Deception in the hunting community

ndbuck09

WKR
Ya I've heard that basically if you see a good sized stag trophy photo from a hunt in NZ, you can be sure it was a fence hunt(non hunt). I'm pretty sure I've heard that from Remi warren on the meateater podcast.

weatherbow, i don't think there's really any controversy with those guys and these alleged actions other than if they're true, it's a bit of a washout of the great hunting ethics that are probably practiced and preached by them here in the US.

JP100

WKR
Did I miss the story on the Hush guys?
YouTube

The main issue I have with 'pro hunters'/hunting celebrities(what ever you call them) is they are the face of hunting. Whether we like it or not people who promote hunting through TV,social media etc is what the non-hunter sees of hunting.
Lets say joe blogs who has never been hunting in his life sees the above video(or others that are the same) that is labeled as 'hunting' and thinks "is that what hunting is?" He is then pretty easily converted to being an 'anti' and then we have situations where grizzly bear hunting is banned because antis outnumber facts and science.

'Pro hunters' have the moral obligation to promote the best of our industry/sport. They are responsible for what everyone sees as 'hunting'.
High fence hunting will always be there, but I dont think it should be the image of hunting(in this country or any other.)

Hushin guys confuse me abit. I dont know much about them but it seems they promote good public land hunting in the US, yet when on holiday they do what is with out a doubt the worst thing you can do on public land in any country.

JP100

WKR
Ya I've heard that basically if you see a good sized stag trophy photo from a hunt in NZ, you can be sure it was a fence hunt(non hunt). I'm pretty sure I've heard that from Remi warren on the meateater podcast.

weatherbow, i don't think there's really any controversy with those guys and these alleged actions other than if they're true, it's a bit of a washout of the great hunting ethics that are probably practiced and preached by them here in the US.

The issue is what a 'decent' stag is has been contorted and twisted for the American market. Kiwis, Aussie and Europeans are familiar with Red deer and its pretty obvious to us(most of the time) what a stags origins is. I dont know why that have become the 'image' of red stags. No one looks at whitetail and sees a 500" pen job as a 'representative' of the species.

They are not alleged actions, they actually happened and it was filmed. Chamois Heli hunt/AATH - YouTube

IdahoElk

WKR
The issue is what a 'decent' stag is has been contorted and twisted for the American market. Kiwis, Aussie and Europeans are familiar with Red deer and its pretty obvious to us(most of the time) what a stags origins is. I dont know why that have become the 'image' of red stags. No one looks at whitetail and sees a 500" pen job as a 'representative' of the species.

They are not alleged actions, they actually happened and it was filmed. Chamois Heli hunt/AATH - YouTube

Why on earth would you put that footage on youtube?

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that is a pathetic excuse for a hunt. I'd put the blame more on the outfitter/pilot than the hunters and camera guys in this case though, they looked awfully surprised and how the hunt worked. Some crazy skills on flying though... its a cool video other than it certainly wasn't a hunt I'd be interested in.

JP100

WKR
I should add its not my video. They filmed it(Hushin) and it was on their face book,youtube etc. its was quickly removed but some one must have kept a copy.

Its easy to blame the hunter/client when as you say its the outfitter/guide that conducts the hunts. They do look a little confused but they have every right to say this isnt the hunt they wanted. Outfitters push these hunts on people because they can do a Tahr/Chamois "hunt" in under an hour. one guide can do 10 Tahr hunts a day this way and make $$$$$$$$$

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Flogging a dead horse here but i'd back up what JP said, last time I was in NZ visited a mates mates deer farm on the west coast. Watched a stag in a 10 acre paddock who was being picked up later that day by a prominent guide to be released for a U.S. client arriving the following day. From memory it sold for maybe $15k NZ, no idea what mark up the guide had on it though.

It is frustrating when you bust your nut hunting real wild deer, take a goodn and people shrug their shoulders because it's not what they've come to recognise as a "trophy" stag. I took a real heavy 11pt stag almost pushing 40" long last year, I'm as proud of him as any other deer ive taken after watching him grow out during velvet but to someone who's never seen a real red he probably wouldn't even class as a cull!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider

What the hell did I just watch? I saw 3 stooges basically put in as much effort as grabbing a big mac at the mall.

To be fair to them though, I could tell by the look in their eyes that this wasn't going to be a hunt that they were going to get a lot of thumbs up about. They kinda looked blind sided by how things were shaking down once they were up there.....or so we can only hope.

Last edited: