New Mexico Elk tags????

How would I go about getting elk tags for a New Mexico hunt? I have a native american friend of mine that just moved there a few months ago and was thinking of visiting him in 2018. Not sure how long it will take to get tags for there. Is their ia preference points system in place? Over the counter? How good is NM compared to ther states?

Most tags are landowner tags. Depending on the area, Bull tags can go for between $5000 and $10,000 dollars which are private landowner tags. A draw is possible on Wildlife Management areas, but almost non-existent for non-residents (I have only drawn once in 28 years). If you want to shoot a Cow, you can do that for around $1500 on some ranches. No point systems for Bulls as far as I know for NM.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Apply in the draw, either NR or NR guided. 6% of the tags go to NR and 10% for guided. NR can not apply for a Wildlife Management hunt, or Cow tags. If you don't draw, you can buy a LO voucher and they'll run $1,500 to maybe $8,000. And there are significantly more draw tags than LO tags.

Apply in the draw, either NR or NR guided. 6% of the tags go to NR and 10% for guided. NR can not apply for a Wildlife Management hunt, or Cow tags. If you don't draw, you can buy a LO voucher and they'll run $1,500 to maybe $8,000. And there are significantly more draw tags than LO tags.

Yelp, also be aware some of those vouchers are strictly ranch specific and not Unit wide.

Fitzwho

WKR
Draw tags, no preference or bonus points, random draw every year, it's a "float" state. Pick a couple of the units around your buddy's area and apply. Can't draw if you don't apply. Depending on the area there may be limited or very expensive landowner tags. Some units have giants and other areas have no elk, so definitely depends on where you're headed. Landowner Vouchers are the closest thing to OTC as far as elk are concerned.

Since it's a random draw, draw chances are slight in most areas. That being said, I have applied for a total of 3 tags in NM over the last two years and have drawn 2 of those (muzzleloader Mule Deer last year and rifle bull tag for this fall).

OP
TonySkyline
So where do I start? Search for a decent area that holds elk and apply for that particular zone?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Pretty much. Applications are usually due sometime in February.

What part of the state will you be in visiting your friend?

I put in for 34, 36, and 37, which are right around Ruidoso. This is only about 4 1/2 hours from home for me.

The units in the Gilas are good and pretty much all the units from Raton and west in the north end of the state will have Elk. Clog to the NMDGF website and dig around. Lots of info there and in the publications they put out every year.