Do I really need a spotting scope?

I'm preparing for 1st season backcountry elk rifle hunt in Colorado. I have a lower end Redfield spotting scope and 10-42 Leupold binos. Given the weight of the spotting scope, is it really worth taking it? Thanks!

KMT

WKR
It's all personal preference. I have never used one and don't plan on using one in the future.

I started a long winded if then response. Alas I deleted it and am now giving you this answer. I think that since this is your first back country hunt, I say take it. You can always drop the tripod to safe weight. It is less stable but you can use trekking poles or a branch or lay prone and use your pack most of the time. Glass (even poor glass) can save some walking if you can see an animal isn't worth the time or in a spot that you know you can't get into with the wind etc. Treat it like the lottery, anything you can do to make you better in the field, Do it.

JWP58

WKR
I think it depends highly on when you're hunting, and where. During the rut in dark timber, no. Late season, trying to locate lone bulls where glassing is conducive, yep.

Or just run your binos on a tripod. You won't be able to judge a bull well at longer range, but you'll still probably be able to see them.

I agree with JWP58. It all depends on the type of area you are hunting. If it is glassing friendly, then the spotting scope will be worth its weight in gold. If it is a ton of dark timber and you'll be still hunting, then there is no reason to lug the spotting scope and tripod around. If you have been to the area before then it should be an easy decision. If not, google earth will give you a decent idea. You could always keep it in the truck and go back for it later as well. Good luck on your elk hunt!

UtahJimmy

WKR
Or just run your binos on a tripod. You won't be able to judge a bull well at longer range, but you'll still probably be able to see them.

^This, unless you are holding out for a special bull. And if that is the case, I'd invest in a much better spotter.

Personally I've never used a spotter on an elk hunt. Their big enough critters that you can see them a ways off!

BrianID

FNG
It is just your preference that matters. I would say it is not worth the weight but that is me.
If you will shoot the first legal bull you come across then it is even less worth the weight. If you plan on looking over multiple bulls during your hunt and trying to judge antler size then a spotting scope is more useful.

Swede

WKR
A spotting scope is not necessary. Depending on how and where you are hunting, a good one can give you an advantage over binoculars, but a cheap spotting scope is not worth the effort in my opinion.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Get the best 12x or 15x binos you can afford and put them on a tripod. Works good for coues, should work good for everything else.

2five7

WKR
If you are going to be very selective in trophy size then bring the best spotter you own. If you're just trying to kill and elk, just take your binos!

hobbes

WKR
Unless you are hunting big open country or looking for something specific, I say no. 10 x 42's are all you'll need for elk. You can tell if an elk is a bull from a long way with a good pair of 10 x 42's. Bulls will still be hanging around the cows in many cases during 1st rifle, so you'll just be looking for elk. I don't think the Redfield would be much benefit. I wouldn't even worry about a tripod. Sit on your butt, brace your elbows on your knees, and clamp your hat bill to your binos with your hands.

Huntingpreacher, I've got a tripod set up that will work perfectly for you. It's a Sirui T-005x. Lightweight, compact, and less than $100. New condition and partner and I were planning to use it for my 10x42 binos and his 65mm spotter. Plans have changed and I am getting ready to throw it up in the classifieds. If you need a bino adapter I have a couple of different Vortex models to choose from. Here's a pic for reference. Will be home tomorrow from the fire station to send actual pics of the items. Shoot me a pm if you're interested. Bill

molon labe, mrbill

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1502421363.999840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1502421363.999840.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 73
I should add that I have a redfield rampage shotter and have glassed up elk at 4 and a half miles. I've judged bulls from 2 miles away also. They aren't the vortex glass that I am eyeing but they're decent. I have some nice 10x42 binos but the extra distance helps, if it's big country as someone mentioned.

Some use a spotter just to judge bull size but I like glassing with it also.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted by some unless you are looking for a certain sized bull I would leave the spotter at home your glass would be plenty.