Run and Gun Calling

Who, like Randy Newburg, likes to focus on covering a lot of ground in the rut to find bulls that are hot?

Do you bugle mostly from ridges or dropping into basins/canyons? I think that ridge calling allows you to cover the most ground but can be a bit too far from elk locations to draw responses.

Do you incorporate some spot and stalk during prime times also? I like to have some nice vantage points to glass, even if it's a short time, so all my eggs aren't in the calling basket. I'm thinking about doing more run-and-gun though. Randy Newburg on his q and a said he mostly doesn't worry about glassing during the archery season.

Thanks for your thoughts.

elkyinzer

WKR
Me. For one, it's just how I enjoy hunting. I have only hunted thick timber where this shines as far as productivity. I also find the notion of sitting behind glass for hours at a time incredibly boring, and that's coming from a hardcore treestand hunter when back home. I've found some spots that treestands/hides would be HIGHLY effective, but it's just not how I want to hunt elk. It's the journey, not the destination type thing.

I usually don't bugle from ridges. To me it's too unnatural, I want bulls to think I am an elk. I'll stop and listen from ridges, and that has worked well and got me on most bulls I've worked, just letting them give themselves up then moving in for a calling setup. If I am passing through an area that is elky and I have the wind right, I let one rip and have got a few to answer that way.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I like to cover ground jumping from timber patch to timber patch after 10 am and throwing out a few cow calls. Bulls will bugle back from the bed then I go straight at them.. I have found that mid day bulls will literally come in to me once I get close with the cow call. They come in to collect the cow. I do this pre rut first two weeks of sept but use a super raspy estrusy type call. I had good experiences doing this. Elk nuts videos on you tube are legit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
Where I hunt, I have found that running does not lead to gunning. Running and calling lead to elk on the ranch behind "No Hunting" signs. Hunting is best adapted to the area you go to, or you move if you insist on one particular style of chase.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cover ground up high early not necesarily on ridge tops to hear as far as you can, then start through pockets if no response or something to pursue throwing out various calls raking splashing wallows..I don't typically pack binos in this brush country and have seldom regretted it. I'm always looking for bulls that want to play🤙

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've watched Randy hunt, and we hunt a little differently. I'm more like Corey from what I've seen of him hunting but possibly even more aggressive than he is. I'm more of a call and run hunter. As soon as I get a response I'm on the run and doing several things at the same time. Checking the wind, deciphering whether the bull is alone or cowed up, and formulating distance, his mood, and his likely response or where he'll go.

But before I get that response, yes........I'll cover a lot of ground if needed to find a cooperative bull that wants to play.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Listen to what Ross has to say! I know lots of big names elk hunters. Damn few are on Ross's level. I don't care if your talking elk calling or elk knowledge. He's just to damn humble!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk