ML in Colorado Archery seasons

jm1607

WKR
I'm all about splitting it up with no overlap. In fact the first time I ever hunted CO I couldn't believe there was an overlap to begin with! Archery already has a very long season. Not sure the best way to split up the dates though...

As an archer I would prefer hunting without people in the woods carrying guns when I'm not wearing orange. Especially when I use a decoy..

As a muzzleloader I would love the opportunity to hunt with way less pressure from archers before the rifles take over..

elkduds

WKR
CPW took a bite out of "quiet time" by adding the early elk rifle season in 61 last year. I wonder if 1st rifle season success would decrease if ML season happened the week before it. 1st rifle has the highest elk success (excluding late and private seasons) in nearly every unit, and it is only 5 days long. This supposedly has to do w elk returning to public land after archery season ends, during quiet time.

OP
C
I have some inside info and I'm hearing the hands are being forced. I don't think we will sit at status quo. Hopefully we will continue having a long season and ML will get pushed to the end of season or into the quiet time. The writing is in the wall.

vanish

WKR
It doesn't really matter if you see, or don't see ML guys in the field. At the end of the day, you have a firearm season during an archery season and like most things, if it doesn't affect you, well, then all is fine but in my opinion, it isn't necessary.

You ask for my take, and then you tell me my opinion is irrelevant, and force your opinion down our throats? What's your real goal here?

cnelk

WKR
Again.
There isnt just MLs in archery season, there is also rifle bear and rifle deer.
That makes 3 so-called 'rifle' seasons

Think 'Forest' not 'Trees'

I believe his goal is to have a month or 5 week season with no one else in the woods. Guess he forgot that no matter if they take away muzzleloader and early bear. They will never get rid of small game, grouse, and fall turkey. Archers have never had the season to themselves and never will.

I mentioned fall turkey because you can use a centerfire rilfe for them

Excellent point. Have started seeing more turkey in my area so that will impact future hunts probably. By the same token, I took a turkey with my ML two years ago there so it worked in my favor too!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's just like everything else in our current state of affairs in our messed up society today.......ONE idiot screws up and the liberals seem to think that they have to do something to protect all of us from doom or danger. So penalize everyone because of one individual that couldn't figure out where to point his ML when pulling the trigger?

I'm sick and tired of the government and regulations........all regulations at this point, because of how bad it's gotten. As well as the liberal mentality that that everyone should have their hands held for everything in life. That, the entitlement mentality, and regulations are ruining this country. I'd rather an every man for himself mentality at this point than to continue down this road of idiocy that we've gotten stuck on from the left and the government.

OP
C
@ CNelk, I agree, but what I'm hearing is the family (very sad situation) is pushing change and the fact a ML was involved is why they're looking at this. Don't shoot the messenger.

It would be great to have a full season as a bowhunter but I made it clear above, for me, I'd take the first 3 weeks without MLs vs the full monty with ML in the middle.

@ Orion, No, As stated, 3 weeks would be good without ML interruption as they are in direct competition with archers unlike bear, turkey, grouse, and ground squirrels, marmots etc. I guess you could remove bear from that list, as it's a totally different hunt in my mind.

Last edited:
Don't you feel though that a majority of archers would rather have the last 3 weeks then the first? No matter what not everyone will be happy. I feel it should stay status quo, you never know what kind of can of worms this could open if they start restructuring seasons whenever an incident occurs

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It would be great to have a full season as a bowhunter but I made it clear above, for me, I'd take the first 3 weeks without MLs vs the full monty with ML in the middle.

I'd rather they leave it as is than give up a week........especially the last week.

The problem with the family pushing for change is multiple.........first of all, why does one family get preference over anyone else? Second, if I was shot and killed by a ML, my family knows I'd find a way to come back and kick their rear ends if they even thought about changing things just because of that. And thirdly, some of those options do nothing at all for change. I.E.......making a new regulation that bowhunters wear orange. Well..........wearing orange is ALREADY an option for whomever wants to wear it. No regulation needed for the rest of us that won't.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give up the last week? That's is just plain crazy talk
b2d3329ae5db18093ca3ca139a7e4fbf.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Again they are setting a huge precedent if they do in fact make a change because of this incident. People will be able to cite it and use it for many agendas that will probably hurt all of us in the long run

dotman

WKR
If the family is pushing for this they need to place their grief elsewhere. Accidents happen, you are more likely to die from being impaired by deadfall or a widow maker then shot, hell more people are struck by lightning each season then shot.

Accidents are tragic but this is not common.

Btaylor

WKR
Not familiar with the incident so correct me if this doesn't apply but maybe changing the rules to allow scoped MLs would be a better fix than monkeying with the seasons. Would help with target identification.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking to identify things through your scope, its only making the problem worse. The target should be identified by eyes only or bino/spotter before a weapon is ever pointed at it.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
If you are looking to identify things through your scope, its only making the problem worse. The target should be identified by eyes only or bino/spotter before a weapon is ever pointed at it.

So in addition to wearing orange we should also make it a requirement that every hunter must have binos or a spotter in their possession to be legally hunting? I completely understand your point and agree that firearm safety should be in grained in every hunter but it just is not. My thought process was that the scope would serve as a last line of defense for a mistaken shot not a first line.