Best book to take backcountry elk hunting?

DEHusker

WKR
"Undaunted Courage" - Stephen Ambrose. Take it on phone/kindle as it's a pretty big book. You want adventure, good hunting stories, adversity, near death experiences???...you got it. Highly recommended for any western adventurer. This is the book that made me realize I was born about 200 years too late....

DEHusker

WKR
Oh yeah, forgot to add TJ Conrad's book "Campfire Reflections" for all you trad bowhunters out there...or for any bowhunters. Its a great read too.

"Bowhunting Modern Elk" by petersons and Patrick Mieten is awesome. He gives good perspective on what bowhunting was like in the "good old days" with older equipment etc before he digs into the technical side. Great book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
My family members that introduced my to hunting have a tradition of packing in a few Louis L'Amour westerns to elk camp. They are fun, easy reads and great for the mid-day lull while sitting a wallow. When everyone finished theirs after about 2-3 days we would trade and start on a new one.

This is a great idea. I may buy one book for all in camp.

The most basic kindle is only 5.7 oz which is half the weight of most paperbacks and 1/4 of the size. I would go with the Kindle and then you have options to read anything you want.

If you have a kindle you can also get the app for your phone and just use your andriod/iphone. No it isn't as awesome to read on as a kindle but I am usually pretty tired and don't read too long. Also I can put a few shows or movies on it so I have something to watch if I get rained in or really tired one day.

Rogue541

WKR
Bowhunting modern Elk by Patrick Meiten was pretty good. Lots of pictures too! Haha

AndyJ

FNG
I like books about survival and suffering when I go on hunts. When you read about guys surviving in the toughest conditions, it really puts your situation in perspective when you are just a little wet. Two books I really love are "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer and "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing.

What a great set of authors and titles! I can't wait to pick up a few of these.

I always seem to take two books along on any trip.

The first is a fun read, I'd recommend Dies the Fire by S.M. sterling, takes place in Idaho and Oregon, oh and the lights go out for good.

The other was passed down by my Grandfather. A small pocket addition New Testament. Can't go wrong with the good book when your looking over God's country.

Another vote for the Kindle whether on a phone app or actual reader. Hard to beat some Pat McManus humor to lighten the mood!

"Undaunted Courage" - Stephen Ambrose. Take it on phone/kindle as it's a pretty big book. You want adventure, good hunting stories, adversity, near death experiences???...you got it. Highly recommended for any western adventurer. This is the book that made me realize I was born about 200 years too late....

Second this. One of my all time favorites. Just a great read. Ambrose knew how to write. He also did Band of Brothers, which I haven't read, but it's arguably one of the best war series ever

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04