Bullet Question

Aberardu

FNG
Let me set the stage before I ask the question:
First elk hunt.
Hunting 2nd rifle season in Colorado
Using my Remington 700, 30-06.

Question is this: Given that I cannot change my rifle, I'm wondering if 10g more bullet than what I normally shot will make all that much difference. I currently shoot 168g ballistic silver tips from Winchester. My rifle loves them! 1/2" MOA at 100. Its been suggested I jump to 178g Hornady Precision Hunter, also with ballistic tip. Should I go to the trouble of making the switch or stick with my current bullet? Reminder, I'm not looking for suggestions for other rifles or calibers. Thanks for your thoughts?

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
If you were starting from scratch I'd suggest a premium 180. Sounds like you've got something that shoots well already, so you're likely fine. I'd hunt with what you've got dialed in.

muddydogs

WKR
Most guys I know that shoot the 06 shoot the 168 grain bullet or something around there. One buddy shoots the Barnes TTSX at 168 grain and the other shoots Nosler Accubond 160 grainers. I'm not sure about the Win bullet you are currently shooting but if its a good bullet I would stick with it. If you want to switch bullets I would look at the Accubond as they do well in elk.

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with what works for you no need to change anything now. That's plenty of bullet out of that gun.

bpctcb

WKR
I would lean towards a controlled expansion bullet; and I don't think the ballistic tip Silvertips are, are they?
Get a 165 grain Accubond or Patition and don't look back.

BP

I've seen lots of elk fall to ballistic silvertips. '06, .270, .308, 7 mag, etc. If you shoot it well, use it. I've personally killed 3 elk with these bullets in a 300 Win, and have seen no reason why I'd need a different round. If you feel like you need a change, the Nosler Accubond is a huge favorite among elk slayers but you don't need it. Make sure the cross hairs are in the right spot and your bull will fall. Figuring out where that bull is and how to get within a quarter mile of him is the real concern.....

hwy1strat

WKR
Maybe, just buy a box and try it. No need to rezero just to try the ammo out at 100 yards. If it doesn't work then don't worry about it. If it does shoot, then you can use that 1st 3 shot group to adjust your scope, shoot 1 or 2 more 3 shot groups to get your zero and then your done and you have 11 rounds left to hunt with. I've had great success with the hornady precision hunter ammo out of my rifle, also a 30-06. Very good ammo and it's only $30 for a box of 20. Maybe you'll like it more. I'd probably try the HSM ammo with the 210gr VLD's while you're at it.

Here is an excerpt from ballisticstudies.com about the silvertip:

"Winchester’s two middle weights include the 165gr pointed soft point at 2800fps and the 168gr Ballistic Silvertip at 2790fps. The 165 grain soft point is an explosive bullet, working extremely well on light to mid weight game. This bullet has a rather low BC and loses the ability to create hydrostatic shock at around 70 yards but continues to create broad, fast killing wounds, out to ranges of around 300 yards. The 168 grain BST is often a slow killer on game weighing under 90kg, especially at lower impact velocities. The 168 grain BST is best suited to animals weighing between 90 and 200kg (200 to 440lb) out to maximum ranges of around 400 yards."

.30-06 Springfield