2016 New Mexico Rifle Elk Hunt: Day-by-day story

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Many of you many followed our day-by-day archery elk hunt with Corey Jacobsen, so I figured I would post the day-by-day account of this rifle hunt even though some may have watched this episode on Sportsman Channel earlier this month. This day-by-day version is much longer than you saw on TV. Unfortunately, a lot of the footage is not what we would like, as the wind was hammering the tripods and making for a lot of unstabilize footage, along with some terrible audio.

It is a rifle elk hunt in central New Mexico with Tim Lesser, VP of Product Development at Leupold. This is Tim's second hunt with us. Two years ago he shot a really nice Montana mule deer in some brutal cold conditions.

This is the scouting day. Not sure what it is about Tim, but he always brings some sort of strange weather condition. Two years ago it was one of the coldest November hunts I've had in a long time. On this hunt, it is a week of crazy winds that pushed all the elk down into the canyons where the winds were much less. As a result of the footage being compromised by wind, this day-by-day hunt will not be as long as some others.

This hunt was on a unit-wide landowner voucher that allows Tim to hunt the entire unit; with the unit-wide option being something necessary for our public land premise. Tim applied and did not draw. I say this, as I know vouchers are controversial to some and I put it out there so nobody thinks we are hiding anything. Part of TV and sponsorship, at least for us, is that many of the partners like to send one of their staff on a hunt to see how we use their gear. Tim is usually the person Leupold sends, where he takes notes as to how Tyler Johnerson (cameraman and hunting badass) and I use their gear. The instruction from Leupold is always, "Take us on hunts that are most demanding of you and equipment." OK, coming right up. To accommodate that, we always apply for tags in the drawings and if not drawn we arrange a backup plan in the form of a unit-wide voucher in a state that allows us to hunt public lands on that tag.

The time frame for this hunt was October 15-19. The bulls were in a post-rut pattern, with the younger bulls still chasing cows and the old bulls headed for the sanctuaries in the many ugly places of this unit.

On a side note, the Forest Service often takes a hit for many things. In this instance, they permitted us for a Wilderness Area, something that is hard to do. They enjoy our message and want more promotion of backcountry hunting as one of the values Wilderness Areas provide. I want to thank that District for seeing the value of that message and working as hard as they have to permit us for the Wilderness Area. This is a tough piece of country, burned heavily and terrible to negotiate. Not a place for the fair weather elk hunter.

Day 1- Window Shopping

[video=youtube_share;M547qtWQ8hE]https://youtu.be/M547qtWQ8hE[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 2, Opening day, is at the link below:

[video=youtube_share;ntHUYcjamXI]https://youtu.be/ntHUYcjamXI[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
My goodness, Randy. You're spoiling us with this new "real footage" format. Keep it up, I love it.

Glad folks like it. We didn't film any of it with the intent to do day-by-day, so some of it is not as detailed as I intend to shoot this season. We head out on the road in a couple weeks and every day will be filmed with the intent that it will end up being used in a day-by-day format. I suspect we will get better at it as we progress.

Thanks for watching.

Fitzwho

WKR
Be following this one for sure since I have a NM Unit 37 rifle Elk tag this fall. From what I've been told, it's apparently a much less densely populated unit than whichever one you guys are hunting in these videos.

Dameon

WKR
This day by day format is awesome and I appreciate all the hard work you, your crew, and sponsors have put into sharing your wealth of knowledge with us. Its always great to see a guy triumph and tag out, but showing us your mistakes and how we can avoid them or learn from them is more helpful to me than the kill shot.

The weekly QA live streams on Facebook are helpful as well and it's great that your sponsors are supporting you so well with that venture. I'm looking forward to your live streams from the field. Good luck this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
I completely agree with what has been said so far. These day-by-day videos are great and I really enjoy them more than the "final production" videos. I can't wait to see how the ones from 2017 end up!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Glad folks like it. We didn't film any of it with the intent to do day-by-day, so some of it is not as detailed as I intend to shoot this season. We head out on the road in a couple weeks and every day will be filmed with the intent that it will end up being used in a day-by-day format. I suspect we will get better at it as we progress.

Thanks for watching.

Don't polish it up too much........then we may not like it.:D

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 3: This is turning out to be another one of "those hunts."

[video=youtube_share;h4--U5i5_gY]https://youtu.be/h4--U5i5_gY[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 4: All Good Things Must End.

[video=youtube_share;Cs0eKcxpDPc]https://youtu.be/Cs0eKcxpDPc[/video]

DEHusker

WKR
Doh! Why did you have to put up the pics of the bull on the lead YouTube image....now I know what happens...LOL!

Hey Randy, I don't know about other's thoughts on this but TV distorts things quite a bit as far as distances, etc. It would be super cool if at the end of each video you'd just give us a rundown of stuff like caliber used, shot distance, stalk distance, equipment used, that sort of stuff. I'm always curious about that stuff just to see how others do things and what stuff they use. I like how you guys mentioned the 400 yard shot. It looked like a pretty tough shot...

DEH

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Doh! Why did you have to put up the pics of the bull on the lead YouTube image....now I know what happens...LOL!

Hey Randy, I don't know about other's thoughts on this but TV distorts things quite a bit as far as distances, etc. It would be super cool if at the end of each video you'd just give us a rundown of stuff like caliber used, shot distance, stalk distance, equipment used, that sort of stuff. I'm always curious about that stuff just to see how others do things and what stuff they use. I like how you guys mentioned the 400 yard shot. It looked like a pretty tough shot...

DEH

Thanks for that feedback. Let me think about how we can put that into each day. Gonna take some thought and work on our part.

bccrover

FNG
Loving the day by day format. Starting with your hunt with Cory it really hit home. Made the struggle more real. Appreciate the content and the timing. Ramp up to archery opener is underway!

DEHusker

WKR
Thanks for that feedback. Let me think about how we can put that into each day. Gonna take some thought and work on our part.

Maybe not each day, maybe just at the conclusion of the hunt or the "post hunt" discussion timeframe during pics and stuff. Every day might get a little tedious. Thanks again for your effort to get us some great footage!

DEH