Calling Locations

In terms of merely getting responses, where have you found to be the best places to do location bugles?

I know ridges are somewhat common and have the benefit of allowing sound to go into multiple drainages, though I sometimes think it can be too far from elk and artificial. Do you find it best to drop into a drainage a quarter mile or so?

How far have you gotten responses from? My personal best is over a mile. I called from a ridge and it was way in some meadows 2,000 feet lower. Go figure.

I have a rut hunt coming up and plan to focus on calling before and shortly after sunrise.

Thanks.

Ryan2782

FNG
If the elk are there and want to talk, you could be on the ridge or down in the drainage. Every elk is different, and you'll need to find a hunting style that works best for your style of hunting and calling. Just what you didn't want to hear! I prefer ridges to cover more area and a sounds that can travel further(personal preference for myself) I like ridges is that it does give me a better hearing advantage if elk respond from far away. On the other hand, I've been on ridges before with no replies, and finally switching areas I had to go down and around. I've gone down and bugled I've gotten responses from defensive bulls when I got more into their 'bubble'.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
One calling position/sequence may not be enough. I've had a bull I was confident was in an area and we kept working the wind, setting up, calling, wait, move again, wash rinse repeat. Bull did not respond until the 4th or 5th setup then ran in at full speed with 2 cows on his heels. This was in a dense flattish area on a finger ridge between drainages.

elkguide

WKR
Bulls don't like to come uphill to a fight and I prefer to call from no more than halfway up a hillside. In large enough expanses and with some wind thrown in, it can be difficult enough to pin point where the response is coming from so I like to limit that too and I find that it is easier to do that from the bottoms.