Chronic wasting disease in elk

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone had their elk tested?
I've never done it in spite of hunting in SE Wyoming which has a higher prevalence although still in the single digits.

I've been listening to a recent Meat Eater podcast which discusses CWD in deer and elk so it just got me thinking especially since my grandkids love game meat.

cnelk

WKR
I have only tested my big game when it is mandatory.
Never had one come back positive

I have eaten a lot of 'non tested' deer/elk from the CWD impact areas and no ill effects... yet :)

dotman

WKR

I have eaten a lot of 'non tested' deer/elk from the CWD impact areas and no ill effects... yet :)

Or so you think 😂

cnelk

WKR
It sure is peculiar that the CWD testing only takes place when there is grant money available to fund it....

Im still pissed at the massive CPW slaughter of MD along the Front Range over 10 years ago.
The herd is just now beginning to recover from that fiasco.

It sure is peculiar that the CWD testing only takes place when there is grant money available to fund it....

Im still pissed at the massive CPW slaughter of MD along the Front Range over 10 years ago.
The herd is just now beginning to recover from that fiasco.

Lol how are they supposed to pay for it with no money available. If you want to learn, check out Rinellas latest podcast, lots of interesting info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol how are they supposed to pay for it with no money available. If you want to learn, check out Rinellas latest podcast, lots of interesting info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to that pod cast?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I had a bull tested in 2013 from the Flat Tops, just because I brought the head out for a euro mount anyways. Came back negative.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Arkansas imported elk from Colorado a decade or longer ago. Last year when they did some tests on our deer herd they found that not only did those elk have CWD but it had spread to our deer (whitetail). They had pretty much discovered that it was in a 5-8 county zone so those areas now have a very generous bag limit on deer and I believe your deer have to be tested to track the disease (as well as any elk killed in our very small tag allotment). Also if an elk is found outside of this "CWD zone" you can shoot the elk on sight no permit or restriction required.

These are the first cases of CWD being in Arkansas and a lot of locals are very upset at the game and fish for introducing the elk in the first place. A select few on our state hunting forums want the elk eradicated.

For years Arkansas has had a no bones across state line policy to combat the possible introduction of the disease. You kill an elk in Colorado or white tail in Kansas no bones can come back with you and skulls better be boiled or at the very least brain and spinal cord matter removed

As small as the herd is in Arkansas they don't serve much purpose. I got not opinion on the elk either way and but if I owned land in Boxley valley I would probably hate them too. I definitely think that CWD came in with the elk but it was probably gonna get here eventually anyway. At this point though wiping out the elk because of CWD is a moot point. It's already here. Lots of folks freaking out over the disease. Colorado has had it for decades. Still got plenty of elk and deer.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I have tested all the elk and mulies I've harvested for quite a few years now. never had a positive but the CP&W results say something like "not detected" which doesn't mean it isn't present at some low level. Doesn't give me great comfort. So I use rubber gloves and clean my knife and bone saw with bleach as recommended...even though the bleach doesn't kill off the prions... I've talked to a couple CP&W officers that don't test their harvests but have stopped eating the liver where it can concentrate.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR

I wish Wyoming's testing procedure was better described. Getting the retropharyngeal nodes would not be a problem but they don't tell you what to do with them (transport, handling, storage)

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I've talked to a couple CP&W officers that don't test their harvests but have stopped eating the liver where it can concentrate.

Probably more mis-information or misunderstanding or a myth. I've never read of any liver warnings pertaining to CWD. Except that some folks don't like liver in general.

cnelk

WKR
If you want to learn, check out Rinellas latest podcast, lots of interesting info.

I live less than a mile from the CSU testing area and reading some of these post it seems like this CWD is something new... its not.

I know plenty about the CWD impact, and have learned what many are discussing currently years ago [i.e. 12+]

In fact, earlier this year a cow elk 'escaped' from the one of CSUs pens and I never did hear if it was recovered.

Here is a link about the CWD testing that was done 13 years ago - in case you missed it.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/6/pdfs/03-1082.pdf [see Conclusion]

And a more recent CWD study in relationship to humans and concussions - Brain Ailments

CSU team uses test for chronic wasting disease to study brain ailments in people | SOURCE

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Probably more mis-information or misunderstanding or a myth. I've never read of any liver warnings pertaining to CWD. Except that some folks don't like liver in general.

Good point, I loosely worded my comment. They stopped eating the liver because they "think" it could concentrate there because of how the liver cleans the blood, detoxifies, etc. That's what is so darn frustrating with CWD...some science but nothing definitive when it comes to the species barrier concerns.

TWGator

FNG
Was a really interesting podcast, I never really worried about cwd in meat before but that got me thinking. The reason they bring it up now is how many deer are harvested in whisky. It would really suck to live in a place where 50% of your deer had cwd