2017 Elk opener

Wow, this Saturday is the opener for my Utah LE Elk archery hunt.

I have been going hard since Feb shooting the bow, building and testing various arrows, updating specific gear,etc.
I have replaced the insert on my Rhinehart 2 times already, and that means I am on # 3 for the year. Been shooting an average of 50-75 arrows a day.

I have started a Journal on the adventure trying to document the journey so I can look back and remember it, hopefully with fondness. This, due to my age is most likely my "Once in a Lifetime Elk Hunt" in the Utah, Beaver Mountain area. I keep telling myself to enjoy every part of this blessing.

My dad was suppose to come out from Wisc when I thought I was doing an OTC Spike Elk hunt, but then he had a heart attack, and had to cancel, and soon after I found out I drew the LE tag. I am a solo hunter so I have some challenges others wont.
- Dad is ok by the way.

After these changes I went into fast track mode on a whole new focus....

I never knew how much pressure went along with drawing a tag like this.
-Things like, what is too small of a bull
-When do I settle and take a decent but not big bull
-What if I don't tag out on this chance
-Will I be shaking if the big guy comes in

Fortunately there are some decent bulls in the area I am familiar with this year so I am pretty stoked to get out there.
My base camp is already set,, scouting has revealed both new things and confirmed old things.

I want to wish everyone a favorable year of hunting and hope you all enjoy the process

Here are my #1,2,3 if all things go well.

Attachments

• bull 9.jpg
    bull 9.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 520
  • elk 6x6.jpg
    elk 6x6.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 461
  • bull 6.jpg
    bull 6.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 474
  • bull 5.jpg
    bull 5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 399

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I second that.....you have done your homework both in the field and at home...now is the fun part!

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I hope you the best and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a great tag just try and relax and enjoy it. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hopefully they've fattened up a bit from when those pics were taken. They look a little skinny.

Personally, I think hunting solo is an advantage. Good luck.

OP
mfllood3800
Hopefully they've fattened up a bit from when those pics were taken. They look a little skinny.

Personally, I think hunting solo is an advantage. Good luck.
I was thinking the same thing
Body to horn seems out of proportion

It took a long time for the snow melt, but lots of new growth right now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Nice bulls! Glad to hear Dad's doing ok! Good luck on some awesome critters!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
mfllood3800
Looked at the weather forecast and it suppose to 90 down in town so about 75 up in the mountain. This is good for me as one of the new areas I discovered had a great water source running thru the deep draw bottom. I may rely on other pressure for this to pan out in my favor- but this is where solo hunting becomes a pain- getting it out.

Thx for the encouragement- I feel very confident, just want to do the right thing and not be the guy who says, "man I should've shot that bull on opening day" or the guy who while hauling out his 330 6 point sees the big 390- 7 point he was trying to get.
LOL
The adventure alone will be an experience to remember, and hopefully a freezer full of meat

I have never been the guy to save horns. I don't have a single set, and I have harvested a lot of animals. I was raised to eat what I shoot, not view it. Though if 2 animals were side by side I'd shoot the bigger one for sure.

But all the sudden I am looking at this a bit different.
Like 5MB said these guys are small bodied, but the food is good enough to get them hefty really quick. I am banking on them eating a lot.
That's one of my spots chosen to hunt

DEHusker

WKR
Whoa big guy....don't put too much pressure on yourself. This is a great tag but it's no reason to panic over small details. In my view, a tag like this is two different things. It's an absolutely fantastic hunt with minimal pressure and hopefully lots of animals. The other side of the coin is that you can afford to be picky because you can always shoot an elk here or there in other states or your own state. Enjoy the process and shoot the bull that feels right. You'll savor the memories and the adventure long after the kill shot. Just treat it as such.

We have put so much pressure on ourselves as hunters to "shoot the giant one" that we have a lot of times lost sight of what we are really trying to do and why we are doing it. Corporatization and capitalism, and these outrageously unrealistic TV shows have driven us to feel bad if we don't shoot the big one, all that is bunk. Go out and savor life, savor your health, savor the opportunity to chase one of God's creatures in its most natural surroundings. But by all means don't come back hanging your head if you don't have a bull. However, celebrate that bull when he does hit the ground. Good luck and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing some pictures!

Guff

FNG
I agree don't put so much pressure on yourself that you don't enjoy the hunt. I am guilty of turning hunting into work and at that point it really isn't that much fun. Sounds like you have an awesome tag, have fun and go fill it!!! Can't wait to see pics.

