Best book to take backcountry elk hunting?

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Going on a backcountry elk hunt and everything will be on my back. We are hiking in 8 +\- miles and setting a camp. I figured I can afford a little extra weight so I'd bring a good book. I'm all about DIY hunting public lands.

What have y'all been reading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on a backcountry elk hunt and everything will be on my back. We are hiking in 8 +\- miles and setting a camp. I figured I can afford a little extra weight so I'd bring a good book. I'm all about DIY hunting public lands.

What have y'all been reading?

I've been reading Monty Brownings book "Bowhunting: A Passion for for Life." It's a great book about his hunting trips all over the world including elk out west. Way too big a book for carrying on a backpacking trip though. I'd recommend using the kindle app on your phone to cut down on weight. Teddy Roosevelt's book "hunting the grisly and other sketches" is really good and it's free on the kindle

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CJ Box is one of my favorite authors. His Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game Warden are great!

If I were you I would not bring a book. The days are long and the hunting is tough. By the time you get back to camp, cook, eat, and finish camp chores you wont even have a full nights rest ahead of you before its time to lace up boots and do it over again.

If you're set on bringing a book, I recommend A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would not bring a book. The days are long and the hunting is tough. By the time you get back to camp, cook, eat, and finish camp chores you wont even have a full nights rest ahead of you before its time to lace up boots and do it over again.

It won't be for the end of the day. It's more for the mid afternoon lull. My hope is that itself will be going nuts and I'll be no time to take breaks!

mvmnts

WKR
When I go backpacking, I like to bring something fun and pulpy, something totally different than what it is I'm doing. I can't really get into serious stuff when I'm in the field. Usually I am bored or homesick or lonely and I need an escape. YMMV.

ericF

WKR
The most basic kindle is only 5.7 oz which is half the weight of most paperbacks and 1/4 of the size. I would go with the Kindle and then you have options to read anything you want.

My family members that introduced my to hunting have a tradition of packing in a few Louis L'Amour westerns to elk camp. They are fun, easy reads and great for the mid-day lull while sitting a wallow. When everyone finished theirs after about 2-3 days we would trade and start on a new one.

If you're set on bringing a book, I recommend A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.

Another vote for Leopold.

Another vote for Sand County Almanac

I hated S.C.A. the first time I read it (1999); now I consider it one of the most influential books I've ever read. He was a man waaaay ahead of his time. That book was probably the first time someone articulated the importance of predators and predation in regulating ecosystems. I do love that a bunch of elk hunters are reading a book that is famous for highlighting why killing wolves are good. Here's a link to one of the most famous chapters, if anyone is interested in a read: http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/AppalFor/Readings/leopold.pdf

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Across the Wide Missouri - Bernard Devoto

Brilliant writer, pulls no punches. Devotes the better part of a chapter on what it was like for a mountain man to take an indian wife! Only problem with it was I had to have my dictionary app opened on my phone anytime I was reading it.

I just picked up, "Hunting With The Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope. I've heard a lot of good things so I plan to take it with me.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
CJ Box is one of my favorite authors. His Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game Warden are great!

Just looked into this one and looks to be a very well liked series. Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.

I also agree on checking out A Sand County Almanac.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Based off votes along, I had to order A Sand County Almanac. I may read it before the season starts though.

Vids

WKR
Like stated above, I like something funny and light when I'm backcountry hunting. Hunting all day long will wear you down mentally, especially if you're not seeing anything. On my goat hunt I read one of Adam Carolla's books and it was great to lighten my mood just by getting a few laughs. Anything by a comedian would be good.

I'm sure the books on this thread are good too, they've given me some ideas for books to order for this winter.