Arizona Unit 1 Late Rifle

lineman21

FNG
I drew a Unit 1 late rifle tag. I'm mainly an archery hunter and have never hunted elk out of the rut or this late in the year (December 1-7). I was wondering if anyone would care to offer up some advice for this unit during the late season. I have a friend of a friend that is going to point me in the right direction when I get there. I'm hoping to make a scouting trip this fall but no guarantees on that. I'm just looking for what type of terrain/elevation to be looking this time of year. Is it a good Unit to glass in? What size of bull should I be holding out for? I know it is a trophy unit but I'm sure the elk are educated and busted up by December so I wonder if my antler size expectations should be lower?

Thanks guys!

Maverick940

Banned
I hunted bull elk within that unit during the late rifle hunt, last year. Lots of big bulls. Didn't notice much in terms of busted antlers. I can definitely show you some great bulls in that unit during that time-frame.

OP
L

lineman21

FNG
I hunted bull elk within that unit during the late rifle hunt, last year. Lots of big bulls. Didn't notice much in terms of busted antlers. I can definitely show you some great bulls in that unit during that time-frame.

Sent you a pm.

Zim

FNG
I drew a NR early archery tag in 1 this year. Returning for the first time since 2002. I'm sure much has changed. the Wallow fire for one. I'll arrive 4 days in advance to scout.

Maverick940

Banned
I drew a NR early archery tag in 1 this year. Returning for the first time since 2002. I'm sure much has changed. the Wallow fire for one. I'll arrive 4 days in advance to scout.

Yeah, most of the unit will look a lot different for you, now. That fire was a god-send.

I drew the late Nov Archery tag....Super pumped and can't wait for the day to finally arrive. Send me a DM and we can chat about what I've learned over the past several months!

Happy to help, but only because I get first crack ;)

mmac

WKR
Lineman,

Looks like we may run into each other as I drew the same tag. I will PM you my contact and we can help each other up there.

Mark

Sbarney

FNG
This is my first time hunting in AZ since I moved here. I pulled a late elk rifle tag and was hoping to get a little insight into Unit 1. Just looking into what areas maybe have a higher probability of getting something and didn't want to go into this blind. I am by no means an avid hunter but taking my father in law who isn't in great health and hoping to enjoy this hunt. Any info would be great!! Thanks.