How long of a season do you have to hunt? Is it strictly an early season tag?

OP
mfllood3800
Yes very early
It lasts just up the peak of the rut

The tag is incredible and with it comes the pressure

I'm not trying to add any to the hunt
It had plenty all on its own
Lol

My Approach has been methodical, calculated and intentional

I am not treating this like any other hunt cause its not

I appreciate all the encouragement

I'm pretty sure pics will follow, once I settle into their routine

In this area they stay consistent to some degree

But I've only chases spikes and cows, so never got involved with the bulls.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The tag is incredible and with it comes the pressure

But I've only chases spikes and cows, so never got involved with the bulls.

Chasing big bulls is a whole new ball game and very addictive. I would plan to hunt the entire season with a tag like that, and not settle. There is so much to be learned in a high quality unit with limited pressure. Don't cut that short if you can help it. I can look back at times where I passed up pretty good bulls because of the "potential" in a unit, and I always learned something very valuable later on in those seasons that I could use for future hunting.

So, use it as a learning experience and shoot what you're happy with. But you can shoot smaller bulls any other year.

OP
mfllood3800
5MB
Thx for the words, it is almost exactly what I am processing right now.
Problem is there is going to be a ton of pressure as Archery Spike/Cow and deer all open the same day, as does rifle bear. The woods are full of Kuiu , Sitka and FL.
lol

Only 8 bull tags on this unit.
I will be hunting every day I can until I get it.

The pics I put up are the bulls I wouldn't hesitate shooting , even first day. They are my #1,2,3 bulls.

I just wish it would get here so I can start.

I have gotten a lot of PM and I thank every one for those as well as you all on here.

I feel blessed to have this tag, and cant wait for the adventure to start up there. Its been a heck of a one already doing all the early season stuff.

I put some "Bowmar" string stops on my PSE yesterday. Didn't realize the leg holding the bottom cam was slightly bent, and it allowed the string at full draw to get caught behind it, and the limbs locked up at full draw. I kicked the arrow out, ran into the garage and got it in the press and had a heck of a time getting the pressure off the limbs so I could fix it. They kept wanting to throw the bow down out of the EZ Press. I finally got the main string off and the cable pulled back in front and everything fixed. I added a washer and longer bolt to kick it out further to hit the string in the middle of this stop, but realized the stop was hitting part of the cable at 90 % full draw where it cycled past the cable. I finally bent it a bit and got the clearance, then shot about 30 arrows thru it.

I was thinking the same thing all of you are, "why change something that isn't broke, especially this late"? These stops really keep the back wall solid and don't allow any creep with this cam set up, forcing me to stay consistent on my draw cycle. My thought was I want to make sure I do everything I can, let the bow do what it can and leave the results up to fate from there on.

Sorry for the long story, but This is part of the adventure I am already having. Its been a great story so far and hope it ends well.

cnelk

WKR
A limited entry tag comes with pressure regardless of what people say.
I've had a couple over the years

1- 2009 - Once in a Lifetime Colorado Bull moose tag... took 18 years to draw... now THAT'S some pressure.

2- 2012 - Waited 12 years to archery elk hunt Unit 61 in Colorado

My moose hunt ended on day 1, at noon.
I do remember having the sense of pressure that morning because a snow storm blew in and the weather wasnt favorable.
But it ended up being just fine

My archery elk in 61 ended on the 3rd morning.
It was a great time with friends, and I didnt shoot the biggest bull in the unit but the memories are huge.

Moral of this?
Man, just let it happen. It will all work out. Dont force it

Attachments

• 2009_moose.jpg
    2009_moose.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 212
  • 3_friends.jpg
    3_friends.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 222
OP
mfllood3800
Awesome moose.

I have this part in me that is on auto pilot and is just gonna do what I know to do, but there is that small part that yells very loud that increases the anxiety due to pressure of the type of hunt.

Its not all I think about, but when I do, its, Which spot, where should I come in from with other hunters there, what about the afternoon and evening.
The hunt itself offers so many options and variables, while my bull selection is quite less. Each day I scratch off the list the questions I am still asking and I have opening mornings area chosen.

But with Public Land Hunting, I have learned to have a great plan, but let the elk decide where I go.
To me this is the best part, they are in charge, and I am fortunate to be in their woods chasing them.

OP
mfllood3800
I'm not the only predator
751ac1a741866be3ff895d1d1cc31b61.jpg

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP