Hunting Deep in CO

whitingja

WKR
I think the distances get exaggerated on here, kind like fish stories, just sounds better. Very few place 15 miles in, without a road nearby. Get 1.5 miles in and your ahead of 75% of the others. Really, find the nasty hard places to get to, where no person wants to navigate, and that's where the elk will be.

I love this thread. I was thinking the same thing. The unit we hunted last year when you get 4-5 miles in you start getting closer to the road on the other side. And when you get into the units that are closer to towns it must get worse lol

dotman

WKR
I'm pretty sure the standard math for this is take your GPS miles walked times 3 plus miles driven from highway to trailhead divided by 1.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Weminuche or maybe south San Juan is the only place you can get more than 6-7 miles from a road in CO. The wilderness area I hunt you cant get more than 2.5 miles. But that 2.5 miles is a bitch. Real steep and littered with dead pines that reach out and trip you. One canyon kicks my but after only 1/2 mile in.

2 miles, or further in areas without roads will get you into elk from the 2nd week on. Less the first week.