hunting the next 10 days. My buddy is still going to tag along as a spotter, the words "elk meat" were all it took to convince him! If I somehow kill early, we'll go chase something on an OTC tag.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to PM me if you want to keep some stuff off the web.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Never hunted anything but timber so I can't help, but tagging along as I'm interested to learn more about this too. Maybe look into buying some decent glass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted anything but timber so I can't help, but tagging along as I'm interested to learn more about this too. Maybe look into buying some decent glass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That's the plan so far. I'll be lugging along my 10x42 binocs on a tripod and purchasing a spotting scope.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted the area, but if it's a lot of open terrain I'd probably be packing a decoy in case I needed something to try to close the gap

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted the area, but if it's a lot of open terrain I'd probably be packing a decoy in case I needed something to try to close the gap

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Yep, I'll be looking into getting one of the Montana decoys to maybe help me get within archery range.

Regardless of the type of country I'm greeted with once I'm there, only 75 more days before I'm finally elk hunting.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted terrain like that for anything, but deer. I can tell from years of elk hunting if you are going to call do not do it in the wide open make sure you have a place where they have to come within shooting range to locate you.

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted terrain like that for anything, but deer. I can tell from years of elk hunting if you are going to call do not do it in the wide open make sure you have a place where they have to come within shooting range to locate you.
Good advice. How much cover would you say is needed before you'd be comfortable calling? When watching videos on elk hunting and calling, they always seem to be in the timber.

I'm kind of anticipating this hunt may be more of a water hole or spot and stalk style adventure.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting wallows, or spot, and stalk are fine options. I would consider looking into elk 101 that Corey Jacobson put together, or some of the elknut stuff. Those guys will help shorten the leaning curve allot.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I would also learn to use a locate bugle even if you are not calling in a bull that call is very valuable at locating them.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I haven't hunted that are but I have hunted open Terrain. Hard but extremely fun. Calling is a little harder but find cover and it can be done. As mentioned already a decoy will be invaluable. Last year I called in three bulls from over 2.5 miles away. That was awesome but hard due to being hidden in the only brush for miles. I can try to answer specific questions. Feel free to pm me.

2blade

WKR
Desert terrain usually means a lack of water? Or the elk will have places they prefer to water from year to year. I used to hunt an area in Nevada that was pretty wide open with patches of timber/aspens here and there. I knew where every spring was and from year to year the elk had their preference of where to water, twice a day. I had two high spots where I would sit and glass for a few days to see what they were doing, then it was a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

One thing I learned about elk in the open, you spook em and they are gone, they are not tolerant of humans at all.

nphunter

WKR
I would start with the glassing and stalking. Once you call the gig is up and it will be tough to stalk in. I would only call once you locate elk if you cannot get any closer. Also watch the wind, there will not be thermals like in the big mountains so wind will be a huge factor on your hunt. If there are any creeks or rivers on public ground I would start there. You won't believe how much water and vegetation there is in sage country once you start covering ground.

Put a 2 hour stalk on this bull and missed him when my fall away didn't fall:( It was pooring rain and the string/wax got wet and slipped.

IMG_7240.jpg

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Open country elk are another animal all together to out smart with success. The wide open spaces seem at first that it's nearly impossible to get close to them! But after looking such country over with strategic eyes you will find that the ground isn't quite as flat as you may first have thought! It can be littered with enough undulation to put a stalk on elk that are settled in for the day. Trying to stalk on moving elk from just after daylight till 10 a.m. can be tough, they are generally in transition at that time of the morning going from feeding to bedding & it can be tough to catch up to them, by all means do not call to them when in the wide open & they can look over your way, if you can see them they can see the area where the calling is coming from, this is not good! In many cases these elk can call back to you asking you to show yourself or join them, when you don't come over their way they can get nervous & move out of there rather quickly! They know something is wrong!

Don't mess with them until they arrive at their destination whether it be feeding, (evening) water/wallow, dry wallows, bedding, etc. Once at their destination you will have hours to form a plan & execute it. The wind will be your greatest enemy, having predictable wind in flatter country is generally short lived! A stealthy stalk can be had but you must watch both wind & not being spotted.

Water is a good bet but most water in those type areas is located near flat ground, sitting there for any length of time will eventually have swirling winds that can give away your position in an instant after waiting there patiently. If you bugger elk out of a destination spot by being winded the odds are stacked against you that they will return sometime during your hunt so be cognizant of this! Be willing to back out if wind will not cooperate!

