Mescalero cow elk hunt

I have a son that is graduating next June and was hoping for some information about the cow elk hunt on the Mescalero Reservation. The price is hard to beat for a meat hunt but wanting to know if there is anyone on here that has done it and what to expect. We would be applying for the October hunt for next year. I have called there a couple of times and haven't had any luck speaking to someone.

I've never been on the reservation but I've hunted around there. That whole area is a hotbed for elk. You should have no trouble finding cows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
plumber1969,
I drew a January cow tag for the Mescalero Res. Had hopes of bringing a grandson along on this trip. I will be in a position to give you some feedback when I return. I applied for this hunt early in the year, unaware that I would also draw a public land bull tag in NM unit 52. This is a first for me having 2 elk tags in the same year! Suggest you reach out to me after the mid-December cow hunt. I will be happy to help you at that time.

LaGriz

OP
P
I am only posting this as a warning to others who may try this in the future. We called the Inn of the Mountain Gods Big Game Hunt people and asked a specific question, "will the drawing results be available prior to April 3rd?" We were told the drawing would be on March 19th and we could call on the 26th of March to get the results. Well we did that, and were told to call back today. Now today they are saying next week. I explained to him that this is unacceptable and I asked a specific question about us being notified prior to the deadline for Colorado. Now he is saying well you can try back on Friday. The issue I have is when I ask a specific question all I want is the truth. I don't have 4 weeks to take off and drive across the country 2 different times nor do I want to. I also had to send a cashiers check for that hunt for the 2 of us. You are at their mercy when they send it back, allegedly May 1st.

Has anybody else dealt with this when dealing with them? Makes me really appreciate CPW and the WGF. Sorry for the rant.

Btaylor

WKR
I can understand your frustrations but couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of I am assuming a non-native American up in arms about how the Indians are treating him.

stonewall

WKR
I’ve applied there before unsuccessfully. As I recall I had no issues but I was also warned ahead of time that they do things on their own timeline which is highly varied. A friend of mine applied there a few times and he basically described them as unorganized. I’d just skip the co draw and go otc if u have too. That’s what I’d do anyway. Best wishes to u

OP
P
I can understand your frustrations but couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of I am assuming a non-native American up in arms about how the Indians are treating him.

Ironic as it is, but I had nothing to do with the past and those that live like it will never learn to appreciate the present or future. I treat everyone with respect, regardless of their race or ancestry. All I asked for was for them to be honest, which they haven't been. I would just rather they return my refund, and they can keep their elk.