Wyoming Elk Planning for 2019

Eagle

WKR
Currently planning an archery elk hunt for 2019 in Wyoming. Hunting partner and I will have an average of 6 points with our PP's combined by that time, and as such, are looking at a Type 9 tag for units 51 or 67. We don't plan to hire a guide, so I know the wilderness will be off limits, and I'm aware of the grizzlies in both areas. That said, our other options appear to be units on the south side of the bighorns (36, 37, 40, 41).

Main question is does anyone have experience in the non wilderness portions of these units? If so, please PM so we can have an off forum discussion. Main concern is elk numbers off the wilderness and within the NR accessible parts of those units as well as access to the available public.

wytx

WKR
You could also draw a general tag and be able to choose from many different areas. Remember many tags allow you to archery hunt and come back for rifle if you don't fill during archery. Elk are everywhere if you pick a good unit with public access. Wyoming Range, Snowies, Sierra Madres, etc.. No grizz in almost all of those areas I mentioned.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
You could also draw a general tag and be able to choose from many different areas. Remember many tags allow you to archery hunt and come back for rifle if you don't fill during archery. Elk are everywhere if you pick a good unit with public access. Wyoming Range, Snowies, Sierra Madres, etc.. No grizz in almost all of those areas I mentioned.

Yep, I fully understand the general opportunity, but we'd be wasting several years of points to go that route and would prefer to not do that if possible.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ELK_PP_NONRES_2017.pdf

Look at this page for your odds then go look at the Hunt Planner Map for the amount of access available to you as a NR. Access on private will be hard to get without paying but some landowners will allow archery hunting.

Thanks. I'm familiar with both resources. Toprut - Western Big Game Hunting Reference is also a very valuable tool for the NR hunter as it has draw odds and maps of the units with the types of land ownership shown on the maps.

The wife and I hunted 67 last year, and will again this year. We were in wilderness area last year though. We are hunting a different part this year which may not be wilderness, but I need to look at a map when I get home. We are going scouting next weekend to check things out. Just PM me if you have specific questions that I might be able to answer.

As for area 51, I have never hunted up there, only camped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thomas11

WKR
With regard to 51 and 67, if I'm not mistaken the type 9 hunts in these areas usually have leftovers, correct me if I'm wrong? And 67 has a general season as well. The type 9 tag can be drawn with 0 points in special Draw I'm pretty sure. I would see no reason in burning those kinda points on those hunts. U could actually list it as a second choice and draw in special and keep your points!! I would also eliminate 36,37 as those can be drawn with 0 points archery and they have a general season as well. But this is just my opinion. Not saying u can't have a great hunt in any of these units but with 6 pts I'd chose elsewhere. Then maybe the next yr come back and draw some of these archery hunts that can be had with no pts

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
With regard to 51 and 67, if I'm not mistaken the type 9 hunts in these areas usually have leftovers, correct me if I'm wrong? And 67 has a general season as well. The type 9 tag can be drawn with 0 points in special Draw I'm pretty sure. I would see no reason in burning those kinda points on those hunts. U could actually list it as a second choice and draw in special and keep your points!! I would also eliminate 36,37 as those can be drawn with 0 points archery and they have a general season as well. But this is just my opinion. Not saying u can't have a great hunt in any of these units but with 6 pts I'd chose elsewhere. Then maybe the next yr come back and draw some of these archery hunts that can be had with no pts

If that is true, I'm not seeing it within the draw odds (unit 51 and 67 that is)? Main goal is to use the points in a limited entry unit for a September Archery Elk hunt. From my research, I've not found many areas that are limited entry and open on September 1 for archery? If I'm missing something, let me know, but 51 seems like the best bet with that criteria?

Thomas11

WKR
There were no first choice app for special archery in unit 51. Only second choice. If those ppl drew their first choice then there were leftovers. Someone here can prolly check what the original leftover list was this yr? But I see no reason to burn 6 pts on that archery tag when it can be had with 0! There are hunts in state that have type 9 tags and limited entry rifle as well for same unit. Keep in mind, the type 1 hunters can always hunt from sept 15 until the end of month. So really the type 9 tags only get u the earlier sept 1-15 dates. There are some units where type 1 hunters can't hunt in sept w bow but for most areas they can

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
There were no first choice app for special archery in unit 51. Only second choice. If those ppl drew their first choice then there were leftovers. Someone here can prolly check what the original leftover list was this yr? But I see no reason to burn 6 pts on that archery tag when it can be had with 0! There are hunts in state that have type 9 tags and limited entry rifle as well for same unit. Keep in mind, the type 1 hunters can always hunt from sept 15 until the end of month. So really the type 9 tags only get u the earlier sept 1-15 dates. There are some units where type 1 hunters can't hunt in sept w bow but for most areas they can

I'm not seeing where type 1 allows for hunts starting sept 15 in any of the units I'm interested in. For instance, ideally, I'd like to hunt 38, but it's type 1 tag begins Oct. 15 from what I'm finding?

wapitibob

WKR
51 and 67 type 9 were both 4 point units in 2017, regular price draw.
51 is LE, 67 is a GEN unit.
51 does not have a special archery season used with a type 1 tag.
67 special archery on the GEN tag starts Sept 15.
67 type 9 Special could be drawn as 2nd choice, retaining your points. You could then archery hunt from the 15th and rifle hunt on the 1st.
51 Special type 9 could also be drawn as a 2nd choice, with no rifle option but archery season opens on Sept 1.

Special licenses will be almost $1,300 in 2018.

Download the new reg book and look at the special archery season section, right below the Elk season dates. Those archery seasons will be in table format under each game animals season dates; Deer, Antelope, etc.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5_BROCHURE.pdf

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
51 and 67 type 9 were both 4 point units in 2017, regular price draw.
51 is LE, 67 is a GEN unit.
51 does not have a special archery season used with a type 1 tag.
67 special archery on the GEN tag starts Sept 15.
67 type 9 Special could be drawn as 2nd choice, retaining your points. You could then archery hunt from the 15th and rifle hunt on the 1st.
51 Special type 9 could also be drawn as a 2nd choice, with no rifle option but archery season opens on Sept 1.

Special licenses will be almost $1,300 in 2018.

Download the new reg book and look at the special archery season section, right below the Elk season dates. Those archery seasons will be in table format under each game animals season dates; Deer, Antelope, etc.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5_BROCHURE.pdf

Bob, thanks. That clears up my misunderstandings well. I'll ignore 67, and I guess concentrate on 51. Special isn't an option, so regular draw it is for us and no second choice options. We'll be strictly general in the future in Wyoming after 2019.