One of your best bets is once elk are located through Glassing or Calling into areas you cannot see in is to now get over to their area. If glassing, get their direction of travel & try to ambush them with zero calling. This is no gimme as elk generally will have favorable wind in their direction of travel. All it takes for you is to locate that bit of undulated ground where the wind can be in your favor that you hope they will travel through without seeing or winding you. If you can hear them & realize their path is out of your sight & range try calling them your way, turn around as you call casting your sounds behind you having them think you are further than you are. I would go straight to a contact buzz, (this asks other elk to come your way) tossing in a few excited mews & whines can also add to drawing them your direction. Cease all calling once you realize they are heading your way by sight or sound of them walking. This can pull the cows your direction & hopefully the bull will be in tow!

Another option when there are two hunters is the Call & Stalk method! This is one of my favorites in both open country or dark timber elk! Once elk are at their destination & completely out of sight, I like staying back 300-400 yards depending on sound carry in your area. I now will use a Location Bugle, (non-threatening) this generally can get the herd bull or satellites to respond back fearlessly at this long distance. I will then proceed to bugle once every minute or two minutes 3 times to let the bull know I am not advancing, this will most likely calm him down feeling this intruder bull is not pressuring him or his cows. Nice thing is the shooter is now slipping in silent mode closing the distance on his unseen bugling bull. Watch that wind & look for other elk, try not to get tunnel vision on the bugling bull & lose tract of other animals lurking nearby!!! I've had a bull bugle back to me for well over an hour as I space the Location Bugle out over 5 min to 6 min apart now that he feels good about responding back & staying anchored thus giving the shooter the time he needs on his silent stalk. Many a bulls have ended up in the freezer with this simple technique! Here's a few options, hope it helps!

ElkNut1

Lefty over on Wapiti Talk has had several years of success hunting open desert terrain. Not sure if he is on this board or not, but may want to drop in over there and hit him up.

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Open country elk are another animal all together to out smart with success. The wide open spaces seem at first that it's nearly impossible to get close to them! But after looking such country over with strategic eyes you will find that the ground isn't quite as flat as you may first have thought! It can be littered with enough undulation to put a stalk on elk that are settled in for the day. Trying to stalk on moving elk from just after daylight till 10 a.m. can be tough, they are generally in transition at that time of the morning going from feeding to bedding & it can be tough to catch up to them, by all means do not call to them when in the wide open & they can look over your way, if you can see them they can see the area where the calling is coming from, this is not good! In many cases these elk can call back to you asking you to show yourself or join them, when you don't come over their way they can get nervous & move out of there rather quickly! They know something is wrong!

Don't mess with them until they arrive at their destination whether it be feeding, (evening) water/wallow, dry wallows, bedding, etc. Once at their destination you will have hours to form a plan & execute it. The wind will be your greatest enemy, having predictable wind in flatter country is generally short lived! A stealthy stalk can be had but you must watch both wind & not being spotted.

Water is a good bet but most water in those type areas is located near flat ground, sitting there for any length of time will eventually have swirling winds that can give away your position in an instant after waiting there patiently. If you bugger elk out of a destination spot by being winded the odds are stacked against you that they will return sometime during your hunt so be cognizant of this! Be willing to back out if wind will not cooperate!

One of your best bets is once elk are located through Glassing or Calling into areas you cannot see in is to now get over to their area. If glassing, get their direction of travel & try to ambush them with zero calling. This is no gimme as elk generally will have favorable wind in their direction of travel. All it takes for you is to locate that bit of undulated ground where the wind can be in your favor that you hope they will travel through without seeing or winding you. If you can hear them & realize their path is out of your sight & range try calling them your way, turn around as you call casting your sounds behind you having them think you are further than you are. I would go straight to a contact buzz, (this asks other elk to come your way) tossing in a few excited mews & whines can also add to drawing them your direction. Cease all calling once you realize they are heading your way by sight or sound of them walking. This can pull the cows your direction & hopefully the bull will be in tow!

Another option when there are two hunters is the Call & Stalk method! This is one of my favorites in both open country or dark timber elk! Once elk are at their destination & completely out of sight, I like staying back 300-400 yards depending on sound carry in your area. I now will use a Location Bugle, (non-threatening) this generally can get the herd bull or satellites to respond back fearlessly at this long distance. I will then proceed to bugle once every minute or two minutes 3 times to let the bull know I am not advancing, this will most likely calm him down feeling this intruder bull is not pressuring him or his cows. Nice thing is the shooter is now slipping in silent mode closing the distance on his unseen bugling bull. Watch that wind & look for other elk, try not to get tunnel vision on the bugling bull & lose tract of other animals lurking nearby!!! I've had a bull bugle back to me for well over an hour as I space the Location Bugle out over 5 min to 6 min apart now that he feels good about responding back & staying anchored thus giving the shooter the time he needs on his silent stalk. Many a bulls have ended up in the freezer with this simple technique! Here's a few options, hope it helps!

ElkNut1
A wealth of knowledge! Thanks ElkNut!