Life goes on...

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
For the past year my buddy Billy and I were planning our first trip out West to archery Elk hunt in unit 66 Idaho. We have been looking over maps, watching ELK nut DVDs, buying up gear, shooting the bows, just getting prepared and counting down the days. This past Sunday we went for a training hike and were having blast when we came up to our final peak to take a break, Bill started to complain that his vision was getting blurry and he was seeing red, he laid down and never got back up. For the next 47 minutes I was on the call with 911 performing CPR trying to keep him alive, we were hiking what is considered remote by NY/NJ standards, just 1.5 miles away from the parking lot, needless to say by the time the medics showed up it was to late.

Billy was a one of a kind person, he truly put his friends and family ahead of himself, he was the most selfless person I have ever know. He left us doing what he wanted to do, I guess he was blessed in that regard, if only we could all be so lucky.

This event has really started to mess with my head. Initially I was planning to go solo, everyone thought I was a nut for even thinking about it. In my head I had no doubt in my mind, that I could make this trip and out of now where Billy who never hunted before said he would love to go. At first I was a little taken back by it since he never expressed any interest in hunting before, let alone backpack hunting, he was my first mate on many big game fishing adventures, we killed a boat load of giant tuna of the years and I knew he was a mental monster when it came to toughing it out it the worst conditions. So I said shit yea, would love to have you along. All of our planning was to drive out and pack the meat back it coolers, those plans have now changed. I am working through booking my airline tickets and car rental as I don't think I can do the drive myself, and with the cost of driving out, I'm saving a couple of dollars and loosing a bunch of time. I need to refocus a portion of my digital scouting as now I don't feel its in my best intrest to be so far off solo and try to do a pack out.

I will figure it out, I have called a couple of meat processors in the area and kind of have a plan as to how I am going to bring back any meat. I am just having a hard time actually booking the tickets, I feel like I lost a piece of my will to go, but deep inside I know I need to do this.

If anyone can help with some advice on a reliable processor in unit 66 area or anything along the way down into the Salt Lake City area would be great. I figure I will be only able to really bring back 150 -200 lbs of meat with me on the flight and the rest will have to donate to a food bank.

Thanks again, will keep you posted to the hunt.

Tom

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry for Billy and his family. And very sorry you had to experience that. Prayers for all.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow, what a story. My hunting partner and I have been doing it together for 35 years. I can't imagine a day where one of us goes alone. prayers to you. Solo is usually something to ease into to see if it is for you. Maybe there is a Slider out there you could tie in with this year for overall moral and physical support. Good Luck and be safe.

Jon Boy

WKR
Very sorry to hear tommy. I say go for it but don't put too much pressure on yourself for success. Just enjoy your time in the Mtns and remember Billy.

WKR
I'm a flight Medic by trade, believe me when I tell you that you did everything you could for your friend and more than most people would have. Your friend sounds like the kind of guy who would, even in death, be more worried about you missing out on your trip than anything.
You're right, you have to go. Even if it's just to walk around in the woods and talk to your buddy a little.

The dying part doesn't mean much without the living. It's all the living we can pack in to our short time here that counts.

RIP

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Tom, so sorry to hear of the loss of a great friend. My prayers are with you and billy's family. In what you said I feel confident in that Billy would want you to go, no matter the heart ache it may lead to. You have some fond memories of those days spent together. There are more to come because Billy is still sharing them. Live the experience and he will too.

elkduds

WKR
Condolences, you are a great friend. Likely Billy would have chosen you as his last companion if he knew what was coming.

Tejasbow

FNG
My condolences. You're doing the right thing by going alone your friend sounds like anyone of us and we'd want our hunting partner to go and give it hell.

Prayers up for you and all the families lose.

Becareful and good luck

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
It's really tough when family and friends pass, especially when they are young. It's all about living, go for it I'm sure Billy would want you to. I know I would want my family and friends to remember me, but to live.

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
Very sorry for your loss. Being alone in the wilderness can be an intensely emotional experience. Just be prepared to deal with lots of ups and downs.
My Dad was diagnosed with brain cancer over a year ago and when I went to Colorado last September I thought I had come to terms with his diagnosis but something about the wilderness strips away all your ego and defense mechanisms and I had some real emotional moments that I wasn't expecting and effected my trip.

Tommy, sorry for the loss of your hunting partner.
I can't help you in idaho but if you want to use a processor in Ogden (40 min north) of SLC I have one I'd recommend and be happy to help with what I could.
Just pm me when you have the details figured out.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Very sorry to hear you had to endure that. Not a whole lot that I can say other than at least he died with his boots on and next to his buddy. He would have wanted you to go hunting so go and he'll be there with ya.

Randy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the loss, can't even imagine. A sad story but a reality check for all of us, do what makes you happy as you never know when our time is up. Good luck this season.

Finch

WKR
Sorry for your loss! Good luck on your hunt. Time to reflect will be a good thing. Keep your head up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
sorry for you and his family, as others said hate you had to go through that, I would say if you go solo do the best you can but don't try to do more than your capable of, good luck and be careful,

Whip

WKR
So sorry for what you are going through with the loss of your friend. I agree with the others though - there is no finer tribute you could give to Billy than to continue the trip and dedicate it to him. It will be so special no matter what the hunting is like. He would be so proud to be along with you, even if he's only in your mind.

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks you all for your support and PMs!!

I spent the weekend thinking the trip over and after speaking with my wife and Bills family, I made up my mind and booked the flight.

I have to say that after i clicked confirm I felt a rush of excitement, counting down the days!!!!!!

Thank you all again!

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Tommy, Wow, stunned absolutely stunned by the loss of your friend. My heart goes out to you, and the rest of Billys loved ones. So glad you are doing the hunt. Please by all means post up your hunt story and some pictures.

ElkNut1

WKR
Tommy, I'm stunned! What a story & real life issue to deal with out of nowhere! It's like a movie script. So sorry for your loss sir! Keep your chin up & stay positive, time is a great healer!

ElkNut/Paul