Elk game bags

530Chukar

WKR
Solo Hntr has the Caribou Carnivour III bags for $46 now. Sign up for their newsletter and get 20% off your next order. I just picked up a set for $44 after shipping.

The number one issue in my area are blowflies. Allen bags, you might as well just hang the quarters without bag as the outcome is the same. The flies are so bad that we've gone to pillow cases for everything, and we have packed in a large mosquito net. The weight nothing and work well.

There is nothing worse than hanging meat packing it out, only to find the flies have blown through a game bag. This is especially ugly when you have boned out meat. It can be a chore getting all the "white rice" out.

I like my Caribou bags. They clean up nice after use and seem like they wick properly to leave a nice glaze on the meat.

ElkNut1

WKR
Coveyleader, I believe you got the wrong Allen Game Bags bud? They come in different sizes & grades, you must have ended up with the light weight models? You want the Outfitter Series #6020 at minimum, they now have an even heavier duty one these days too. No flies or any insects could penetrate the Outfitter Grade bags, they are tightly woven buggers! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Coveyleader, I believe you got the wrong Allen Game Bags bud? They come in different sizes & grades, you must have ended up with the light weight models? You want the Outfitter Series #6020 at minimum, they now have an even heavier duty one these days too. No flies or any insects could penetrate the Outfitter Grade bags, they are tightly woven buggers! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

And the Allen Backcountry Meat Bags are pretty much like the Tag and Caribou bags. There's no blow flies getting through those. Totally different bags from some of their other offerings.

Attachments

• 100_3481.jpg
    100_3481.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98
That bag of Allens scares me. Surely those are the ones I have purchased over the years. Same bag, I can't recall if they said "Outfitter" but those days are gone. Not worth the risk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That bag of Allens scares me. Surely those are the ones I have purchased over the years. Same bag, I can't recall if they said "Outfitter" but those days are gone. Not worth the risk.

I have several of those as I cleaned a Walmart out one year after Christmas several years ago for dirt cheap. But now I just use their Meat Bags on the left. They weigh about 1.5lbs less and work twice as well.

I just wanted to update this thread verifying that they were Allen "Outfitter series" bags I was using. I can assure you they will not keep blowflies from blowing through.

jdk81

FNG
Tag Bags are the original as far as I can tell. Caribou literally copied the product from Larry Bartlett with Pristine Ventures. All of the others are copies of this concept.

Kifaru / Aron Snyder and Larry Bartlett are good acquaintances, or at least have been. BOMB Bags are the way to go IMO.

Savage99

WKR
So, those Allen backcountry 20"x30" bags will fit a bone-in rear Elk quarter? I read the entire thread, but I don't see where someone stated as much. New elk hunter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, those Allen backcountry 20"x30" bags will fit a bone-in rear Elk quarter? I read the entire thread, but I don't see where someone stated as much. New elk hunter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them and I doubt it. Allen makes a larger version of their back country bags.

ElkNut1

WKR
I use the Allen Deluxe Quarter bags (Outfitter Series # 6020) they're 12" X60" -- These are very tough & easily hold an elk hind quarter on the bone! Don't let the 12" wide mislead you they stretch out quite a bit!

ElkNut/Paul