Looking to elk hunt the fourth season in Colorado's GMU 581 any advise?

zanc3ll

FNG
I am looking to hunt Colorado elk unit 581 during the fourth rifle season. Am I wasting my time with this unit or is it worth the hike in. This will be my first western elk hunt and my main concerns are about the pack out and number of hunters in that specific unit. Does anyone have any advise for success in this unit. Also should I make arrangements with buddies to help with the pack out or am I capable of hoofing it out if I do get an elk on the ground. Any advise at all would be really appreciated. Thanks to anyone who has any feed back.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Couple questions... you said it's your first Western hunt, so you're local now or coming from out of state/ town? You also mention "hiking in", where are you looking to hike into? And do you mean backpacking in?

There's a recent thread on packing that lists average quarter and extra meat weights. It depends on you if you can do that solo or need help. Over 200 pounds of meat, head, etc. is no joke and nothing like a deer.

That's a pretty tough late season unit- there's quite a bit of private ground and in my experience the elk move onto the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument pretty quick after the rut. There's probably better late season units out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People pack out animals alone all the time. How is someone else supposed to say whether you are up to it?

You're location says CO. How far from 581 do you live? Fourth rifle is almost three months away. Burn a weekend and some gas to go look at it.

OP
Z

zanc3ll

FNG
I am in the Springs so it is only about an hour drive to the unit. So I would be mostly looking at day tripping and camping out at the trail head, or getting out at first light and hunting all day. The only reason I am looking to do fourth season is that I work almost every day from here till the middle of November. I figured that it would be a harder unit with the pressure and the proximity to the Springs. Just curious if anyone had any luck with that late in the season. Thanks everyone for the replies.