Colorado Elk Guide??

I went on our first elk hunt last year in Montana for a late season rifle hunt. It was backcountry DIY wife my wife tagging along. I came very close to filling my tag a couple of times but didn't get it done in the end. This year I've got a Colorado archery elk tag for unit 55. I'm a 37 year old from Arkansas, and I've hunted whitetail my entire life. My wife will be with me again this year. She's very fit and has no problems keeping up with me, but she's not any help when it comes to calling, so I'm basically on a solo hunt. I'm debating whether or not to hire a guide. Here's my reasons. Statistically speaking, it may be ten years before I punch my first tag. That puts me at almost 50 years old. Forums, TV, podcasts, and reading about elk hunting will only get you so far. Like everyone else I'd love to do this on my own, but I'd really like to hunt with an experienced hunter to decrease the learning curve. I've only got one shot a year at elk hunting, and I want to make the most of it. Anyone know of any good guides I may be able to contact? Thoughts on this post are welcomed.

Bar

Banned
The only way to learn is to do it. An outfitter knows where the elk are, and you won't learn much. Lot's of elk in 55. They aren't hard to find.

Bar

Banned
Make sure when you drive to unit 55 that you come up from Gunnison. You won't be able to get over Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista this year.

oldgoat

WKR
There are some pretty easy to use elk calls if she can't use a diaphragm, even a bad caller can get you a shot. Order a few up, my wife can use the Primos Cowgirl call real well. For what a guide costs you can buy some premium gear!

njdoxie

WKR
The only way to learn is to do it. An outfitter knows where the elk are, and you won't learn much. Lot's of elk in 55. They aren't hard to find.
when I was first starting out, I learned a lot from a veteran hunter who was also a guide.....was invaluable for me, I can't thank him enough.

Bar

Banned
when I was first starting out, I learned a lot from a veteran hunter who was also a guide.....was invaluable for me, I can't thank him enough.

Was he a friend or did you hire him as a guide? Big difference.

1signguy

WKR
Can't recommend anyone but hiring a guide makes a ton of sense in your situation. A good guide will teach you a ton and get you into the elk! I would without a doubt hire a pro!

Btaylor

WKR
OP, I am in the same boat as my wife wants to go this year. My second CO elk hunt as well. First hunt ended with an unfilled tag which a lot of folks would look at as a hiking trip. But I learned a lot about the area and how elk use it. We had a spike at 7 steps and a cow about the same (no shot) and a 5x at 80 yards that wind buggered up. Since that trip I have spent a lot of time on this site and have picked up bits and pieces of info to build on what I learned first hand on the last trip. Doesn't mean I will kill anymore than my next whitetail hunt here at home but I have a lot more confidence going back that I can close the deal with a decent opportunity. Nothing wrong with using a guide but it is certainly not impossible to succeed without one if you approach it combining whitetail tactics with turkey tactics.

Check AEi Outfitters. If memory serves they work in that unit. Be up front about wanting to learn how to find elk as much as just following the guide for a shot. If you think an outfitter can help after discussions with them then by all means do it if it is what you want.

Any time you can get advice from an "expert" it will help with the learning curve. Just make sure you have a good feeling about the outfitter and you are honest about what you want.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it was me, I'd make sure the guide specializes in "archery" hunts. I've seen an awful lot of TV archery hunts with outfitters and guides that don't seem to know what they're doing as far as archery rut hunting goes.