Elk/Deer hunter- how to carry Binos & Ranger

OP
K
I got the muley freak harness in about a month ago but havent had much of a chance to test it as my binos have been with swaro (clean and check) and then KDC (installing bino adapter stud) the whole time. Scouting trip 1st weekend of august so that will be the test to see if i like it more than the AGC ive had for a couple years, butbits looking good so far.

One thing you might consider, since you already own the sitka harness, is pairing it with their new Ascent Vest. To me, i think that may be the ticket. I never considered their harness before because it didnt have enough storage for all the little extras i like to have on my chest and at the ready; but conversely im annoyed at my AGC for being bulky.... that new vest is essentially an ultralight flyfishing vest for elk hunting, which is kind'a brilliant really.

I just wish they made one in a solid color. I havent made the switch to subalpine, and my OCD will not let me mix camo patterns
90c4cd63ddbb5a9562ac8fd8f43f3160.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Great suggestion. My only concern or dislike is it being a full article of clothing.

I didn't realize I was so picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag_Soup

WKR
It's like the Kuiu and I'm not really a fan of the front flap but that might just be because the Kuiu pouch falls when I glass. I don't think the MF pouch would do that. But I also don't want to get too "thick" or too far out in front of my body. I could see the ranger pouch making it a "deep" or "thick" pouch

That's why I never took the plunge on the Kuiu. The muley freak stays nice and tight and you can quick disconnect the binos or leave them attached with the small straps. The lid works great and stays where you leave it, which I really like. I have been running it without a range finder and it stays really close to the chest. Much more so than the AGC. I have the size medium and wouldn't want to run it with anything bigger than a Leica range finder, but it is pretty sleek. They definitely put some thought in. With vortex razor 8x42 it is just snug enough to where you have to press the binos back in, but still one handed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Based on the non MIA I am out!

You realize that neither the Sitka or Kuiu harnesses are made in the States either, right? I've got a new Sitka and an AGC. AGC is bulky, mine has the basement and not the front pocket, and my buddies who run Badlands cases say its bulky. I think they should look in the mirror...my Sitka pouch is low profile and I like that, but for goodness sakes Sitka, put a freaking zippered license pocket on it. There's trade offs with any harness.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear a Microtex 7-button collared shirt with chest pockets. My RF goes in my left chest pocket (I'm LH) with the strap around my neck. My bino's hang under my right arm. I used to keep my RF in my pants front left pocket, but that's too much movement and takes too much time.

OP
K
You realize that neither the Sitka or Kuiu harnesses are made in the States either, right? I've got a new Sitka and an AGC. AGC is bulky, mine has the basement and not the front pocket, and my buddies who run Badlands cases say its bulky. I think they should look in the mirror...my Sitka pouch is low profile and I like that, but for goodness sakes Sitka, put a freaking zippered license pocket on it. There's trade offs with any harness.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes I do realize.... Now. Lol

They have lost a lot of respect based on that alone but I was in a pinch (or thought I was anyways) when I got both of them. Still not a great excuse.

OP
K
I wear a Microtex 7-button collared shirt with chest pockets. My RF goes in my left chest pocket (I'm LH) with the strap around my neck. My bino's hang under my right arm. I used to keep my RF in my pants front left pocket, but that's too much movement and takes too much time.

This may be too simple for me!

Felix40

WKR
Still figuring out imgur. Ive used the marsupial a lot from 15 to 95 degrees on rifle and bow hunts. Only complaint I have is the inside fabric can be a bit noisy when its super cold. Everything else is perfect. Magnets are secure and quiet and it rides right. I will have a rangefinder pouch before bow season.
vv2fBHW.jpg

OWh6FEI.jpg

3ZzCvOa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
K
I'm leaning towards marsupial pouch with ranger pocket.

Any more nocks on marsupial ?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still figuring out imgur. Ive used the marsupial a lot from 15 to 95 degrees on rifle and bow hunts. Only complaint I have is the inside fabric can be a bit noisy when its super cold. Everything else is perfect. Magnets are secure and quiet and it rides right. I will have a rangefinder pouch before bow season.
vv2fBHW.jpg

OWh6FEI.jpg

3ZzCvOa.jpg
Lightly sanding the inner fabric really quited it down for me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe rokslide has a video review on thier YouTube channel also. Justin is running this year also

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
I use the clip on the rangefinder to secure it to my Sitka bino bivy. Easy day. No rain hood, but it is easily accessible one-handed and quiet.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I have the marsupual with range finder pocket,,,like it better than the AGC I have and a couple of POSs,,,,,,,,I really like the magnets method,,,,easy open, stays open, easy close,,,,,,

fits well but I've only had it since this spring,,,used it all turkey season but not for big game yet,,,,,,

FHF and kuiu both make a rangefinder pouch you can add onto your Sitka or kuiu Bino pouch and work extremely well. I used the FHF Rangefinder pouch for past 4-5 years and this year went to the kuiu rangefinder pouch

This is what I do. FHF rangefinder pouch attached to my Kuiu harness. Really like the looks of the Marsupial, though...

muddydogs

WKR
I haven't takes very good photo's of my harness yet but below is what I have for photo's. I don't like anything on the market and had an idea for a bino pack so I contacted Rugged Stitching / Pods8 on this forum and he made my idea.

I wanted on main compartment to fit my 12x50 Vortex bino's and range finder then outside stretchy pockets for wind checking and calls. There is also a back pocket that fits my cell phone and other stuff.

Mind you this was the first time Pods8 has made anything like this so there might be a couple stitching mess ups visible in the photo's but all in all its damn fine work. There's a few things I would like different like the outside stretch pockets are to deep, I wanted them this deep so its nothing on Pods8, but I plan on using the pack this season and then having another one made once I see what else I might change. Pods8 just made the bino pack and I attached my S4Gear shoulder harness to it.

If you have an idea you should give Pods8 a go at making what you want.

If you want better pics let me know and I'll get on that, been meaning to do a post about the bino pack but haven't got it done yet.

i.php

i.php

i.php

Last edited:
I am trying the Marsupial this year. Have used the S4 for years, but it was kind of worn out. My binculars kept sliding out the side. Had a range snap attached.

I kept the range snap lanyard to help pull the range finder out of the pouch, but really like the setup the few times I have worn it.