Elk game bags

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Preparing for an Elk hunt in September and looking for game bags. The two companies I've narrowed down to are TAG and Caribou. With the TAG bags there's a few options of 24x44 and 28x60 and the BOMB boned out meat bag kit. The Caribou has an Elk magnum pack which seems like a good option as well. I plan on de boning the meat in the field but with the heat, I might just have to pack up quarters and go. So I wanted a few options in my pack with me depending on time of the day I get the Elk and how many trips I'm looking at making. I still have a TAG pack of 24x44 for Deer that I haven't used yet but not sure if that will be enough if I just quarter the Elk out. What are you using for game bags for Elk?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually the hotter it is the more sense it makes to get the meat off the bone in the field. It will cool that much quicker.

Black Ovis Large Elk bags on Camofire today.

elkyinzer

WKR
You can put the boned out meat in a bigger bag but you can't make the bag bigger if you decide to transport the quarters bone-in. That's the logic I go with anyway. I use the TAG 24 x 44 size on both elk and whitetail, bone in and deboned, and been very happy with them. I was pleasantly shocked how clean they wash up after use.

Les is right about faster cooling if you bone it out, but I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think more important than the air temperature, the most important factor is the time between death and processing. I.e. if you have a double lung shot he dies in sight, and you can have that quarter off and hanging within a couple hours of death. Those shots are great, you can take your time, you don't worry about bone sour. Even in air temps in the 70's you're going to have plenty of time to get the meat out. In that case if it's not a long packout I much prefer to leave the bones in, keep everything clean. If on the other hand you have a poor shot and several hours pass where that animal is potentially laying dead, not losing any body heat, then you start getting concerned about bone sour. In that case I would debone and do everything I can to get the heat dissipated asap, it's a race against the clock. So yes, air temperatures factor into the equation but time between death and processing is a far more significant factor.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I'll have to play it by ear. Where I am hunting it's supposed to be 85-90 during the day and close to freezing at night so ideally I would like to shoot something close to the later afternoon and pack it out at night. I plan on being a ways in. Has anyone used those 28x60 bags? And what are you guys using for the cape?

Last edited:
I use the BOMB bags and absolutely love them. If you're worried about keeping the meat cool, just hang it near a creek or submerge it in plastic bags. Unfortunately, we have no control over the weather, and I certainly wouldn't pass up a good opportunity at an elk because of the weather. You may just need to do things a little differently depending on the current weather conditions.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
The good thing is there is a ton of options out there. My biggest concern is shooting a monster and my bags not being. If enough so I might get a couple of the large ones to be safe

bmart2622

WKR
The 28x60 bags are for moose, they are huge, way to big to use for elk. If you are going to bone the meat out use th BOMB bags, they are tapered to keep the meat from balling up in the bottom of the bag. If you are leaving them bone in use the 24x44 bags.

bmart2622

WKR
Id buy a set from the guy who put in all the time and work to test fabrics and came up with the concept that all these other companies are now using.

Has anyone tried to fit more than one bone-in elk "quarter" in a TAG 24"x44" bag? Two fronts in one? A front and a back in one?
I plan to debone and use the B.O.M.B. set for packing out. However, if it is a long recovery, very warm weather and/or lots of flies I was thinking of hanging whole quarters until all of the meat was off the carcass. Straps, neck, ribs and such will go direct to BOMB bags but quarters might get hung until all four are off. Big bags would be nice for fly protection but it would be nice to only carry two of them.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Id buy a set from the guy who put in all the time and work to test fabrics and came up with the concept that all these other companies are now using.

Not sure who you are talking about.. maybe you could PM me. Only bags I have right now are the TAG bags I bought off pristine ventures 24x44. Sounds like they will be plenty big enough, but those BOMB might be what I need if I de bone it.

Are the kifaru meat baggies similar to the BOMB bags?

Last edited:
OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried to fit more than one bone-in elk "quarter" in a TAG 24"x44" bag? Two fronts in one? A front and a back in one?
I plan to debone and use the B.O.M.B. set for packing out. However, if it is a long recovery, very warm weather and/or lots of flies I was thinking of hanging whole quarters until all of the meat was off the carcass. Straps, neck, ribs and such will go direct to BOMB bags but quarters might get hung until all four are off. Big bags would be nice for fly protection but it would be nice to only carry two of them.

I have same concern. Hopefully we get a bunch of input on this thread. I'm still new to the game and finally go drawn for a badass Elk hunt that I don't want to mess up. All I do is research but most of the best info I've got is from the hunting vets that have tried everything already

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Hey Thor, I was talking about Larry Bartlett who is the owner/creator of TAG bags. He did lab tests and studies of bacterial growth in different fabrics before coming up with TAG bags, now there are several other companies offering very similar products. The Kifaru meat baggies are meant for transport in a pack bag, they aren't made to breathe

I would recommend boning out to get the meat cooler, while also applying Citric Acid powder. Please see the link from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, in which they explain how to make and use the citric acid powder:

Field-to-Freezer Meat Care in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

I figure if that government agency recommends and the conditions up there are more difficult than here in the lower 48, might be worth it, right?

Thor, I thought I was sort of addressing the same issue so I threw the question into your thread - was about to start my own but you beat me to it.

And I was just about to mention the citric acid as well and Nevada beat me to that. I gotta step it up....

I carry a little Platypus water bottle in my kill kit. I put a spray/squirt top on it and put a dose of citric acid powder in it. All I have to do is add water. I have two more doses of powder in a zip-loc also. I plan to use it as first line of defense against flies and surface spoilage. Am thinking of adding the two big bags to help cover any conditions that would challenge meat care, or just to have packing flexibility. Also as suggested I have some clean plastic bags for cold water submersion after the meat has cooled and dried for a night if I feel the need for extending the chill.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm using the Allen Backcountry Meat bags now. They're 20"x30" and IMO the perfect size for boned out meat. I carry 5 of them. Last year I had four that came in the pack and still needed a little more room so used my Kifaru 1-ounce bag. But that was 268lbs of meat, and I don't usually fill them to the rim.

cnelk

WKR
Nothing wrong with using good ol white pillow cases,
Get the over-sized ones with high thread count

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 170
OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider