Learn to bugle

IL Red

FNG
Can a feller learn to bugle in a month? Plans shifted, I'll be in the Elk Woods again. I can cow call ok, would like to bugle.

Depends on your skill level with you chosen call type. When I first started it was easy to listen to a call and repeat it but it was hard for me to make a "cold" call in the woods. I practiced every morning on my commute and every evening on the way home for about 2 months when I first picked up a diaphragm.

I would say get started and see how quick you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
It aint going to hurt to try! Most people dont learn that fast (IMO), but most people dont need to either. I bet you can get "good enough" (or same level as me 😁) if you put the practice in. I was able to pick up diaphrams without too much trouble, but only b/c i had spent time with turkey calls previously.

If you have trouble with diaphrams, those primos (terminator, maybe?) Tubes with the little blue plastic caps are by far the easiest to learn. I can only do a location bugle with the blue plastic though, i couldnt figure out how to chuckle with it, but it makes a clean, loud and super hugh pitch locator.

Learn a lesson from me: My first archery elk (otc) i walked for two days without seeing the first elk (all timber). At about 4pm on day two i was beat tired, frustrated and discouraged. It was time to begin working my way back towards my truck. Id been carrying that bugle around with me the whole time but had never once used it b/c i wasnt confident enough. Decided that since i was heading back anyway, what the hell and I gave it a rip. Wouldnt you know it a bull answered me from well under 200 yards! My very first time blowing on a bugle tube and i got a response from what turned out to be a very nice 6×6! I bet that happens less than .0001% of the time. He came in to a cow call. I didnt understand set ups at the time and put myself in a no win situation, but he was broadside at 83 yards for a few seconds (max range for me is 70). Anyway, that experience completely changed me. Since then i am a complete addict!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Sure you can! I practice with diaphragms when I'm driving to work. Won't be a pro but you'll make a ton of progress

Tag_Soup

WKR
Get a semi-decent audio recorder. Put it 25 yards away and try to mimic elk sounds. I like to download a clip of real elk and try to match it. Then I play back my audio and see how well I did. It's a lot easier to correct mistakes when you know what they sound like.

Beendare

WKR
Can a feller learn to bugle in a month?......

Easily. The hardest part of the whole deal is getting used to having a diaphram- the whole foreign object thing- in your mouth. Pop one in on your way to work for a week and you are golden. They get funky...so have extras.

My take on calling; I think the online guys selling their programs make it more complex than it needs to be. You aren't trying to discuss nuance politics with them....you are just trying to find and kill them. No offense to the excellent buglers out there- sure realism helps. But in reality.... Chuckles....no need. You really only need to know 2 essential sounds;

1) A less intimidating locator bugle [like from a smaller bull]- start low then sing song up high as best you can. It ain't rocket science. Keep it sorter if you aren't that good, it will still work. In the real world these bulls are all over the map sound wise.

2) A more intimidating scream. These are all over the map too but one constant; they end the call abruptly....key is to add feeling to the sound.

Most times a guy really only needs the locator. The challenging scream can work close in...or NOT.

It does help if you understand elk behavior [pretty much a basic tenant with any animal you are hunting] and there are good programs for that. Hard to beat the Chris Roe stuff for $27.....but CJ and Elknut is good too. Best of luck.

hobbes

WKR
If you plan to use a diaphragm call then it depends on your current skill level with a diaphragm. Are you already skilled at using one for turkey hunting or making cow sounds? If so, you don't have to go through overcoming the gag reflex. If not, then you've got to get around that first and just learn how to get basic sounds from a diaphragm.

If you plan to use a bugle with a built in reed then it shouldn't be that difficult to get a decent bugle.

