Western WY during Region G rifle?

nickstone

WKR
Does anybody have experience hunting western wyoming units that are open during the same time the Mule deer rifle season opens in Unit G? I've heard conflicting reports about the amount of rifle hunters in the area during archery elk season.
I have a GEN tag and also aleftover tag and also have the opportunity to take all 30 days of Sept off work. I am trying to 3 different areas of the state to split my time between.

Thanks, Nick

Last edited:
Lots of rifle hunters, lots of elk, and lots of screaming bulls. I don't know what the deal is with opening day of rifle deer (September 15th) but the elk seem to go absolutely nuts after getting stirred up a little by people. I've called in some nice bulls while glassing for deer from ridgetops.

I live in Alpine and also have a general and a 90 type 6. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a very specific spot that you'll have a great chance at harvesting either or both sexes, if you want to put in a bit of work.

mossyhorn

FNG
I'm going to be solo archery hunting I n 90 and 89 this year and decided to try later in the season. Curious how the rifle deer hunters will affect things as well. I've heard they are higher up and not a big impact on the elk? We'll see? I've done early there twice and been skunked both times. Hopefully third times a charm! Good luck!

Cornbore

FNG
When I had my moose tag a few years ago I hunted before and after deer opened. Not much difference and of course I saw elk near and far from the road.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I saw quite a few elk last year while moose hunting in Region G at the end of September/beginning of October. The deer hunters, for the most part, were not hunting where I saw elk. I don’t think the deer season will bother your elk hunt.

sasquatch

WKR
Lots of rifle hunters, lots of elk, and lots of screaming bulls. I don't know what the deal is with opening day of rifle deer (September 15th) but the elk seem to go absolutely nuts after getting stirred up a little by people. I've called in some nice bulls while glassing for deer from ridgetops.

I live in Alpine and also have a general and a 90 type 6. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a very specific spot that you'll have a great chance at harvesting either or both sexes, if you want to put in a bit of work.

So jealous of where you live!!! Lol

Love that little town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk