Buying Tags

lugi06

FNG
Random question, but do you guys order your tags online and have them mailed or do you prefer to buy them once you get in state. I am asking in reference to Colorado OTC archery.

If you purchase online, how long does it take to come in?

I always have them mailed. I don't like to stop, and typically come through the areas I could buy them at inopportune times..i.e. Middle of the night.

I don't remember on timing.... I think two weeks as mentioned was about right.

Kind of used to get spoiled. Grew up in SD and would do them online. I don't know how they got them out so fast but would usually have them in 2 days.

In OK, we can print our own.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Do not lollygag on buying tags.

FWIW, I believe that you'll be able to print your own Colo tags next year. Welcome to the internet Colorado.

peddar01

FNG
We buy in state. Always seem to need something from Walmart before we hit camp anyway. And one last meal before my house

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I buy mine at walmart when i get out there. I'd hate to buy the tag ahead of time and get hurt or have something else happen where i couldn't go on the hunt. That's a lot of money down the drain

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm way to OCD to wait and buy them at Walmart.. what if the machine was down? This happened once during a deer hunt in NY. I order online! Only downside is you have to hold on to it until you get there!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm way to OCD to wait and buy them at Walmart.. what if the machine was down? This happened once during a deer hunt in NY. I order online! Only downside is you have to hold on to it until you get there!

I'm too OCD to expect the CDOW to print them and the USPS to get them to me on time, and then as stated above.....then hope something doesn't prevent me from getting there, thereby throwing all the money down the drain. CO has 1000's of locations to buy tags once you get here. Heck, I live here and I'll still wait until the day before I head up to get my OTC tags.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Looks like I might do some research to make sure there is a good place to get one on the way in...if not, looks like I will roll the dice on getting it through the mail.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone on their hunts...we are getting close!

rokclmb

FNG
We had CDOW send our OTC archery tags through the mail after the draw was complete. Years past we'd buy once we arrived in CO. Be prepared for things to go wrong. One year the entire state system was down and we lost a day waiting for it to come back online (after trying 3 locations before learning of the system failure). Some of the places that sell license are completely clueless on what you're even talking about when you go in to buy tags and seem surprised come from across the country to hunt elk/deer, lol. Another year my CC was declined because they thought it was fraudulent activity. You've been warned!

Good luck this season!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It appears that there is no safe surefire way to get your tags as a NR. So the best solution would be to not risk it and just stay home.;)

elkyinzer

WKR
I buy them online then take lots of Imodium because it upsets my stomach knowing that I just paid $600+ just to sit in the woods for about a week and maybe get a crack at an elk. Then I think about the pensions and vehicle costs and depreciation and who knows what else I just paid for and pray that at least a few dollars of it goes back to elk habitat and conservation. So you are welcome, 5milesback, for subsidizing all that on your behalf ; )

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
It appears that there is no safe surefire way to get your tags as a NR. So the best solution would be to not risk it and just stay home.;)
HAHA, I was waiting for that to come up at some point!! I would probably think the same thing if I lived there.

Online for me. I just don't need another stop along the way. This year CO was crazy fast and I had it in days, but last year it was lost and that really caused me some stress.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Well, bit the bullet and just went for it...I was ridiculous and did the expedited shipping just so if there is an issue I have plenty of time to get it sorted out. We shall see!

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Im a resident of Colorado, but not sure that matters. I bought my OTC Archery tag on a Monday, and had the license in the mailbox Thursday afternoon when I got off work. My .02, do it on the internet. Avoids any problems, its in the system if you fail to receive the tag for any # of reasons, and it avoids any problems of CC/conservation #, etc....if you know of the issue (should it arise) before the season theres time to fix it vs at Walmart of small town CO where no one can.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
and pray that at least a few dollars of it goes back to elk habitat and conservation. So you are welcome, 5milesback, for subsidizing all that on your behalf ; )

I'd really like to see how or what the CDOW does with their money to actually do anything with elk habitat and conservation. Most all the places I hunt, I doubt a CDOW employee has even been in there for any reason, other than to check licenses.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider

So I should move to Colorado? Is that what you're telling me? That's not a bad idea. :)