Printed Topo/Aerial Maps

Cranman

FNG
I'm trying to find a place to get a good printed/laminated map of my elk unit in WY. Would like topo and aerial/topo combo. Any suggestions for a good site?
thanks

Fishhead

FNG
mytopo.com is the best i have used. Complete custom maps at a good price. But most of the time i just print off arial pics and topo maps on rite-in-the-rain paper.

I use mytopo.com too. They can combine different kinds of maps as well, or have in the past. So, you can get your aerial with topo symbols overlaid on it.

Wan2gobak

FNG
Last season we ordered some nice maps from Wyoming state website. They were like topo-maps but also had elk migration patterns.

Wan2gobak

FNG
I need to give a big "shout-out" to topo-maps. I recently ordered a map of my unit, incorrectly. When I got the map I realized I couldn't see half of the unit. It was my fault but when I called they sent me another how I wanted it for free. Great customer service!!

xziang

WKR
I too have used mytopo for aerial mapping. Pricey but I like to see the hard copy of it vs my GPS. (not a fan of the paper they use though)

I also like to use the standard forest service map for that particular wilderness too. I also purchase or find the 'national geographic' one too for the area. Granted they all don't go in the pack but I like to have them available at the vehicle if I need to switch it up at times.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Mytopo.com Can select the exact area you are interested in, which is especially helpful if your area overlaps
into multiple quadrangles. Also kind of neat that you can give your map a custom name and location that comes
printed right on the map.

mvmnts

WKR
How you guys manage to use anything but caltopo amazes me. It's so far ahead of everything else out there. You can print part of your custom map, to any size piece of paper at any scale to PDF and then send that over to fedex office or print at home. It also supports geospatial PDFs so you can use it on your phone to navigate without a special app. I like to print 11x17, trim the edges off, fold in half and put it in a gallon ziplock map bag.

National Geographic makes the best maps if you can get them for your area. Now they are not primarily centered on hunting of course and you might have to carry a couple for the area you are hunting, but IMO they have the best clarity, and most detail of any map I have seen. They are printed on plastic as well, so waterproof.

That said I have MyTopo custom maps of all the units we hunt. They are great for an overview, but can be really big. I map scout with the Mytopo and use the NATGEO for actual hunting.