Walking in the river to my hunting spot

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Question for the forums. I have spent a few days over the last weekends scouting my area for over the counter archery elk coming up. I hunt a unit which is foot/horse traffic only. I have seen quite a few bulls and cows on my scouting trips, but they are always on the hardest steepest side of a particular valley I plan to spend time in. I got to the side of the mountain once but made extreme noise in the process. The problem is a high to low approach is out of the question due to private boardering public. The valley floor is a 6 in stream all the way through it. To even get to the spot for scouting is a heavy walk through 10-15 foot thick buck brush. The question is if any of you have ever simply walked in the water to your spot, and if so how did it work out for you? Did the stream cover your scent and noise?Is there another way to work through very thick thorny buck brush I am not aware of? I'm a 5th gen Colorado native and have harvested my share of most Colorado species, but the area has really changed since last year due to heavy rain. Thanks for the input of walking the stream to my spot!!!

My hunting spot in OK is similar to western hunting. To get to the heart of the woods I use the creek (mostly boulders and river rock, mostly dry). The rock seems to cover scent better than a trek through the grass or brush. It is very quiet relatively speaking. There are several "bottoms up" approach spots that the elk love and this creek leads right to it.

Use the creek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
I would think that it would be way too cold. I remember daily crossings of a small-to-medium sized river when I was working on a trail crew in Northern Idaho. Just about knee deep. Halfway through I was gritting my teeth from the cold. Crossing lasted maybe 2 minutes. Worst thing to wake up to! Unless you're mostly rock-hopping, it's something to consider. Definitely try it out first so you're not surprised when it's go-time.

Btaylor

WKR
Works great in whitetail country don't know why it wouldn't out there. Grab a cheap pair of hip boots and strap your hunting boots to the pack to change into. I am bringing a pair with me for very similar reasons.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Works great in whitetail country don't know why it wouldn't out there. Grab a cheap pair of hip boots and strap your hunting boots to the pack to change into. I am bringing a pair with me for very similar reasons.

Agree with this. If you think you may have to get deeper just buy a used pair of chest waders and some patches on the cheap. I use waders and just hang them in a tree after I cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the input from you all! I think chest waiters will be way too much coverage. Every place I have stepped in the stream it has barely come to mid boot, so 6-7 inches max. I have a pair of rubber knee high boots I bought for a moose hunt with my dad a few years ago.....I think they should be plenty at 1500 grams insulation for the cold. Wonder if I could get lucky and find a watering elk on the way up the stream!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would check it out before hand but this is something I do routinely throughout season. In September when warm I don't worry about wet feet and just go for it🤙