Elk/Deer hunter- how to carry Binos & Ranger

So I just bought the Sitka bino bivy and Kuiu bino harness and both of them are about 7/10 on functionality. Sadly I found the AGC to be around the same but because it was so bulky I sold it. I would assume the FHF to be the same.

With the Sitka and Kuiu I am having a hard time figuring out how to carry my ranger as well.

Suggestions?

My hunting is is pretty well split 50/50 western/tree stand hunting so I need versatility.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
The fhf is not as bulky as the AGC. I've been running an fhf for the past 4 years and have been very happy with it. I run my Leica range finder on it also. As for as functionality, the fhf works perfectly for me; not too bulky, secures my binos when I'm on the move, and they are easily accessed when I need them. Another thing I like about these is that your binos are attached to the harness, so they will hang when sitting still glassing, or you can detach them if needed. These are worth a good look.

Vortex makes a bino harness that is eerily similiar to the FHF gear, but about half the price. However it's not made in America.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Muleyfreak harness is sized similar to kuiu with some improvements and a pocket in front for a range finder. I'm using a marsupial pouch harness and range finder pouch. Still like the range snap but maybe because I used it for so many years

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FHF and kuiu both make a rangefinder pouch you can add onto your Sitka or kuiu Bino pouch and work extremely well. I used the FHF Rangefinder pouch for past 4-5 years and this year went to the kuiu rangefinder pouch

• Banned
OP
K
Muleyfreak harness is sized similar to kuiu with some improvements and a pocket in front for a range finder. I'm using a marsupial pouch harness and range finder pouch. Still like the range snap but maybe because I used it for so many years

I like the look of the marsupial pouch. How are the straps on it? I don't like how the straps meet to a point instead of having a large area like Kuiu/Sitka.

How is the ranger pocket? I'm really wanting something I can reach into with one hand and not have to negotiate anything with it.

OP
K
FHF and kuiu both make a rangefinder pouch you can add onto your Sitka or kuiu Bino pouch and work extremely well. I used the FHF Rangefinder pouch for past 4-5 years and this year went to the kuiu rangefinder pouch

Why the switch? I can stand the bino harness to be 7/10 but the ranger pouch must be 10/10. I'm needing to be able to get to it with one hand and be silent. Mind you I'm 6'8 260lbs with hotdogs for fingers.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marsupial is nice because it'll stay opened or closed. I'll try and get some pictures. I haven't noticed any discomfort with the straps

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a couple quick photos
f5e6d83a01df2df6a3bce62e2c35d2bc.jpg
71f3b046741da588e01b6ade513abf0c.jpg
d12f4d4541570ff6b38a5b266b8cf103.jpg
1bb33612461473d149914943a4278f22.jpg

OP
K
Does it have a rain cover? How does it stay open?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has a YouTube video of binoculars in there shaking it upside-down. I didn't test it to that extreme but won't come open by running or hitting a bump on a wheeler. I don't think the magnet noise will be an issue. Binoculars and range finder fit well enough they won't they fall out on a stalk when open (I like having them available quick) and I'll just leave them open when in the stand if it's not rain/snowing.

This will be my first season with the marsupial I got them at first of year. Guess we'll see my season starts next month.

OP
K
He has a YouTube video of binoculars in there shaking it upside-down. I didn't test it to that extreme but won't come open by running or hitting a bump on a wheeler. I don't think the magnet noise will be an issue. Binoculars and range finder fit well enough they won't they fall out on a stalk when open (I like having them available quick) and I'll just leave them open when in the stand if it's not rain/snowing.

This will be my first season with the marsupial I got them at first of year. Guess we'll see my season starts next month.

Keep me posted. I don't open up til 10/1

Thanks for the info and good luck

Tag_Soup

WKR
I'm currently testing out the muley freak harness. I haven't had it for very long yet, but so far I really like it! Seems like the perfect blend between AGC and FHF. Not bulky at all, but big enough for a wind checker, small head lamp, binos, and a range finder. I also keep a couple diaphragm calls, some flagging tape, and my tags/licenses in it. Range finder pocket zips open, but is pretty darn silent for one hand use once it is.

OP
K
I'm currently testing out the muley freak harness. I haven't had it for very long yet, but so far I really like it! Seems like the perfect blend between AGC and FHF. Not bulky at all, but big enough for a wind checker, small head lamp, binos, and a range finder. I also keep a couple diaphragm calls, some flagging tape, and my tags/licenses in it. Range finder pocket zips open, but is pretty darn silent for one hand use once it is.

It's like the Kuiu and I'm not really a fan of the front flap but that might just be because the Kuiu pouch falls when I glass. I don't think the MF pouch would do that. But I also don't want to get too "thick" or too far out in front of my body. I could see the ranger pouch making it a "deep" or "thick" pouch

FlyGuy

WKR
I got the muley freak harness in about a month ago but havent had much of a chance to test it as my binos have been with swaro (clean and check) and then KDC (installing bino adapter stud) the whole time. Scouting trip 1st weekend of august so that will be the test to see if i like it more than the AGC ive had for a couple years, butbits looking good so far.

One thing you might consider, since you already own the sitka harness, is pairing it with their new Ascent Vest. To me, i think that may be the ticket. I never considered their harness before because it didnt have enough storage for all the little extras i like to have on my chest and at the ready; but conversely im annoyed at my AGC for being bulky.... that new vest is essentially an ultralight flyfishing vest for elk hunting, which is kind'a brilliant really.

I just wish they made one in a solid color. I havent made the switch to subalpine, and my OCD will not let me mix camo patterns
90c4cd63ddbb5a9562ac8fd8f43f3160.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk