Elk From Space.....

A quick check of Google Earth this morning revealed new images, from late June of 2017, of a favorite location. I took a quick look to see if I could judge residual snow levels and guess at early summer moisture conditions. And to my surprise I saw three elk on the edge of a meadow that I like to hunt around. Well that sucked me down the black hole and I lost 30 minutes before I could push away from the monitor. I found 27 elk in the new images.

Don't forget to check for new imagery of your favorite locations - the eye(s) in space are always watching.....

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Haha I can't help but hope I see elk while google scouting. I havnt had any luck.

Where's that spot so I can see what they look like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
So did you just happen to know that herd was there from exactly 6 years ago from today's date?
Yeah I always know where they were, just hard to find them on the day I'm looking for them. :)

No I have had that saved on my Google Earth for quite a few years. Can't remember how I found it. I haven't ever been in that area. I hope I didn't throw someone's honey hole out on the internet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Don't forget to check for new imagery of your favorite locations - the eye(s) in space are always watching.....[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know how often they update the imagery? Is it every year or more often?

Finch

WKR
Yeah I always know where they were, just hard to find them on the day I'm looking for them. :)

No I have had that saved on my Google Earth for quite a few years. Can't remember how I found it. I haven't ever been in that area. I hope I didn't throw someone's honey hole out on the internet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Haha, mine now!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
Don't forget to check for new imagery of your favorite locations - the eye(s) in space are always watching.....

Do you happen to know how often they update the imagery? Is it every year or more often?[/QUOTE]I checked out an area I plan on hunting south of Steamboat Springs and its latest update was June last year. Am I missing something or I guess they don't update everything at the same time?

Am I missing something or I guess they don't update everything at the same time?

They don't update all areas at the same time. Not sure what there schedule is... I've seen areas that have new imagery every 3-4 months, and other areas where it is 3-4 years old.

One possible reason is they might wait until they have a large expanse of cloudless imagery to make it worthwhile. I would not be surprised if they also have commercial customers that might drive the update frequency in certain areas.

OP
A
I'm not sure what the GE update criteria are. Some of these places schedule their own images for more populated places and some try to acquire fairly recent for as cheap as they can. I see a lot of the rural areas on GE with imagery from NASA, USDA, USGS NAIP, etc... All of these programs have their own schedule for updates and it seems GE will acquire the newest images that meet standards when they are available. That's why I check often for areas that I frequent because I'll often find a surprise update every year or two.

The elk I saw today are not in the images from July '09, Oct '11, June '13, or June '14. Glad they updated in July this year - maybe I'll get an elk there finally.

Finch

WKR
I'm not sure what the GE update criteria are. Some of these places schedule their own images for more populated places and some try to acquire fairly recent for as cheap as they can. I see a lot of the rural areas on GE with imagery from NASA, USDA, USGS NAIP, etc... All of these programs have their own schedule for updates and it seems GE will acquire the newest images that meet standards when they are available. That's why I check often for areas that I frequent because I'll often find a surprise update every year or two.

The elk I saw today are not in the images from July '09, Oct '11, June '13, or June '14. Glad they updated in July this year - maybe I'll get an elk there finally.
Makes sense.

When are you heading out? My buddy and I will be back in CO the 2nd week of archery. Hope you're doing well. We'll have to make another hike to McAfee' s one day.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Are you guys using a laptop? I can't come close to seeing detail zoomed in on my phone. Don't see a time slider either

OP
A
Hey Finch, Glad to see that you're getting out after them again. Best of luck in CO.
I'm headed out last of the month to arrive Labor Day weekend. I have not been hiking near as much as I need to. Fitness crashed about 6 weeks ago with a heavy schedule and the summer heat. I hope you have been staying the course.

I'm lookin' at GE on an18" screen. I swear I can put antlers on one of the elk I saw. That's my story anyway.....

Finch

WKR
I've been hiking the hills around my house but definitely not as gung-ho as I was a couple years back. I feel ready though. Good luck to you as well!

garrete

FNG

Do you happen to know how often they update the imagery? Is it every year or more often?[/QUOTE]

Depends when the satellite flies over. If I recall correctly different government agencies have to share/beg for satellite time for research and such. At least that's what a guy who used to work for noaa told me once upon a time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's funny, I was looking at one area a couple years ago and I guess they weren't quite finished with their updates, as there was a distinct line across the screen with half being winter and half summer. I don't care for the winter pics.