Deception in the hunting community

Let's face it there is a lot of deception in today's hunting world. Authors, Internet Heroes, and every day posters on many of the forums around the net love to make things sound tougher than things are and many times bury the real facts of the hunt. It can be hard for a new guy to really know what's real, and what's inflated. Normally such things don't bother me as I avoid worrying about others but I can't help but feel tainted after 1) an author I truly respected always but a 6 point rule on things, wrote magnificent stories only to find out he was on private land, and 2) another author always quoted OTC unit, public land, etc. who was always on the opposite side of changes to the ML season here in Colorado too was hunting on private land where ML season actually had a positive effect. I think in general, there are some truly talented elk hunters out there and that positive outweighs the negative. Have you seen this as of late?

Last edited:

Swede

WKR
The matter of trying to be a hero and making things seem tougher than they need to be is not helpful for those interested in getting started. No real hunter needs to think they will be expected to be a superman or superwoman. I will be 70 this next hunt, and even though I can't physically do what was possible at age 35, I am no less confident. I just hunt my hunt and not someone else's. I may not go as fast or as far as I once did, but have learned how to make the most of the opportunities the Lord has blessed me with.
Am I more of a hero if I get a bull in a bad hole somewhere? Am I less if I don't get a shot? Does it matter? I am competing against no one.

OP
C
One of these authorities has killed one elk since his his private land days yet is still featured as a "public land Guru" . He's since switched weapons of choice and as you know his reasons for doing so have nothing to do with the "real reason"

mavmskyb8

FNG
Really? There is no difference between all these hunting shows & reality tv. It's all about the $. And if you think that this site is any different, well, think again. Everything is revenue driven. Your Crispi boots that Aron wears. The Sitka gear. The First Lite gear. The Mathews bows. It's all about the $. And it doesn't matter if it's trout fishing, hog hunting, or 30 spf clothes. Everyone is selling something.
Cheers!

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know why everyone is being bashful. Hard to take complaints seriously if you're not dropping names.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
In a way I'm glad I no longer have the outdoor channel etc. I don't watch hunting shows on cable anymore I actually like to watch some of the stuff on youtube. Randy's work is A+ from the vids I've seen.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's not just recent TV stuff. My buddy and I still remember the days of Curt Gowdy's show and it would go something like this every time.....be it hunting or fishing: "We're out looking for the world record bull elk.........and there's one now!" Actually used to make me laugh just how "lucky" they were every single time out to find the exact critter they were looking for.

There's a reason the success rates are what they are, and even the 10% that kill 90% of the animals aren't generally killing 360"+ bulls every time out. There just aren't enough public land places for that kind of success without some sort of connections, lots of money, or a continuous unlimited supply of preference points. So take everything with a grain of salt. I'm naturally skeptical so that's easy for me.

rayporter

WKR
i for one have come to despise most of the tv hunting, and i just cannot believe some of the stuff that stays on the air. there are shows so bad i figure the host has to pay the tv to keep them on the air. rich boys playing.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
The instagram heroes are the entertaining ones to me..... one was literally signing autographs at a recent 3D shoot..

Many people have been able to take advantage of social media to get their claim to fame in the hunting industry. It's really watered down the integrity of hunting IMO and lost what the true meaning of hunting and conservation is. The Hush Life bros are a great example of this and feel like they have brought in this whole "bro" style of hunting with their flatbills🤢 and their following just comes off as super douche-bagish. I just feel like people want to get their name out for the wrong reasons. Everyone seems to want to be a star nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tejasbow

FNG
Obviously there is a line that should not be crossed and those that pimp products merely because they pay them to do so and do not believe in the products are a sham.

But to beat on anyone in the "industry" actually making money and working is bogus.

Now to the OP drop the balls and drop a name. Call a spade a spade. If it's worth talking about talk about it. If it ain't don't bring it up.

KHNC

WKR
i for one have come to despise most of the tv hunting, and i just cannot believe some of the stuff that stays on the air. there are shows so bad i figure the host has to pay the tv to keep them on the air. rich boys playing.
All hunting shows have to pay the network to be on it.