Ball Cap

Headed out to CO for my first backcountry DIY elk hunt in September for Archery.

I have all my gear nailed down except for a ball cap. I sweat A LOT and need something that is somewhat breathable and comfortable.

for cold days i have the brimmed beanie from First Lite in ASAT.

for a ball cap camo pattern is not a deal breaker, I am more focused on comfort and breathability to help with sweat!

Any veterans have suggestoins?

xcutter

WKR
I'm a fan of the Sitka hats. They are made of the same material they use for the Ascent pants. I also like a trucker hat. Mesh in the back of the hat. Those help. You can pick up a trucker hat style at Walmart in the hunting section for probably $10.

I go with a full brim hat. Essential to me in high elevation, especially in the Southwest. Keeps the sun and drizzle off your face and back of your neck.
I don't have any particular ones to recommend, Outdoor Research makes a quick-dry version that's very crushable, but it's not camouflage. You could camo it up yourself though.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Oakley SI Cap in coyote or olive would work for you. I have a coyote one; light, breathable, dries pretty fast. I too sweat a lot and that and a boonie hat are me go to for hunting; where the ball cap when hiking and sweating a lot, boonie when sitting or stalking.

Hunter6

WKR
I just got this hat and wore it on my early season cow hunt where the temps got up to 100. It's made from 100% polyester so it drys fast. I really liked it.
Lo Pro Hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Sitka ones mentioned above even better than the mesh backed caps I always used. I wear tan ones for work on days it's to windy to wear a cowboy hat summer and winter. The Kuiu hats don't seem any more breathable but are nice too. I think my Sitka ones breath as well as even the mesh Kuiu one I have, I wear it on conditioning hikes now.

Squirrels

WKR
Campfire has the fitted mesh back sitkas often. Thumbs up. OR has a Helios in multicam if you want a full brimmed quick dry hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Get a solid profit mesh cap off Amazon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU Icon Cap is the bomb. It dries super quickly. I will completely soak the cap in sweat when I do my backpack workouts. It dries quickly and doesn't hold a lot of scent. I liked them so much when they went on sale I bought 3.

cnelk

WKR
I love my old 'lily pad' hat

It has a string on it so I can tip it off and let it hang on my back when it gets hot
This hat has seen a lot of elk killed :)

Attachments

• lily pad hat.jpg
    lily pad hat.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 106
  • lily pad hat2.jpg
    lily pad hat2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 89

kickemall

WKR
Sitka if you have to have a ball cap, Kuiu Boonie is the best all around I've found.

Squirrels

WKR
The Sitka stretch fits are on Camofire right now for 11.50 plus shipping which was 2.86 to my zip. That's pretty cheap

KUIU Icon cap is cool but i hate the way it lays on my head. Honestly the elk don't care. I really just kind of grab whatever I have available as long as it isn't just white. My favorite was lost in the lake this summer, a freebie from G5 I got when I bought my Alloy a few years ago. I have a couple underarmor ones that are pretty breathable.