ML in Colorado Archery seasons

So our Bowhunting org sent out a survey in response to a hunting accident last year involving a ML and Archer. There were several options being thrown around but the one that stuck out to me was.

"5. Separate archery and muzzleloader seasons entirely (no overlap in dates)."

This seems to be the best option in my mind. I never understood why there is overlap. I'd rather have 3 solid gun free weeks than 4, with a gun season in the middle. Plus, I too was nearly a victim 4 years ago due to a ML incident.

Your take?

OP
C
In a perfect world, there are several options. Without moving season dates and the fact we're really not talking about a week, but more like 9 days, I'd gladly give them the last 9 days. There are better options if you can move season dates but CO being what it is, that's unlikely.

vanish

WKR
I almost never see muzzy hunters in the field.

Colorado already has really short seasons. I would be pretty upset if archery got any shorter, as its the only season where I can spend enough time in the woods without taking vacation from work.

OP
C
I have several opinions on this, but since this site isn't exclusively archery, it would be good to get feedback from other guys from other states. It doesn't really matter if you see, or don't see ML guys in the field. At the end of the day, you have a firearm season during an archery season and like most things, if it doesn't affect you, well, then all is fine but in my opinion, it isn't necessary.

Colorado has had a steady firearm encroachment into our Archery seasons. It would be nice to pump the brakes and if at all possible, consider alternative options for the next 5 year season structure.

cnelk

WKR
Even tho YOU are willing to give up the last 9 days, that is probably a minority decision

The 'Quiet Time' is starting to become more and more on the radar to create seasons.
Last year Unit 61 started a new rifle season during the quiet time, there are a few up in NW units too.

And what about the Early Rifle Deer seasons [above 10,000ft] that run Sept 2-10?

Lots more to consider than just a week or so of ML season

OP
C
I agree, hence my question. When is enough enough? S32 used to be archery only. Then enough sheep weren't being taken and they let rifles in. Here we are years ahead, the sheep numbers are way down due to transplants etc. We will never get rifles out of S32. Now like you say, HC deer hunts, September Bear hunts, ML season right in the middle of Archery season it's getting complicated and for what reason?

The quiet time is BS, and it needs to be tapped. My option about giving up the last 9 days is solely based on existing structure. I'd much prefer the whole season as is, and push the ML guys back into the quiet time but what are the chances that will happen?

cnelk

WKR
I love archery elk hunting. But if the MLs get a season during the quiet time, I'm getting one of my 3 MLs ready to go elk hunting

I don't hunt Colorado, but I'd say it should be left as is. Better to have the chance to get away from other hunters than lose time in the field, IMO.

Making orange mandatory would be my choice if I had to choose between that and a shorter season.

cnelk

WKR
I took the CBA survery.
The questions/options to me were sorta 'vanilla' which IMO it means the CBA BOD arent really pursuing a change.
But sent out a 'survey' to say that they did.

I believe the CBA BOD will do the right thing

dotman

WKR
I think it's a dumb idea, accidents can and do happen. What next no broadhead allowed to be attached to an arrow until your ready to shoot. I hunt the ML season because I have buddies that like to ML hunt and some years I like to ML hunt as well, I also have been known to hunt the special bear rifle season which is all of sep and yup I take the rifle. It doesn't bother me at all, I think it's greedy for one weapon guys to think only their weapon matters.

So imo maybe archery should be shortened to two weeks and ML given two weeks.

OP
C
@hiContry No, like many, I changed to archery only seasons to get away from the masses and to enjoy the better weather.

@CNelk so you wold pick that ML up why? Due to less people or perceived better season dates? Either way, it would be an indirect way of alleviating pressure in the archery seasons as some (as you may do) would pick up other weapons and hunt different seasons.

@Dotman It sounds like you're a multi-use hunter. Nothing at all wrong with that. The only problem is the archery seasons have been encroached upon and what used to be a pretty quiet time has now gotten more crowded with long range weapons. In a perfect world, status quo for archery would be nice, and have ML start after the season has closed during the so called "Quiet time".

This holier than thou archery attitude gets old fast, especially from the CBA. The rifle bear season has been around for quite awhile and so have the above timberline deer hunts. I have never seen any conflict between those two and archers. Muzzleloader season has always been in the middle of archery for as long as I can remember with very few incidents. Yes, what happened was a tragedy, but I don't feel you need to change everything or ban something whenever an incident occurs. Having said that the quiet time is pure b.s. look at Wyoming, Utah, and others who have seasons during the "quiet" time and have much better elk than Colorado. I do know if that 9 day period was given to muzzleloaders the archers would have a fit. Archers have it pretty good so I don't see why all the complaining last time I checked I have never seen a rifle or muzzleloading only unit, or hunt?

dotman

WKR
@hiContry No, like many, I changed to archery only seasons to get away from the masses and to enjoy the better weather.

@CNelk so you wold pick that ML up why? Due to less people or perceived better season dates? Either way, it would be an indirect way of alleviating pressure in the archery seasons as some (as you may do) would pick up other weapons and hunt different seasons.

@Dotman It sounds like you're a multi-use hunter. Nothing at all wrong with that. The only problem is the archery seasons have been encroached upon and what used to be a pretty quiet time has now gotten more crowded with long range weapons. In a perfect world, status quo for archery would be nice, and have ML start after the season has closed during the so called "Quiet time".

But you are not looking at this from outside an archery hunters view, in CO archery has the longest season but accounts for a small percentage of the harvest. If aarchery was reduced to a two week season harvest results would stay about the same with maybe a slight drop. If ML was given a two week season, say the last two weeks of Sep this would create a good option for those with pref points. Increase the ML draw tags.

Archery guys are spoiled in CO, I mainly hunt CO with a bow but don't be shocked if a change does happen it's not in the favor of archery hunters. Truthfully I can see an Archery season from Aug 25th - Sep 12th and a ML season from Sep 13th - Oct 5th.

Personally I would pref to see no change or to have archery season open from Aug 25 - Dec 31 and the rifle and ML season stay where they are.

cnelk

WKR

When I switched to ML and archery it wasnt for hunting pressure reasons. I figured out that the areas I hunt the patterns of the elk were better earlier.
Sure I shot em up with the rifle, but when I switched to archery/ml , my success rates went thru the roof.
Since 1998, there have only been 3 years I didnt shoot an elk, and some years I shot 2

In my CO GMUs there are about 4x as many archery tags as muzzleloader. That being said, I have had very few conflicts in having other hunters in my areas or "pressure" in general. When I hunted the exact same areas in rifle 3rd and 4th seasons the pressure was much more significant with lots of orange vests everywhere. All things being equal - go further back and get away from the roads and that will reduce any conflicts or pressure more than anything else. In the units I am familiar with the overlap is a non-issue.