One thing is for sure, if you don't try by practice, practice, practice.........you definitely won't.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy several brands and go for it. Always best to keep the bugle shorter than too long.you won't know until you try and gives you another option. Good luck

OP
I

IL Red

FNG
Well I just ordered a bugle tube. I run a turkey diaphragm effectively. I guess the worst that could happen, my wife breaks my plate and sends me packing, for practicing or I scare off a world class bull or just take my new bugle for a walk in the woods. Thanks all ya'll!

Tag_Soup

WKR
Well I just ordered a bugle tube. I run a turkey diaphragm effectively. I guess the worst that could happen, my wife breaks my plate and sends me packing, for practicing or I scare off a world class bull or just take my new bugle for a walk in the woods. Thanks all ya'll!

My dad has a wall full of elk called in with a corrugated piece of 3/8" copper tubing...you'll be good man, just read the elk's reaction and don't be afraid to try. I've heard elk that sound like shit and gotten plenty to play when I was a kid with a power bugle and a lot to learn...

HookUp

WKR
Try a Phelps AMP diaphragm. Bar none the easiest diaphragm I have ever used and I have tried most of them.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself -- learning how to call with the season fast approaching. It is coming along faster than I would have expected.

Getting the hang of turkey calls took me much longer and I attribute a large part of that to simply not choking/gagging on diaphragm calls.
You said you've used turkey calls before so I think you'll get comfortable with this whole elk calling thing before season.

FlyGuy

WKR
Practice in the car. Your wife will get tired of that shit in about 60 seconds. If you've used turkey calls then you're half way there. You'll probably sound better than most of the real elk do.

Buy different diaphragms, reg, palette plate, dome and different sizes. Every palette is different, you need one to fit up into your palette. For some reason I can cow call with pretty much anyone, but can only bugle with a palette plate diaphragm.

Bum

Buy different diaphragms, reg, palette plate, dome and different sizes. Every palette is different, you need one to fit up into your palette. For some reason I can cow call with pretty much anyone, but can only bugle with a palette plate diaphragm.

Bum
For me, I can bugle with a palate plate call like the Raging bull but it needs to be further back in my mouth than a dome. It used to really frustrate me when I was switching between the two until I figured that out.

I have an elknut cd and I practice in the car(2 hours a day commute) I am sure people think I am wierd. Doesn't take long to get good at that rate. Now I just put it in on the way to CO and practice then.

That said, we rarely do anything but a locator bugle, and mostly cow call. By late season in CO they are pretty call shy, at least with bugles.

1signguy

WKR
It aint going to hurt to try! Most people dont learn that fast (IMO), but most people dont need to either. I bet you can get "good enough" (or same level as me 😁) if you put the practice in. I was able to pick up diaphrams without too much trouble, but only b/c i had spent time with turkey calls previously.

If you have trouble with diaphrams, those primos (terminator, maybe?) Tubes with the little blue plastic caps are by far the easiest to learn. I can only do a location bugle with the blue plastic though, i couldnt figure out how to chuckle with it, but it makes a clean, loud and super hugh pitch locator.

Learn a lesson from me: My first archery elk (otc) i walked for two days without seeing the first elk (all timber). At about 4pm on day two i was beat tired, frustrated and discouraged. It was time to begin working my way back towards my truck. Id been carrying that bugle around with me the whole time but had never once used it b/c i wasnt confident enough. Decided that since i was heading back anyway, what the hell and I gave it a rip. Wouldnt you know it a bull answered me from well under 200 yards! My very first time blowing on a bugle tube and i got a response from what turned out to be a very nice 6×6! I bet that happens less than .0001% of the time. He came in to a cow call. I didnt understand set ups at the time and put myself in a no win situation, but he was broadside at 83 yards for a few seconds (max range for me is 70). Anyway, that experience completely changed me. Since then i am a complete addict!

Had a similar experience on first elk hunt and the addiction took hold. I tell my wife she is lucky- it could be heroin or some other malady that goes year round and kills you. My addiction is only a couple months a year and keeps me healthy!

Never have been a diaphragm user- they just make me gag. The tubes have been effective for me...