Wyoming Thorofare Elk

RedSnake

FNG
Booked a hunt in the Thorofare for 2019. Haven't been up there since 1988 but have been trying to get back ever since. I hear the wolf and Griz numbers have taken a toll on Elk. Anybody with recent experience

mntnguide

WKR
Depends on what region of thorofare and what outfitter you are going with...Some regions hold elk better now adays than others, therefore some outfitters have better hunting than others. Grizzlies are thick and plentiful, and wolves are present but not destroying elk herds. No matter what, you should have a great hunt. Are you going September or Late october for migration? I will be at the head of the thorofare region in October this year trying to hit the migration with a friend. I love the country and its worth the sore ass to get there!

mntnguide

WKR
You chose well. Lynn is a top notch guy and his outfit is one of the best. I used to run into him on the trails all the time. Ill be up in his country in October. Hope for snow! if you get the weather, it can be one of the best hunts in the lower 48 for a good bull IMO. Nonetheless, you will have a great hunt in amazing country, and should have a chance at great bulls hopefully!

wyosteve

WKR
I hunted the Thorofare out of the South Fork twice in the past 3 years and can attest to lots of elk in that area. I could have shot 5 other bulls last year on the same day I took mine. I hunted the southern Thorofare for many years, including close to Hawks Rest, and still lots of elk there as well. They have adapted to the wolves and bears it seems.

weaver

WKR
Thorofare is one of those places that I really want to hunt sometime. If I ever do a guided hunt it'll probably be in there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Rveen

FNG
Went on a guided hunt the first two weeks of October last year in that area (unit 60 & 70). I did not go with Yellowstone Outfitters but saw several of their pack strings on the trail. They had a snowstorm prior to our hunt that immediately sent the elk to lower elevation. They got 3 foot of snow at the high country and we had a foot at camp (8,500'). We saw some cows and heard a couple bulls (saw a couple bulls when we arrived at camp migrating down the mountain). Lots and lots of elk sign, just bad timing. Saw fresh grizzly tracks everyday, only one hunter ever saw one. Saw a pack of wolf tracks the last day of our hunt. You will enjoy, pray you don't get snow until your hunt starts.

Last edited:
You will have a great hunt the Thorofare is awesome I guided for 5 years in there. The elk numbers seem to be up in the Thorofare the camp I was in had 100% success last year. I guided for Hidden Creek Outfitters. The Wolf and bear numbers are up as well so just be aware. Nothing quite like being in the Thorofare its pretty awesome up there!!

If anyone is in the vicinity of Bridger Lake in the next couple of weeks and happens to run into an old timer (69) named Dennis backpacking by himself tell my dad I say hi. I've gotta make time to get into the thorofare country with him before his backpacking days are in the rear view mirror.

wyosteve

WKR
Commando--dang, I wish I'd have remembered this thread. Your dad came to our camp on Sat. afternoon to pick up a box of food we packed in for him. What a great guy. I'm more than impressed with his backpacking ability. I was tired riding a horse up and over the pass and he does it on his feet. Anyway, he was doing great.

Droptine

FNG
I'm booked with Lynn for 2021. Gonna be a long wait but sounds like a great trip. We're doing the September 19-29 hunt.

mntnguide

WKR
I'm booked with Lynn for 2021. Gonna be a long wait but sounds like a great trip. We're doing the September 19-29 hunt.

You wont regret the wait. Getting on the 1st hunt with Lynn is hard especially if you are not a return hunter. I guided for years right next to his area, and i know you will have a great hunt. Lynn runs a top notch outfit. Only thing i will tell you, if you dont have much horse experience, Id highly suggest trying to get a little...30 miles on day 1 will make you wish you had once your there! Otherwise, you will have a great hunt in incredible country!

wyosteve

WKR
Not exactly elk related, but Thorofare related. Going to finally scratch one off the 'bucket list' in July. Ride/pack from Jackson/Turpin Meadows through the Thorofare to South Fork/Cody. Will report back on elk sightings, etc.

jeffpg

WKR
Great thread!

This is a hunt that I've wanted to do since I heard about it, but had almost no information on it. I believe I'll start planning....

280ack

FNG
Ive been to the west end of unit 60 a few times, always had elk and deer around. going back this year with the same outfit because he works hard and its a great and productive time.
You guys are talking about getting into the area from the Cody side over Deer Creek pass ? Are you hunting north and east of the Yellowstone river?

CX5Ranch

WKR
This is obviously a wilderness area correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
My trip is only 7 weeks away — can’t believe it’s finally here. Drew an elk tag and mule deer tag

Any recent reports on how things are looking up there?
Its not on fire yet, and it hasnt snowed yet. What else are you hoping to find out? haha...but seriously, thats about as good an answer i can give you for that country for right now depending on what your hoping to find out.

This is obviously a wilderness area correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes